You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-03-04 16:09:09

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Supervising Examiners in the Back

Hi,

I was recently told by an examiner that the pass rate was slightly higher when a supervising examiner had sat in the back of the car.

This doesn't fit with my experience.

05-03-04 16:09:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Supervising Examiners in the Back

#2 17-03-04 18:56:20

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

A pupil of mine had a extra body in the back just last week, she passed.
But then ive had it where they fell to piece's, Because of it.

I overheard a L driver at the test centre saying that he couldn't do L/H Reverse because the S/E in the back was in the way.
I think the instructor used a marker on the back/side window but the lad couldn't see it.
They then went inside for a chat, and thats all i know.

Overall don't think its fair but what other way can the check test be done?

#3 18-03-04 21:53:02

benno

hello intresting to hear the pass rate is higher with the examiner in the back ( not ) i have it four times now and not one pass . talking to other instructors its the same , personaly i dont think they should just think they can sit in on a test . after all your pupil has paid their money for the test and hire of the car so why should they have the added pressure of someone in the back

#4 18-03-04 21:58:02

adi
Verified Member
Website

Does anyone know what the examiners would do if the pupil refused to let an SE sit in the back?? I assume the test wouldnt take place, but would the pupil have grounds to complain or even be refunded?

#5 18-03-04 22:20:18

bigred
Verified Member
Website

The answer is an emphatic NO!

You must let then sit in or the test won't take place.

There is no refund or grounds for appeal.

WHilst I agree that it probably needs to be done, I think the DSA should offer to pay for a retest if the pupil fails. The extra pressure makes it an ununiformed test.

Regards,

#6 18-03-04 22:34:08

DAVE-ADI

It's in the road traffic act regulations that driving tests can be used for checking examiners.

Pupils cannot refuse, although if they have had two examiners in on a previous test and they object to it happening again the S.E. should be sympathetic and not go.

There is a way to make sure your pupil doesn't two examiners in,   fold the rear seats down before going into the test centre.   There is no requirement to have a four seater car for test, and the S.E. cannot force you to put the seats up.

#7 18-03-04 22:41:15

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Someone tried this at our test centre a few years ago and the test did not take place.

The car was deemed to be built for rear seat passengers and because the seat belts were not operational the car was not roadworthy.

I think a car built for front seat passengers only is the only excuse the DSA allow.

I've always fancied teaching in a sports car.

Regards,

#8 18-03-04 23:28:19

muffin

Hi Red,
Something I've also wanted to do.

DSA rules of licence state that we must supply a vehicle with rear seats in order that SE may sit in the car. (Or words to that effect)

J

#9 18-03-04 23:33:41

DAVE-ADI

That is only for checktest Jeff.

There is no requirement to provide a four seater for a learner test.
A pupil can take a test in a van, or even a smart car.

#10 19-03-04 13:31:55

Liesa

On a slightly different subject, has anyone else experienced, having a supervisors sit in on any of the ADI exams?

I had a supervisor sit in on my 2nd part 3. I spent more time thinking about the chap in the back, than concentrating on the lesson, that was supposed to be taking place. I'll let you guess the result! :oops:

#11 19-03-04 16:27:53

VandADI
Administrator

Last week at my local TC I witnessed 5 tests going out. Each with an Examiner in the front, and a Trainee Examiner in the back, and then some of the Instructors accompanied in the back.  Talk about a full house. This will dramatically affect the handling of the vehicle, especially if the pupils have never driven with people in the back. Nervewracking or what!!!

#12 19-03-04 16:41:38

Bob_FOADS

Just be grateful non of the candidates needed an interpriter as well I guess AandADI

#13 19-03-04 18:54:35

VandADI
Administrator

Cosy!!!

#14 19-03-04 20:42:05

DAVE-ADI

Vanda,

DSA cannot force a pupil to accept a trainee in the back.  The rules stipulate that a Supervising examiner can accompany a test for the purposes of quality control.  Training is not part of that.

DSA are using your car for their training purposes.  What a !!!!!!!! cheek.   The least it should do is give the pupil a free test.

DSA tried a scheme last year (I think) called the buddy scheme, where other examiners sat in to  see how their colleagues conducted tests.   It never happened at our test centre because we objected to it as soon as we heard,  but I know it took place elsewhere.

#15 19-03-04 23:03:49

Lynne
Verified Member

Hello Liesa, yes I had supervisor sit in on my 1st attempt at Pt 3 and he also tried to come out on my 3rd attempt!! 

To be honest I did forget he was there on my first attempt I was so busy with my 'pupil' examiner.   The funny thing is on my 2nd attempt this Supervising examiner  took me out on his own whereupon I failed on a stupid thing.

When I saw him on my 3rd attempt (also going out with the same examiner on my 1st attempt <and who passed me on my Pt 2!>) and I mentioned he'd been out on my 1st attempt he said he wouldn't come out again.  At that point I was not aware I could ask him not to come out anyway and I was saying "no, do come along, I'm not bothered"  (by then I'd resigned myself to it being a 'fate' thing in order to keep the final attempt nerves down plus I knew these 2 guys so well even they were laughing and saying "hello Lynne...you again")

Although I botched up twice in all fairness I have to say both the examiners put me as much as ease as they could; gave me a good debrief and as far as examiners go I couldn't have asked for a nicer 'couple'  lol

Lynne

Board footer