You are not logged in.

#1 30-08-06 20:53:35

JJ
Verified Member
Website

Not sure what to study first

Hi,
I'm Jo, i've just joined the board. Going to do the Dip.DI as soon as i get my membership sorted with DIA, also thinking of doing a city and guilds poss 7407? just wanting some advice on which to do first or can i do both at the same time? Also wondered if anyone know if the 7407 is the best one to do and if it requires any entry qualifications?

Sorry for all the questions, been an ADI for 3 1/2 years now and am a bit stuck in a rut, want to do something to improve my teaching skills and improve my knowledge.

Thanks

Jo

30-08-06 20:53:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Not sure what to study first

#2 31-08-06 05:57:37

Doug
Verified Member
Website

C&G 7302 may be an introductory course if no adult teaching experience in place. This is an ideal qualification if you are planning to enter teaching. It will help you build confidence in core teaching skills and it provides an ideal foundation for progression into teaching. It aims to equip a wide range of trainers, facilitators and teachers to support learners, and is particularly suitable for people who want an introduction to training or teaching or those who are seeking progression of a teaching or training career.

Doug

#3 31-08-06 17:41:37

JJ
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your advice Doug, i'm going to look into the 7302. It seems like a better one to start with.

Jo

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 01-09-06 11:06:49

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The 7304 has been replaced by the 7407.

The 7302 is a starter one and not really worth it as you can leap straight to 7407 and is being phased out by most.

I have just completed my 7407 and it is very worthwhile indeed and will set you some challenges.

I previously did the Dip.DI the year before. I did all 5 modules together and it was tough but possible, I would not consider doing 7407 and the diploma together as you will have a lot of assignments for your 7407.

It is great to see you forward planning and you will learn and gain a lot from it, my career has lept amazingly since.

You do not need any qualifications for the 7407 just prove you can do 20 hrs teaching during the course ( not difficult in our profession)

Good luck with your CPD and put a written plan in place showing your strengths and weaknesses and your goals (aims) and what objectives you need to achieve those goals.

Look me up if you want further advice

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#5 01-09-06 14:19:14

JJ
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for your input Marconi1, i think i have decided to get the Dip.DI done first then look at the city and guilds. I would rather do the more challenging one (will probably regret it!) seems thought that the diploma is quite a bit of work, dont want to take on too much and risk doing badly on both.

Jo 

#6 01-09-06 15:57:48

Carl

marconi

I've been looking at the 7407 but not sure about how they would feel about our profession. Doesn't the teaching have to be monitored as part of the assessment?

Carl

#7 01-09-06 16:25:34

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The teaching does have a monitered aspect but they will come and sit in on 2 of your lessons.

They will take to you fine as an instructor

Go for it

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#8 14-01-07 17:07:02

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I have researched this, and its very complex but i'll try and explain (here come them instructor skills) lol

-  7307 is at level 3, 7407 is level 4  they are both exactly the same in content, however the assessment is different (level 4 been more difficult)

-  In relation to Driving Instructors i believe from my research generally speaking we dont NEED it.  BUT if you were teaching in a convential sense (college, school, uni etc....) it would be complusary in order to teach adults.  This i believe (please correct me if i'm wrong) is because these are (in part or entirely) government funded, and they require a teaching qualification in order to fund it.

-  In relation to the previous point, if for example we provided pass plus (and were partially funded by the local council for delivery) then it may be argued this level of qualification would be required.  Thus the same might be suggested for any government funded fleet training, or classroom/school teaching conducted

-  Furthermore this qualification is due to change in SEPT 07 as a new more relevant qualification should be available.  The current courses are geared towards conventional teaching, and therefore is not all relevant to say driving instuction.  However the new one is apparently going to comprise of a base qualification more geared towards other teaching professions with a basic "toolkit" for teachers.  This apparently would be (easier) and more relevant to ADIs.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#9 14-01-07 17:36:22

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi

All I can say is that, having done an advanced certificate of adult education stages 1 2 and 3 it allowed me a greater understanding of teaching (two years lots of homework one college night a week), which as an ORDIT reg trainer has allowed me to pass on far more knowledge to my PDI'S it is also recognised as a teaching qualification and will allow you to teach in colleges and schools age 14 plus in your vocational subject (are the Government not looking at putting driver education on the curiculum) it is also useful as some county councils will require some sort of teaching certificate if you want to move into presenting National driver improvement schemes or speed awareness programmes which often have classroom presentation sessions.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

Board footer