You are not logged in.

#51 17-10-05 18:37:20

egnc
Verified Member

Re: Mini

They did have a bit of problem with the gearbox.
Think they managed very well to keep a lid on it though. wink
I know of one dissatisfied driver who had  3 new gearbox's.
It was a second car used by his wife, not a high milage. Never used as a training car.
BMW said if another one went they would not fit another one under warranty. Bit naughty.
He no longer has a mini.

17-10-05 18:37:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#52 17-10-05 22:10:47

Graham10

mini I drove for a couple of days gave me real bad knee pain, plus back pain, I dont get back pain,

Just got a Proton Gen2 1.6 with lpg, the rear view is poor, use blind spot mirrors. but because I teach pupils to drive any car; none had problem,some found it much easier.

Its got a fantastic engine, twin cam; it even sets the gas ready for an up change., and as long as you brake to the speed you need, has no problems, with over power on turns.

the cars on the top of my list were c2, mini, 107, c1, 206, but as my kids are getting old, and my wife got a 3 door, needed 4 or 5 door.

the interior you love or hate, but pupil love the interior, its not black, had it 2 weeks, just clocked 2000 miles .

Graham

#53 22-10-05 00:02:22

TM1

Purchased a new mini 1 D 1st March 04. I have just compleated 80000 miles of instruction in this mini this week. . Still on same clutch and gearbox and drives like new.  Sure it is an expensive vechicle to buy but as Ive been offered 8 Grand trade in - still sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Only big expence to be wherery of is the run flats. Fronts last aprox 14000 miles and rears 40000 but each tire costs #135 - not cheap unless anybody knows anywhere cheaper.

#54 30-10-05 18:44:58

Alibran

My local dealer has just lent me a Mini One D for the weekend (only a few weeks after they lent me a Cooper for a weekend) and I'm very nearly in love!!

I've test driven a lot of different cars in my search for the "perfect" ADI car and the One D comes closest for me.  It looks good, and it should help me to attract pupils when I need to.  It's easy to drive and easy to manoeuvre.  I found all round visibility was very good.  I got my partner (who's an inexperienced driver) to try out the manoeuvres in it, and she had no trouble at all.  Reverse gear is in a strange place until you get used to it, but I've driven other cars that have reverse in a different place to usual.  The steering is light (although not as light as Citroens, I have to admit) and seems to turn quickly from lock to lock - less than 2 and a half turns, I think.  I didn't find the clutch heavy at all - perhaps the Mini Sparkle drove had a worn clutch.  I like having six gears.  It's great for improving economy.  Oh, and being a diesel the economy is pretty good anyway.  It also doesn't stall easily.  It has power when you need it.  (Tests by Mini enthusiasts have shown that the One D doesn't lag very far behind the Cooper in acceleration, despite what the official figures may show.)  My only moan about the car itself is that I don't find the sport seats - or the regular seats - all that comfortable.  I was fine sat on the left, but I found the seat dug into my lower back a bit when I was driving.  (I haven't heard anyone else complain of this, though, so I've probably got a funny shaped back!)  You can also get some useful extras like heated windscreen that aren't available on many small cars.

Mini costs more, I agree, but my local dealer has worked out a finance package that will actually cost me less per month than any other car I've looked at.  I do have to keep the Mini a year longer, but since they hold their value so well, that won't be a problem.  And the "no discounts on Minis" policy apparently only applies to factory fit options, giving them quite a bit of leeway.  My dealer is also extremely helpful.  They've looked after my father's BMW for the last 10 years, and he has nothing but praise for them.

So, Mini One D it is.  The six month decision making process is over.  I've just got to wait nearly another six months to get one  lol

#55 30-10-05 21:07:29

markA.d.I

Hooray another mini lover  lol

#56 31-10-05 09:52:33

TM1

You will very rarely have a mini owner talk badly about the car. Usially its non-owners who who slate the car (because they haven't owned one/ taught in one) and go on second hand info which is either wrong or over exagerated. This is a great car, easy to teach in, pupils love them, very comfortable to drive or be driven, nothing wrong with rear visability (unless convertable), economical, cheap to insure, dealership is always a pleasure to deal with. - do I need to go on.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#57 31-10-05 16:00:40

Alibran

TM1 wrote:

Usially its non-owners who who slate the car

Maybe they're just jealous. lol I know I am every time I see someone drive past in a Mini.

#58 18-06-06 14:35:20

jonks

Mini One / Mini Cooper

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#59 23-06-06 19:13:02

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

All of our training cars are mini ones, the only problem with the cars is the clutch will wearout around 40,000miles but these cars have a big plus great marketing tool attracts pupils like bees to honey.

phil jackson
phillipjackson@adeptdrive.co.uk
tel 01462-636423
ADI's Wanted Stevenage,Letchworth,Hitchin,Baldock
N.Herts

#60 24-06-06 23:58:33

MiniRob
Verified Member
Website

Agree completely.  At 40k budget £600 for a new clutch, otherwise brill.  Bit heavy on fuel though, my onboard computer says an average 30mpg.
Rob

#61 02-07-06 22:48:49

smdtr

Thanks

Nice to know I've 20K to go on my clutch!

Agreed, uses a lot of fuel, great to drive and markets itself.

Small pupils struggle to see over the high back seats and tall pupils duck to see under the huge centre mirror.  Easy to fix though remove left rear headrest and make sure the tall ones remember to lower the seat.  I feel the steering is heavy compared to a Corsa but it really suits the car.

#62 23-07-06 20:11:57

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Useing a One D , 50mpg av every tank , occ 55 when doing pass plus.
Agree about the visibility to front with large interior mirror.
Handling and ride excellent , sports seats aid the comfort.

#63 02-09-06 22:44:34

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

#64 13-09-06 23:46:03

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i had a test drive in one of these today, was ok, but not great. it could have been me but i found the speedo in the centre was a bit of a bind, kept looking at a !!!!!!!! rev counter instead smile

on another note, an ADI friend f mine has just leased one direct from BMW, he told me it was £200 deposit and £250 a MONTH, hmmmm could that be right ? (mini cooper)

regards
Ray

#65 14-09-06 08:52:25

Don Juan

There is a digital speedo on the rev counter as well as the dinner plate speedo in the middle Disky, thats the one i used when teaching in a mini 1 (had 3 of them!), You need to play around with the little button on the back of the indicator switch!

#66 15-09-06 08:45:43

pitstops
Verified Member

I had one for a bit as my own car and really wouldn't want to use one as a learner car. They are just a bit too complicated, with far too many gadgets and toys.

The indicators don't actually move up or down as they are on sensors so as a  pasenger it is near impossible to tell which way they are indicating without looking at the screen infrount of the driver. sunds simple but its fairly ovscured by the dash.

The view out of the sides and back are also not ideal.

The bonet has a big bulge in the middle which makes the car seem much bigger than it is from inside, i feel this would put leaners off. It also makes finding a ref point for the road possition difficult as u can't exacly point out where the kerb should be running.

fianlly i found the 1.6 petrol that I had extremely sluggish compared with my mini!

Pitstops driving'scool (",)

#67 15-09-06 15:09:59

smdtr

Just had my 2nd service, 27000 miles and needs a steering column.

£250 a month sounds good but how many miles a year do you get for it.

#68 19-09-06 19:00:55

Runnyuk
Verified Member

Hi

I have a Mini one. Just passed its first birthday, 21,000 miles. Due 2nd service in 5k.

According to the computer thingy I do 39mtg. It has improved over time. After 6 months I could see i was getting more miles so I dont know if thats just where it had run in.

(touch wood) Not had any problems. SOMETIMES it will crunch into reverse but thats if you try to fast..so a bit of tlc and its fine.

I love the Mini, was an impulse buy on my part after getting fed up of looking and being disappointed. Its hard to see what pupil is doing with clutch - center console blocks view -  but it just keeps me on my toes in that department.

I dont find the rather large rear view mirror a problem and i personally think the all round obs are great.

Fab car that attracts the pupils. One size fits all !

Someone mentioned the speedo .. I have the digital display on the rev counter at the steering wheel, but Im not sure this comes as standard?

Diesel question - I looked at the diesel (partner a farmer and we buy in bulk for farm vehicles, and no not red!) but it has 6 gears... Do you find this a problem with pupils??

Ive come across the attitude of some instructors at the TC that feel a Mini is to expensive and having a Mini means Im not doing this to earn a living, Im doing it to kill my spare time!

Yes its a tad expensive, but I am sitting in it everyday, its comfy and it looks good, it drives lovely and its my choice  tongue

Runny

#69 20-09-06 20:51:50

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

I've just bought a 116iSE for my own (well, the wifes) car and absolutely love it. The indicators referred to above are similar to the new Vauxhall system used on Astra's etc and are OK once you get used to them. That being said, I wouldn't dream of using it as a tuition vehicle. Totally agree with Pitstops regarding the view to the rear, additionally I find the driving position is very low compared to my Clio, although I did buy the Beemer to replace a Renault Scenic so there's bound to be a little difference in visibility! Also fitted with run flat tyres so no spare.

I do know of an instructor using one in the Hornchurch area but I've not spoken to him myself. Mine's only done about 600 miles so far, but according to the trip computer it's averaging around 28mpg which ain't brilliant, but then it will probably (hopefully) improve once fully run in. Bottom line in my opinion, great car but not for teaching.

Reindeer

#70 20-09-06 20:55:35

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

Seriously considring buying a Mini to replace my Clio, but curious to know if they're really as good at pulling in the pupils as people say...

Reindeer

#71 20-09-06 21:18:51

smdtr

It certainly does attract some people but not all.  My leaflets and website have a mini on it however a lot of enquiries don't even mention car, some check to see if it's a mini and some ask what car I use.  I've actually lost pupils because it's a mini.

My next car in a year will probably be the Seat Ibiza Tdi, I'm going for the cheaper option Mini is to expensive to get the battering it deserves.  That said the mini does keep a lot of re sale value if mileage isn't too high.

#72 20-09-06 22:28:09

Evan

Can't see them taking off myself, a BMW being driven safely would just lose it's appeal. Ev

#73 21-09-06 08:20:34

Don Juan

I think they have lost the pupil pulling power now, novelty value has started to wear off, in my area we are flooded by them, more mini's than corsas, the most popular pupil puller around here at the moment is the VW bug.

#74 21-09-06 21:47:26

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the comments... Vee dub Beetle eh? Now there's one I hadn't considered... Think  I've only ever seen one as a school car, and that was in Minehead when I was on a break in somerset...

Reindeer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#75 21-09-06 21:52:25

Reindeer
Verified Member
Website

Can't see them taking off myself, a BMW being driven safely would just lose it's appeal. Ev

Ouch! Strange thing is, people look genuinely shocked if you let them out at junctions and stop at crossings etc... Wife noticed it too so it's not just me big_smile

Reindeer

Board footer