You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-08-06 19:03:29

bigred
Verified Member
Website

SAFED for Vans

Has anyone been through the training yet? Come to think of it has anyone done any work for SAFED yet?

We have had 12 instructors trained up and another 6 ready to do it over the next month. But it's been really hard work getting training dates.

Regards,

29-08-06 19:03:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: SAFED for Vans

#2 29-08-06 21:47:56

arib
Verified Member
Website

Can't help with your query but would like to comment on the SAFED system.
My wifes company brought in a SAFED assessor to look at one of their van drivers. I hadn't heard of this so was interested to read the drivers assessment. He was taken on a 12 mile route and a record was made of how many times he changed gear. As fuel saving seems to be the aim he was then taught how to read the road ahead and to use more sympathetic gear changing (block changing). He was then taken around the same route again and notes were compared between the two. 1st run, 85 gear changes 2nd run, 30 gear changes. This was mainly around 30MPH speed limit areas with one stretch of dual carriageway of 3 miles. After which a fuel saving was worked out between the 2 drives. The fuel difference was minimal to one driver over such a short distance but to a large company over a year could be quite significant.
What puzzled me was a gear change difference over the same route of -55 changes was difficult to accept. Were the conditions the same, was the traffic the same, was  the average speed the same. All this must be taken into the final equation. So how can this represent an accurate assessment. As for block changing to save fuel can this be done at the lower end of the gear box when the revs would be higher or is it mainly achieved when going from 3rd to 5th. If the latter is the case then over the route used, 3 miles of dual carriageway with 2 roundabouts then that hardly needed many gear changes.
I'm just relating my own thoughts here and remember I am not conversant with this SAFED system. It just doesn't seem very accurate to me.

arib

#3 29-08-06 22:05:45

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Arib,

I understand your comments about the SAFED system and was also a little sceptical at first.

My own training day saw me reduce about 5 gear changes and about 2% fuel reduction from first to second drive and that may well have been the conditions, me getting used to the van etc. But I thought if they can improve me a little bit we should be able improve the average driver a bit more.

We contacted our local TV station and told them about SAFED, they challenged us to prove it on TV so we did just that.

The following is a report given to SAFED by our Senior trainer who conducted the session -

"As you aware the Big Red Fleet was able to promote Safed for vans on Meridian TV last wednesday. We where on the 1pm news and 6pm news. The challenge could we improve the fuel economy of a local van driver. The results where 'IMPRESSIVE' to quote Vince Fagg our van driver for the day. The first drive took 31mins including breaking speed limits regularly, on a route consisting of urban,rural and motorway roads over a distance of 14.3miles. Vince had 128 gear changes and used 2.38 litres of fuel.
The second drive same route, 29mins and hardly broke the speed limit, 51 gear changes and the coup de grace fuel consumption 1.61 litres.
I am sure these results will help you promote safed."

Of the 25 days training so far completed only 2 failed to make improvements on fuel consumption, so I guess it does work.

But even selling "free training" is proving quite difficult, companies seem just too busy or sceptical to even try it. Perhaps they'll learn one day!!

Regards,

#4 30-08-06 06:13:41

hector
Verified Member
Website

Recently done the training day,

We actually had much better results than mentioned here. Obviously use of roadcraft on the general drive didnt need to be improved on. im sure it would be a huge benefit to real van drivers though.

On both drives we managed a fuel improvment of over 50 % im sure this was down to the quality of the trainer on the day.We both drove on the initial drive to the dsa way ie making progress and i tried to drive as a van driver minus the daft gearchanges! and it just proved how out of touch the dsa are on eco driving.

On one short drive we used £2.04 in fuel and when coached used 90p! So it does work big time.

The trainer we had showed how real eco driving should be done but didnt suggest it was realistic for real van drivers to drive like this.I think 10-20% reduction is perfectly achievable.

Im not convinced gearchanges make that bigger difference, unless using the high gears too soon, and changing down.

Im not sure all the senior trainers used are up to the standard of the guy we had, after talking to others about there days to be honest.This guy was seriously good and when he went away from the standard presentation his knowledge was outstanding.

Driving similair to the methods dicussed in my own training vehicle result in 10-15 mpg better fuel economy, again compared to the dsa style of 'lets get going get it in a high gear'. And personally i cant wait for October conference when Trevor Wedge is doing a presentation on eco driving!!

Big red i think its up to us to sell Safed as there just not doing it. I have appointments to see several people at there places of work to give a  practical demo so they can see the results for themselves.

People are so !!!!!!!! sceptical though, dont think theres any point doing anything other than personal visits to generate the clients. I intend to concentrate as much as possible on the owner drivers who it would be very easy to sell the scheme to.

As for the bigger companies im not too worried about the fuel consumption, i dont think the average driver will give a damn to be honest unless theres some sort of cash incentive for them!! The whole fuel thing is just a way to sell the scheme and nothing more. It would be a shame to spend a great lump ot time on saving fuel, and missing a big oppurtunity on road safety.

Ill concentrate on sorting the speed/tailgating/aggression etc...

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 31-08-06 18:12:33

whodareswins
Verified Member

Can't help with your query but would like to comment on the SAFED system.
My wifes company brought in a SAFED assessor to look at one of their van drivers. I hadn't heard of this so was interested to read the drivers assessment. He was taken on a 12 mile route and a record was made of how many times he changed gear. As fuel saving seems to be the aim he was then taught how to read the road ahead and to use more sympathetic gear changing (block changing). He was then taken around the same route again and notes were compared between the two. 1st run, 85 gear changes 2nd run, 30 gear changes. This was mainly around 30MPH speed limit areas with one stretch of dual carriageway of 3 miles. After which a fuel saving was worked out between the 2 drives. The fuel difference was minimal to one driver over such a short distance but to a large company over a year could be quite significant.
What puzzled me was a gear change difference over the same route of -55 changes was difficult to accept. Were the conditions the same, was the traffic the same, was  the average speed the same. All this must be taken into the final equation. So how can this represent an accurate assessment. As for block changing to save fuel can this be done at the lower end of the gear box when the revs would be higher or is it mainly achieved when going from 3rd to 5th. If the latter is the case then over the route used, 3 miles of dual carriageway with 2 roundabouts then that hardly needed many gear changes.
I'm just relating my own thoughts here and remember I am not conversant with this SAFED system. It just doesn't seem very accurate to me.

arib

Arib,

I am also a SAFED trainer.

You would have noticed that there are 18 other categories that form a part of the drivers assessment. The number of gear changes will obviously vary according to the traffic conditions over the same route driven more than once. However, the majority of uneccessary gear changes are recorded at traffic lights, junctions and roundabouts and are a result (generally) of poor planning and slowing the vehicle using the gears instead of the footbrake.

Remember, the objective of SAFED is Safety as well as Fuel Efficiency. As Hector points out, realistic fuel savings of 10 -20% are perfectly feasible but, more importantly, van drivers are encouraged to become more considerate (by a variety of means) and to reduce their self-imposed stress levels by driving more sensibly. It is not uncommon to find that (given the same traffic conditions) the trainee driver will actually reduce the time taken to cover the same route after receiving his/her training.

I think the training is very worthwhile and should be made more universally available.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#6 31-08-06 20:53:12

arib
Verified Member
Website

Have just managed to get hold of a SAFED brochure tonight and will have a good read of it. But at first glances, what is the difference between SAFED and fleet training. Are they not one of the same, to make people more hazard aware and safe behind the wheel.

arib

#7 31-08-06 22:07:05

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Yeah they're pretty much the same.

I reckon the government have found a pot of money (possibly european) that enables them to fund the initiative. It's fleet training dressed up as fuel efficient driving. But thats how you get these big pots of money wink

Regards,

#8 04-09-06 18:15:40

Doug
Verified Member
Website

And pays better than the fleet companies do at £350 per day.

Doug

Board footer