You are not logged in.

#1 18-08-06 13:32:11

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Recommended Accountant in Sutton/Croydon area?

Hi all,

I'm starting to get everything in place for going on a Pink very shortly.

I've got insurance quotes, duals organised & so on, but the one thing I'm missing (I think) is an accountant who has experience of PDI/ADI accounts.

Can anyone recommend one in the Sutton/Croydon/Epsom area?

If you don't want to advertise them here for whatever reason, please PM me!

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Ambition Driving College

18-08-06 13:32:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Recommended Accountant in Sutton/Croydon area?

#2 18-08-06 22:54:48

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy... I am in Scotland so I can't really recommend an accountant for you but do you think you will really need one ?

This subject has been raised a few times before showing the pros and cons.

This year I am going to do my own books, I don't think it is rocket science. I have purchased a program for my computer from "Ideas 4 ADI's" in which I can easily track my incomings and ougoings together with records of all my pupils.  It is fairly easy to use.

When I registered myself as self employed, I was contacted by the Inland Revenue who invited me to two free seminars on being self-employed and self-assessment.  I took advantage of this and it was well worthwhile.  It was then I realised that an accountant would be a waste of money.

Yes there are arguments that accountants can save you money in claiming for tax relief on certain items like phone bills, lighting, heating etc. but the Inland Revenue seem to be happy to point out all these things you are entitled to.

You may get different advice after this but my advice would be to go for 'Do-it-yourself' and save money.  The important thing to remember is to keep accurate records and all receipts for the end of the tax year.

Best of luck....Ian

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#3 19-08-06 11:00:17

Carl

Hi Andy

I've been in business now for 8 years and never needed an accountant to do my books. The people at the tax office are very friendly and happy to help out if you have any problems.

I use QuickBooks which works very well.

Carl

#4 21-08-06 09:58:28

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Thanks Ian & Carl for the thoughts...

I'll look into the IR seminars & see if they make me more confident.

My initial thought is to get a professional to do first year, when I've got most new things being bought/leased/whatever, keep an eye on what they do & then maybe give it a go from then on.

I'd rather concentrate on the driving & teaching side of things without any other worries while I'm starting off.

Any other views?
Andy.

Ambition Driving College

#5 21-08-06 19:56:29

sw
Verified Member

Once you register as self employed the Inland Revenue (or HM Revenue and Customs as they're now called) ask if you'd like to go on one of their 'Becoming Self Employed' workshops. I went to one in Sutton last week and it was quite interesting. A bit of it can get a bit boring where one or two people were constantly asking questions that were irrelevant to the course but overall it was worth it, and it was free. This course was mainly about National Insurance and what records to keep but they also do one on Self Assessment which sounds quite helpful.

#6 21-08-06 19:57:48

sw
Verified Member

Sorry didn't mean to repeat half of what Ian had already written above.

My apologies

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 28-08-06 20:26:42

DaveB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Andy

I've been an ADI for 14 years - in that time I've tried DIY (not sure I get it right),  using local accountants (£300 - £450 year and slow to respond), but have now found best solution for me. Karen Butler at www.onlineaccountancyservices.co.uk. It cost me £155 this year, everything dealt with by email/internet and Karen is very quick, efficient and helpful.

Up to you which way you choose to go, but for me this is by far the easiest and most cost effective solution. If you do contact Karen, perhaps you might mention my name.

Regards

Dave Bell

#8 29-08-06 08:10:18

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Hi Dave,

thanks for the tip - I have to admit to being an old-fashioned, face to face kind of guy, so would prefer to find a local person.

I've been recommended to someone & so I'll see how that pans out. If not, then I'll certainly try Karen - mentioning your name of course!

Cheers,
Andy.

Ambition Driving College

#9 29-08-06 14:49:15

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Whatever you do Andy you are going to have to keep records of your income and expenditure. So, keep these and then make an appointment at the end of the tax year to discuss it with your local tax office. They are very helpful and you don't really need an accountant. I would suggest running your financial year in line with the tax year.

If you are going on a pink your future will all be sorted by the end of the tax year so compiling your final accounts shouldn't interfere with your training.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

Board footer