You are not logged in.

#1 08-10-06 19:55:00

alsiewowsie
Verified Member

Controls Lesson??

On the PST1 controls lesson, do you mention ABS and if so how far do you go into it?

or would you avoid it, Id mention Power Steering but is talking about ABS really necessary at this stage?

your thoughts...  neutral

-----------
Part 3, prepare for war!!

08-10-06 19:55:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Controls Lesson??

#2 08-10-06 20:51:49

luchell

When you talk about the brakes on the vehicle you could give a quick mention to the fact this car does have Abs what it stands for and that it will be covered in a future lesson in more detail(pst 5). That way you don't end up going off at a tangent about something that doesn't need to be put in, in detail on that lesson.

#3 08-10-06 21:01:29

pj
Verified Member

I don't mention it on a controls lessons.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#4 08-10-06 21:12:31

luchell

I always teach the MUST knows, then the SHOULD knows then the COULD knows if time really permits. Abs is a could know on controls as far as i am concerned it is not at the top of my list of priorites lol.

#5 08-10-06 21:13:03

alsiewowsie
Verified Member

what about the dual braking system?

-----------

#6 08-10-06 21:24:57

Evan

You should mentions the dual controls on the way to site as you would to a learner driver. Also mention them again when talking about foot controls. Ev

#7 08-10-06 21:27:10

alsiewowsie
Verified Member

I ment the dual braking system as in the way the brakes work...

such as the rear left with the front right and the front left with the rear right.... should one fail the other wont??

I only ask because I did a controls lesson today with one of my trainers and he said i could mention it....

-----------

#8 08-10-06 21:31:32

luchell

Its a could again. Keep things simple with enough info work your briefings from the MUST know to the SHOULD know to the COULD know that way the most important essential info gets a look in with the shoulds coming next and the coulds as a final put in should time allow and you've sailed quickly through the MUST and SHOULD. Does that help at all?

I found by listing my briefings like that i didn't begin over complicating things i didn't have time for smile One of the hardest things for me to grasp was not over complicating as i am known for it lol.

#9 08-10-06 21:34:13

luchell

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a learner who has never sat in the drivers seat before. They need to remember the bits they MUST know if you cloud them with to many bits that are not essential you risk them not remembering the most important parts. You need to give enough information yes but not too much so the learner (S.e in role included) is overwhelmed having forgotten how to use something because they cannot pull out the most important info you gave them.

#10 08-10-06 21:35:26

Evan

Ask yourself a simple question, how much would a pupil take in. Most of them don't even know the colour of the car they are in never mind how the brakes work.

The controls lesson is an introduction to the controls of the car, the following week you are going to probably have to q and a and go over it all again anyway.

The SE wants to make sure you cover all the necessary controls, so just do that.

If someone asks you to dig a hole don't make work for yourself by asking how deep for God's sake. Ev

#11 08-10-06 21:41:21

alsiewowsie
Verified Member

cool, i too thought it was too much info...

I had a struggle to remember what the dual braking system was and i have a gnvq2 in motor vehicle engineering, so how a pupil or why a pupil would need to  confused me a bit...

I'll leave it out of my briefings anyway..

thanks

-----------

#12 08-10-06 22:15:22

pj
Verified Member

dual braking systems, now that is too much information, only learnt about that myself when I was doing the dipolma lol
remember you only have 30mins on your part 3, how short have you managed to get the controls lesson so far, can remember when I first started I couldn't get everything in under 30mins, can now smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Board footer