You are not logged in.

#1 24-11-04 23:03:21

Lynne
Verified Member

Why does IAM seem more popular than RoSPA?

Hi All

I am having such a great time going out with my Observer (retired traffic cop) we've had some interesting discussions and after going out for 2 hrs yesterday came back with a great buzz.

Wow I love this driving.  He's explained so much to me and really given me confidence although he has me chucking him into those left hand corners  lol   He's a brave man.  wink

I've told him I want to go for Gold; he says he's happy to spend as much time with me as I need to go for this as I have the potential for it and he'll send me out with another Observer before my test to make sure he hasn't missed anything.

However, what I am wondering is, when reading through forums and threads, people tend to go for IAM membership over RoSPA.

I know you have to re-test the RoSPA every 3 years and I believe IAM membership is a one-off test.  This can't be the only reason people go for IAM.  What fundamental differences are there?

And sorry, if this has already been answered?????

Cheers

Lynne

24-11-04 23:03:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Why does IAM seem more popular than RoSPA?

#2 25-11-04 12:04:40

crr003

I'd say it was publicity and availability.  IAM is much better known I think.  And there are many more local groups.

Maybe the grading puts off some people - it's a lot easier just to take a pass/fail test like IAM's. 

I'm a bit concerned about "chucking him into those left hand corners"  :shock: though.  What happened to stability/view/safety!  I hope Lee doesn't read your post....... wink

Just joking - my RoADA examiner was certainly looking for progress where safe to do so.

Glad you're enjoying it and good luck on achieving Gold!

Roger
IAM/RoADA/ADI (trying)

#3 25-11-04 20:32:45

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Roger

My Observer is just encouraging me to make as much progress as is safe and to make me see what the potential is.  Don't worry he's not out to get me a ticket and he doesn't miss a trick.  Believe me he's on my case if I make the slightest error.  If I'm quick enough I mention it first before he does!

It's doing me good to have someone sit and watch me drive which no one's done since my Part 2.  Although of course certain elements are different he's got me out of driving like a "Driving Instructor"  (what was that Stephen said on another thread???)     lol   wink

Cheers

Lynne

#4 25-11-04 21:21:53

Gizmotime
Administrator

I think also a lot of people want to do the IAM first then they go on to do the ROSPA or Diamond.

#5 12-12-04 21:10:44

MarkReading

I started with the IAM back in '91 then went to my local RoSPA Group in '92. Since then I've gone from getting a Bronze to SIlver then got my goal I wanted - the Gold. This year I have even gone one better and gained the RoSPA Diploma.

Because of this success, I have started to train as an ADI and just passed my Part 1. Here's to next year and the other passes...... smile

THe IAM image is very much mor ein the publics face. With RoSPA they are not. All you hear about is the IAM. Dont get me wrong, every driver starts somewhere and most will begin wth the IAM and then move to RoSPA so they get a grading to find out how good the pass is. THis is the one true benefit from RoSPA. IAM is just a pass or fail which is a shame.

I also sense that if the IAM introduced either the Grading and/or a retest just like RoSPA then their annual membership would fall dramatically as this is where RoSPA losses out. Most people who takes these courses want to try it once and then pass hence the IAM membership is very high yet those who want to move forward, continue to improve their standards and keep those standards to a high one, go to RoSPA and stay with them and the IAM together. These people are few and far between.....

Just my 2p's worth  lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 12-12-04 22:11:58

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

IAM training is for free, Rospa isn't, maybe thats why ?

Or have i got it Wrong ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 13-12-04 10:06:07

crr003

Approved Instructor wrote:

IAM training is for free, Rospa isn't, maybe thats why ?

Or have i got it Wrong ?

Yup. 

My RoADA test cost £45.  The current IAM package is £85.  IAM give you a book and a copy of the HC.

They both use Observers who don't charge/get paid for their time and effort, so in effect, the training is free - you pay for the exam/books.

If you want to stay affiliated to a local group (IAM or RoADA), you have to pay each year for that - £10-20.  For that you get a monthly newsletter (usually) and meetings with normally some very interesting speakers - Police/Road Safety types.

Roger
IAM/RoADA/ADI hopeful

#8 13-12-04 11:48:03

Gizmotime
Administrator

If I can just add to Roger's post above, The £75 also includes your Test Fee which at the moment is currently £35.

#9 13-12-04 15:44:03

Anonymous

oh you nauty people you are breaking the law im going have to report this.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 13-12-04 21:17:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

lee wrote:

Lee go and wind someone else up somewhere.The IAM is NOT breaking any law.

#11 13-12-04 21:19:49

Stephen7738

Lee,
        The cost for both groups are to cover the cost of the books,test,and admin there is no direct charge or payment to any individuals apart from examiners,so save your complaint for another time.
                                              Stephen

#12 14-12-04 15:38:30

MarkReading

lee wrote:

:evil:

I dont think I will waste my typing skills in answering this  wink

#13 14-12-04 15:41:19

jonks

Lee, could you please explain, in detail, why you think the IAM is breaking the law so that I can proove you wrong and stop you posting silly remarks like that.

#14 14-12-04 17:47:04

Stephen7738

Jonks,
           Have you noticed about certain folk on this forum when you set them a task to answer a certain question or point and they find it too hard,or too confrontational they either ignore your post and wait until there is a few moreafter yours then reply,or like Lee has done started another post under another heading,or is it just the way i am thinking.
              Stephen

#15 14-12-04 17:51:38

jonks

Strange that, isn't it

#16 09-11-08 20:55:29

David1108

Well I'm with the IAM Newbury group and I like it better then Rospa as I find out that they do Double decluching and power thests.  I don't see what the use is to do that.  The IAM is better as you don't take the test more then once.  But I am trying for the observers part now.  David

#17 09-11-08 21:23:12

ExAdiNigel

....The IAM is better as you don't take the test more then once.....

Well the fact that you have to retake the test every 3 years makes the RoSPA test better in my eyes.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#18 09-11-08 21:27:41

VandADI
Administrator

.  The IAM is better as you don't take the test more then once.

I think you will find that in order to maintain standards you are encouraged to partake in a driving/riding assessment every 4/5 years.  It is conducted in exactly the same way as the original test.

#19 09-11-08 21:36:11

VandADI
Administrator

I like it better then Rospa as I find out that they do Double decluching and power thests.

I take it by that comment you have also done the RoSPA test. Comparing the RoSPA and IAM tests, in your opinion, how did the two tests differ?

#20 09-11-08 21:51:58

David1108

I have only done the IAM test.

#21 09-11-08 21:54:37

ExAdiNigel

So doesn't that make it rather difficult to judge one better than the other?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#22 09-11-08 22:00:26

David1108

I like IAM as ROSPA do power thusts and double declutching.  You don't know them in cars with the gearboxs we have. 

#23 09-11-08 22:03:06

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Well I'm with the IAM Newbury group and I like it better then Rospa as I find out that they do Double decluching and power thests.  I don't see what the use is to do that.  The IAM is better as you don't take the test more then once.  But I am trying for the observers part now.  David

Is double declutching needed in modern vehicles?
What's wrong with taking tests at regular intervals, as we see with the current driving test once it's past then drivers can get into bad habits. Taking a test at 3 year intervals keeps you on top of your game and encourages you to keep improving

Jon

#24 09-11-08 22:09:22

VandADI
Administrator

David  as someone once said " Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it".  Read and learn  wink
As I have said, and I am sure other qualified Observers will clarify, to maintain standards you are requested to re-take the IAM. Nothing wrong with that at all as when CPD comes in for ADIs, it will count.

#25 09-11-08 22:17:36

Lynne
Verified Member

I have just re-read the first post not realising at that time it was me.  It's 4 years old   roll

I think the concensus is you don't need to double de-clutch.  I didn't on either test.. just a bit of sustained rev gear changing.   big_smile

Now lets chuck this into the fire:  The concensus also is an IAM pass is equivalent to a RoSPA silver.  I'm saying nothing I don't know as I've never taken an IAM test.   neutral

Board footer