You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-12-04 19:25:49

dashdriving.com
Website

What is Advanced Driving?

There seems to be lots of different viewpoints on who should teach Advanced Driving, should it be ADI's or the IAM? Should it be controlled by the DSA? etc. etc.

I just wonder what people actually think Advanced Driving is and why it's different to the standard that learners are taught?

Dave Hartley

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

06-12-04 19:25:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What is Advanced Driving?

#2 06-12-04 22:24:00

Midge
Website

As far as I 'm concerned, advanced driving is just driving to a higher standard than the ordinary L test.  I don't think it should be run by the DSA, I don't think anything should be run by the DSA.  The words Booze up and brewery come to mind.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#3 06-12-04 23:01:33

cawood

I can't think of a worse disaster to befall advanced driving than to have it run by the DSA. Heaven forbid!

cawood.

#4 07-12-04 02:31:11

Stephen7738

Advanced driving to me is as it say's in Roadcraft chapter two with all the other chapters built around it then put together. As far as i am concerned it should taught as I was taught intensive study of both theory and practise,I have completed two Advanced course's with the police which lasted a total of 10 week's split down into initial 4 week then 6 week. As for who should teach it well as we all know that there is no seperate training for this ie ADI Advanced instruction only this would mean an intensive study course based on Roadcraft once qualified can only teach in the specified area,hopefully this anomally will be rectified in years to come,then all this i can teach this and that just because you have a certificate to say so doesn't mean you can teach any type or style of driving as ADI's at the moment unless qualified can only teach learner's and that's that.
                   Stephen

#5 07-12-04 12:35:41

dashdriving.com
Website

Stephen,

I think I get the 'gist' of your answer, thanks. I must say it took me a while to decide whether you were having a go at me for asking a simple question. In truth, Im still not sure. Perhaps you should PM me.

All I asked was "what people actually think Advanced Driving is and why it's different to the standard that learners are taught?

You've mentioned something about ADI's and what they can teach and something about they can only teach learners.etc. etc. The legal viewpoint is somewhat different. As it stands right now an ADI can advertise advanced driving courses and charge for them. You can't, Stephen, unless you have a DSA green card, no matter what your qualifications and no matter how many weeks of intensive training you've had.

I have made absolutely no secret of my opinion on this. Read it here or on any of these threads that I've replied to. I will repeat it now to make it crystal....

I am absolutely amazed that an ADI can do a DSA driving test at part 2 - the same test that learners do - and then never (ever!) have to do a driving test again - and then be able to advertise advanced driving tuition and call themselves advanced drivers. I personally find it disgraceful and I would be utterly embarrassed to do this. I seriously wish that any ADI who did this without any further training from the IAM, Rospa or the Police could be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act. They can't, unfortunately,  because they are not breaking the law.

I am as entitled to my opinion, as is anyone else. I cannot believe that the Driving Instructors Association have used the words 'advanced driving' to describe their driving test and their special driving test. They are absolutely entitled to do so, but my opinion is that it distorts true advanced driving in the minds of the general public. It all hinges on what you think is advanced driving, which was my original question. I feel that there is absolutely nothing at all advanced about taking a test that is the learner syllabus, where only a few errors are accepted. I feel that a better description would be 'High Standard' driving as I see nothing advanced about it. The DIA are also entitled to their opinion and they clearly think that it is advanced. That is their right to do so.

I will further state that I feel that the DSA even using the words 'Advanced Driving' in anything connected to them runs the risk of seriously harming and watering down true advanced driving, which in my opinion is Roadcraft, as taught by the IAM, ROSPA and the original owners of roadcraft, the Police.

My intention is not to knock ADI's - I am one and I know how hard we all worked to get qualified. But when I see ADI's knocking the IAM and Rospa and their observers I have to speak my mind. Sorry to all other ADI's who feel bitter and twisted about it, but as an ADI I would say that I have no right whatsoever to call myself 'advanced'.

Here's one for you to chew on.... Roadcraft was developed by the Lord Earl of Cottenham for the Metropolitan Police many many years ago, and it has been continually updated and improved upon over the years. The term 'Advanced Driving' was never historically used until the IAM 'coined' it during the 1950's. Had the IAM been as selfish as some ADI's would like to be (not all of them, by any means) and copyrighted the term 'Advanced Driving' back then, none of us except them would be able to use it at all.

Once again, my original question was "what people actually think Advanced Driving is and why it's different to the standard that learners are taught?"

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#6 07-12-04 13:06:20

Stephen7738

I think you have read into my reply the wrong way along with me perhaps not explaining it fully,anyway I have sent you a PM as you have requested and hope this clears any doubt.
                  Stephen

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-12-04 18:08:42

crr003

dashdriving.com wrote:

Once again, my original question was "what people actually think Advanced Driving is and why it's different to the standard that learners are taught?"

"Advanced driving is the ability to control the position and speed of the vehicle safely, systematically and smoothly, using road and traffic conditions to make reasonable progress unobtrusively, with skill and responsibility. The skill requires a positive but courteous attitude and a high standard of driving competence based on concentration, effective all round observation, anticipation and planning. This must be co-ordinated with good handling skills. The vehicle should always be at the right place on the road at the right time, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged and can always be stopped safely in the distance that can be seen to be clear."

Roger
IAM/RoADA/ADI hopeful

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 07-12-04 18:42:26

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

crr003 wrote:
dashdriving.com wrote:

"Advanced driving is the ability to control the position and speed of the vehicle safely, systematically and smoothly, using road and traffic conditions to make reasonable progress unobtrusively, with skill and responsibility. The skill requires a positive but courteous attitude and a high standard of driving competence based on concentration, effective all round observation, anticipation and planning. This must be co-ordinated with good handling skills. The vehicle should always be at the right place on the road at the right time, travelling at the right speed with the correct gear engaged and can always be stopped safely in the distance that can be seen to be clear."

Roger
IAM/RoADA/ADI hopeful

Hmmm.. So no difference from what ADIs teach to learners then   roll

I say advanced driving is doing what they do at the L test but to a higher standard:
fewer mistakes, smoother (gears/clutch/brake etc.), better awareness and anticipation etc.

Nomatter which method is used, advanced driving encompasses the above.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#9 07-12-04 19:31:07

crr003

MrBassMan wrote:

Hmmm.. So no difference from what ADIs teach to learners then   roll

I say advanced driving is doing what they do at the L test but to a higher standard:
fewer mistakes, smoother (gears/clutch/brake etc.), better awareness and anticipation etc.

Nomatter which method is used, advanced driving encompasses the above.

This definition (one of several I could find on the web), apparently was agreed upon by DSA, IAM and RoSPA in 2000.  It would seem natural not to specify a "method" on which it should be based.

You may well be correct that advanced driving is simply based on DSA syllabus with the aim of making zero errors.

However, if the only option for me when I wanted to take further training to improve my driving was to drive round in a 1L Nissan Micra (or similar) driving to the "Essential Skills" book, AND having to pay for the privilege, I'm sorry to say I wouldn't have bothered.

I've learnt more about car control, but more importantly observation skills and linking to a driving plan in the last two years with IAM/RoADA than in the previous 25 years of "DSA style" driving.

Just my 2p worth.

Roger
IAM/RoADA/ADI hopeful

#10 08-12-04 08:28:00

TDC
Verified Member

advanced driving is looking after yourself, your passengers, your car and all the other road users whilst getting from a to b smoothly in full control and making as good progress as the road/weather  conditions allow. Making earlier assesments of hazards to deal with them causing minimum inconvenince to self and if possible none to other road users. Not misleading others by incorrect signalling or lack of.
So just how i drive really   wink   and how i train my pupils
ps also down country roads etc  using whatever you can see to show you where the road goes   eg looking over the bushes to see the tops of lamposts showing the route of the road ahead etc whilst hopefully allowing for the fact there could be an obstruction in the road just round the corner

Im so good its unbelievable

Board footer