You are not logged in.

#1 12-12-04 21:21:58

MarkReading

Does having IAM and RoSPA passes help me in my ADI training?

Hi Everyone,

I started with the IAM back in '91 then went to my local RoSPA Group in '92. Since then I've gone from getting a Bronze to SIlver then got my goal I wanted - the Gold. This year I have even gone one better and gained the RoSPA National Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction.

Because of this success, I have started to train as an ADI and just passed my Part 1. I am now wondering if having this Advanced Driving qualifications behind me will help me in the Parts 2 & 3 or give me major problems?

I am a Senior Observer for my RoSPA Thames Valley Group and enjoy this so much and I do hope the coming year I will get the passes that I want so I can move intothis field. In fact, Fleet Driver Training is where I want to be.

Am I being to forward in my thinking?

Any advice will be very gratefully recieved.  big_smile

12-12-04 21:21:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Does having IAM and RoSPA passes help me in my ADI training?

#2 12-12-04 22:26:54

MarkReading

So many people view yet have nothing constructive to say or add...... :?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-12-04 22:27:06

dashdriving.com
Website

Mark,

Your IAM and RoSPA training will be very useful to you for the part two driving test. You will still need to ensure that you fully and completely understand the DSA syllabus and the MS-PSL routine, not just the IPSGA routine you'll have used so far. In truth, you shouldn't find this much of a problem.

The training you've had will help because you'll be used to looking far ahead and planning your driving, you'll be at ease with other people analysing what you're doing and you'll have some experience of that "Oh no, it's a test!!" feeling.

ADI part 3 is an entirely different kettle of fish. You will need to get plenty of training with a good ADI trainer. You can't just sit and observe, you have to be actively involved and try to predict what might happen - both on the road ahead and at the same time with your learner. Active involvement and instruction are essential. Please don't imagine that ADI part 3 is about sitting in the passanger seat and watching what happens!!

I am a very, very big fan of the IAM and RoSPA and I regularly defend any and all attacks against them, but I have to be truthfull in saying that there really is a world of difference in pointing out new techniques to trainee advanced drivers and actually instructing a learner driver. In this instance I really am unsure if your IAM and RoSPA training will be of much help. The two really are miles apart. In my experience, the observers I know who are also ADI's say that the part 3 test (and being an instructor in general) is much harder work.

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#4 12-12-04 22:39:17

MarkReading

Thanks Dave for this helpful information.

I was hoping that my Part 2 section of my ADI would benefit from some of the training I have with the IAM & RoSPA.

I can also relate to the difference that the Part 3 will bring. I see that teaching Learners is a totally different kettle of fish compared with what I am already doing on a volunteer basis. The one thing that I do think will help in this though is being next to people and 'talking' to them. Helping them understand and how to make them see what they are doing. Also how far one must look in advance so that you can relay this information to the 'L' and get them to them drive accordingly.

I'm hoping this forum will offer valuable information to me and I hope I can ask you things if I need help?

Regards
Mark  smile

#5 12-12-04 22:54:41

dashdriving.com
Website

Mark,

Ask away !! My e-mail address is on the tab at the bottom and also on the web site.

IAM and RoSPA training is absolutely superb preparation for part two. As I said, you still need to get into the DSA way of thinking . . . MS-PSL, *indicating even when there's nothing there* etc etc. I would recommend that any PDI goes through the advanced driving tests to help them along.

Also, the training that you have in looking well ahead, identifying and anticipating hazards and asking the all important "What if?" will get you off to a flying start in part 3, BUT . . .  part 3 has many traps for the unwary. Seriously Mark, I cannot even begin to tell you the difference. You'll have that PDI on part 3 headache before long !!

All the very best,

Dave Hartley

** I actually agree with DSA on this, although you have no idea how much I hate to admit it!! It's an involved subject. E-mail me if you wish to discuss.

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#6 13-12-04 11:38:10

MarkReading

Dave,

Just the last couple of posting by you on here has helped me in the way I'll be looking into Part2 & 3. In fact I know I'll be enjoyig every minute of the training I'll be getting.

I was hoping that the IAM & RoSPA training would be of some benefit so hopefully, Part 2 wont be as stressfull as it could've been and I can then concentrate more onto Part 3 in the early months of 2005.

If I do need any advice I know who I'll be emailing now if you don't mind  smile

Many thanks once again

#7 13-12-04 15:27:45

dashdriving.com
Website

Mark,

No problem. If you need any advice at all, or you're unsure of anything, please drop me an e-mail. I'll be happy to try and help.

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley

www.dashdriving.com

#8 13-12-04 18:36:19

ExAdiNigel

Mark,

I have pm'd you.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 13-12-04 23:29:57

Airmiles

You should do the DIA Advanced test, as it is based on the DSAs Driving Manual syllabus, and therefore exactly like the Part 2. ......Pass this and Part 2 is easy....

Board footer