You are not logged in.

#1 14-09-06 14:05:16

pitstops
Verified Member

Which course would be best for me

I passed my part 3 in july after alot of extra help from a local trainer who painstakingly undid all the bad work that lets drive had done. In the process I discovered that my part 2 training had been seriously skimped on and that the reason I found the test tough was due to this.

I am now LOVING being an instructor and have had only good comments from all my pupils, however I feel that I would really benefit from doing some further driver training to help improve where I feel I may still be a bit weak.

What course/training would you people recomend? and where would I find it?

Pitstops driving'scool (",)

14-09-06 14:05:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Which course would be best for me

#2 14-09-06 14:41:30

luchell

Why would you need an Ordit registered Adi?  It depends on what you feel you would like to tone up Pitstops. If you can highlight an area you would like to improve perhaps we can help you more, are we talking just your driving skills? Would you like to stick to the Dsa way of things or venture slightly out towards Roadcraft?

#3 14-09-06 14:55:45

luchell

Oh Dimmy  lol I didn't think of any of the above i just wondered why you said ordit. Its the same old argument that every few weeks goes round and round and round and oh i have a headache wheres the local chemist  lol

I'm not even going to comment as it just starts it all off again  wink

I just wondered what Pitstops thoughts were. For me personally i have a thing for Mspsl, oh don't ask me why but i do dream about it  lol Roadcraft i went there and did that years ago. I have considered looking into it again and i know there are not massive differences only subtle ones but i prefer to stick to my Mspsl  smile smile

when i have the time and money i will be looking into the diploma and The DIAmond special test amongst other things, im very much looking forward to it. Purely for me, i enjoy studying VERY much, i also cannot get enough of the thrill of passing tests either  lol

#4 14-09-06 17:19:24

pitstops
Verified Member

Hi Luchell and Dimmy

I really don't know exactly what I want to be better at, I just know that I only scrapped through my part 2 and 3 and that to me that isn't acceptable. I want to know why i only scraped through and try and improve on those things.

The guy who taught me part 2 to be honest was lame as. He taught mainly learners and I feel he taught me as he would a learner which is why i had a job passing such an advanced test.

Is there no qualification required to teach part 2? I'm think DIA would suit me best. Is it similar to part 2? Where would i find a trainer to best help me with this sort of test?

#5 14-09-06 18:59:04

ExAdiNigel

Why do you say you scraped through part 2?  Did you pass it first time?  How many errors did you receive?

There are many directions in which you could go, so you need to have a good think about what you want to improve and where you want your career to go (as Luchell was asking).

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 14-09-06 20:19:59

Target
Verified Member
Website

If you have just passed part 3 being 100% honest with.

Get some experience under your belt. Find your own style of teaching, give it 6 months.

I and I'm sure others have the same feeling. My problem is I cannot get the cash together to do the courses, however I hope to have passed Cardington by December and start teaching Part 2.

Later I'll start instructor training, whether I use it or not, still undecided if I want to teach people to do my job, but I know it will help with the learners.

I also know I have serious gaps in my teaching. I also know I'm probably still alot better than most and work hard at teaching people to drive.

DIA seem to run some courses, so give them a call, or sign up for their membership.

Not sure if you went on a pink, but I know when I started my head was spinning for 6 months, before i learnt routes, developed my own style and lesson structure. Everything was still PST's.

It would not hurt to get some more literature, your be surprised how easy it is to forget parts of the HWC etc etc.

Just my opinion.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#7 15-09-06 06:53:07

Kev D
Verified Member

As people have already stated, there are many different types of advanced driving test, and generally speaking, some will be based on the Roadcraft system, and others on the DSA system.  I am not going to argue which system I prefer or which system is best, because everyone will have a different opinion on that debate and as someone else said, it has been done a thousand times before.

You state that you 'scraped through' your part 2, and struggled with your part 3 also, and because of this I believe that if you were to adopt the Roadcraft system at this stage in your personal development, it would only serve to muddy the waters for you.  There are inherent differences (some say contradictions) between the 2 systems, but I believe you need to concentrate on the DSA system only at this time.

Perhaps in a couple of years once you have clarity, experience and most importantly, built up confidence in what you are doing and feel quite secure with your knowledge and teaching skills, then have a look at one of the Roadcraft based advanced tests.  You would then easily be able to separate the 2 systems, and see the advantages/disadvantages in both.  When used correctly, they are both extremely good systems.

Hope this helps, and whichever you decide, I wish you the best of luck  big_smile

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#8 15-09-06 07:58:09

pitstops
Verified Member

I passed my part 2 second time round with the maximum minor faults, It wasn't untill I started training for part 3 with a different company that I realised how little I really knew about the part 2 which is why I was finding part 3 so tough.

Just for example, I thought that if you were taking the second exit at a roundabout you always had to use the left lane unless there were road markings to say otherwise, never hered about using the right lane if the second exit was to the right!!!!
I had no idea of the correct way to deal with a mini roundabout, and totally hadn't heared of POM or MSPSL  :oops:

Basically I think I'm doing an acceptable job with my currant pupils, after all my first one passed with flying colours a few weeks back. I just feel that my grasp of exactly how the DSA want my pupils to drive is not as good as it could be and so i guess its a DSA based course I need to go for.

#9 15-09-06 10:44:33

Target
Verified Member
Website

As far as I know there no official qualifcation for instructor to teach Part 1/2/3 and alot jump on the band wagon looking for a slice of the pot of gold.

Some instructors will even gloat about it, knowing they are taking £30 per hour but have no extra qualifications for it. But thats another storey, and they call this a profession.

Perhaps what you need is to contact DIA/MSA or keep your eyes and ears open, perhaps even a local Adi you feel you can trust.

Get them to sit in the back of your car for a few lessons. When I qualified my Buddy friend sat in the back because I really thought I'd lost it. He had a few pointers and really praised me on the work I'd done, but if you can find a Grade 6 instructor all the better, perhaps 2 years minimum experience as an Adi.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#10 15-09-06 11:25:31

luchell

Dimmy, do you mean someone has to be an Adi for a year before teaching part 1/2/3 to anyone? If so this is incorrect. Technically you can take a pdi on and help through all three parts the day you are an adi. Preferable to wait for the badge to come through.  It is something i wouldn't recommend ANYONE do because i just believe you need more experience than that to be effective at what you are teaching.

As good as driving the essential skills is its rather basic, as in anyone who has actually passed part two and three should have a pretty good knowledge of it. Sure go back through it but there are better publications out there to go one step further.  I would rather go through the Driving instructors Handbook and Practical skills for driving instructors or instructional techniques and practice which i found interesting both before and after part three. To me driving the essential skills is just too basic now but again thats me and i am quite settled doing what i am doing. For Pitstops it may be a different case since as we are all different.  smile

#11 15-09-06 14:10:00

pitstops
Verified Member

Ok I've Read both these books cover to cover more than once when I was training.

i must say I didn't read the esential skils untill I passed part 2 as I didn't know it existed. Perhaps that's what gave me the notion that i wasn't fully in the know on part 2 stuff.

I actually recomend my pupils read this book and tell them which bit to read before the next lesson so they are up to date on what we are learning next time..

Do you have to pass a test to be ordit registered???  neutral

#12 15-09-06 15:33:34

pitstops
Verified Member

Ta Dimmy.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm just being paranoid about my ability due to the lack of support I recieved while training.

#13 15-09-06 16:55:10

Target
Verified Member
Website

At the end of the day we all passed the same exams.

I know the feeling about levels of training thou. TIC were masters at having many instructors readying from different hymm sheets.

You are taking positive steps towards becoming a good Adi just by asking questions and knowing that the Part 3 is not the end of your training.

When I qualfied it was suggested I started teaching Part 2/3 just because I had just passed the exam and could remember all I'd been told.

God knows how many Pdi's are out there driving around not knowing what they are getting into, let alone there instructors knowing what standard they should have met.

Personally I do not think theres enough good readying material, that may have changed but IAMS and Roadcraft are good reads.

I'm currently taking IAMs and after 90 mins assessment the assessor was more than happy he'd seen enough. Will cover DIAmond and Cardington and hopefully start part 2 training and I have 3 years experience as an Adi.

I'll not venture into part 3 until I've learnt the system more and covered a recognised course, for my own sanity and the pupils who will be paying me.

I've known people to come back off Part 3 courses ( the AA in house job ) and still not have a clue what to do after 5 days intensive.

Keep it real.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#14 15-09-06 20:32:27

hector
Verified Member
Website

The Sad truth is you could train ADI's to become ADI's before even qualifying yourself!!
(You couldnt charge them of course)

As i think Luchell states the twelve months is for consideration for Ordit (You cant take the registration exam until twelve months have elapsed.)

All the above is set to change eventually with a compulsory register and various CPD requirements for anyone wishing to train others.

As Target points out - 5 days intensive course needs to be backed up and should be backed up with experience and many other qualifications.

Target have you booked your Cardington?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#15 15-09-06 20:37:15

Target
Verified Member
Website

Have not booked my Cardington yet!... Email got returned when I asked for an info pack and application form.

I'll need to give them a call.(DSA)

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#16 15-09-06 20:41:25

hector
Verified Member
Website

e-what!!
Cardington is in the dark ages only a phone call does the trick

Theres normally a four month waiting list believe it or not.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#17 15-09-06 20:50:04

Target
Verified Member
Website

I did'nt realise that. Are they that busy. Have to apply soon then.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 16-09-06 07:22:20

pegasus
Verified Member

The Sad truth is you could train ADI's to become ADI's before even qualifying yourself!!
(You couldnt charge them of course)

Actually provided you didn't charge for the part 2 training, you could charge what you want for the rest.

If they ever get round to a compulsory register, it might make driver training unique.

The very idea that, "you must be qualified in something in order to teach it".
I remember PT teachers who taught Geography and RE/PSE is far to often taught by people with no formal qualifications in either part of the subject.

Board footer