You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 19-03-04 11:37:56

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Core Competences

The Core Competences remain the main cause of failure on part 3 exams. I am convinced that many trainees do not fully understand the concept of these so have attempted to put then in laymans terms in the following article. I hope it is of help to any trainees out there and I would appreciate any thoughts or comments on it.

Everyone who undertakes part three training quickly appreciates the importance of the core competences, namely fault identification, fault analysis and remedy.  Despite the fact that they understand the importance the fact remains that many people fail their final exam because they do not put this into practice.

I like to think that most people can identify faults and their training has taught them how to bring these to the attention of the pupil immediately, but it is the next stage – the analysis and remedy – where I find many students lacking.

Lets start to think of driving as a product and you are the salesman selling a particular brand of this product. You are selling good, safe and correct driving to a customer (pupil) who is already using a different brand of this product, which for whatever reason they are happy with.  Your job is to sell them the idea that your product is better than the one they are currently using.

In identifying the fault you have brought their product to mind. You now need to tactfully point out the weakness in their product. This could be something to do with the possible repercussions on themselves or other road users if they continue to use it.  You should use Q&A to establish why they are using this product and you should be able to show a weakness in each of their reasons.

Now you have them thinking that maybe there is a better product available after all, so now is the time to introduce them to your product.  Use a diagram because a picture tells a thousand words and can make your product seem more appealing.  Sell them the idea by giving reasons for your product being better than their current one. These reasons should centre around the reasons you have just given them for not using their existing product and should highlight the advantages to themselves and other road users.  Your aim is to get them to agree with you so use Q&A in an attempt to reach agreement that your product is far superior to theirs.  Once agreement is reached you almost have it sold.  The final thing that is putting the customer off buying your product is that they are unsure whether or not they will be able to use it.  You need to reassure them that you will help them use this product until they are able to do so by themselves.

So, the customer has now decided to go for your product. You must now keep to your word and provide the after sales service you promised.  This means that you must help your customer to get to grips with using this product for the first time.  In simple terms this requires you to give your pupil full talk-through when they use their product for the first time and then follow the usual cycle of passing over responsibility as they become more familiar and proficient with it.

Finally, like all good salesmen, you will remain on call so that should your customer experience problems with their product or maybe forget how to use it properly, you will be there to offer help again as needed.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

19-03-04 11:37:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Core Competences

#2 19-03-04 13:50:13

adi
Verified Member
Website

Nice one DSE, really well put.

#3 19-03-04 20:23:44

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Very True, and good choice of word.

May i add;

My training was good, As far as i know. But always got the feeling that my trainer never had/left any time for questions. I feel that was the only downside.

Selling a product as you said. is what i do now, But when i first started 'after part 3' i knew what product to sell, When and why.
But not how much of it they should have at once and sometime how much after sales service they would like/should have without being ott.

if you are scratching your head at the above, i can only say i cant type text my thoughts like you do so well. :?

In the first 2 years was the time i realy got a good grip of everything !

Board footer