You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-04 01:34:45

pageant

Life in the fast lane.

Is it just me or does anyone else believe as I do that they should increase the maximum speed limit on motorways. Whats wrong with 80mph if conditions dictate? Most already do it and police turn a blind eye. And whats all this nonsense about moving back to the left as soon as it is practicable. Who the hell does it anyway and surely you create more potential hazard with such constant weaving. For gods sake lets make the outside lanes DRIVING lanes. We are after all trying to get from A to B safely AND QUICKLY, aren't we? Maybe mimimum speed limits for specified lanes would also help keep things flowing. Am I irresponsible or is their method to my madness. Wait a minute, I'll just get my boxing gloves!

19-03-04 01:34:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Life in the fast lane.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-03-04 08:13:04

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Local examiners have told us that if a pupil begins to overtake another vehicle and that vehicle speeds up to 70 or so, then the pupil is quite in order to increase up to 75 or 80 to complete the manouvre. They do not want to see pupils backing off and falling in behind as this is more dangerous.

I've had pupils fail for not driving at 70mph (ie 64mph) on our local D/C.

When it comes to motorway lessons I show them the very real hazards of driving at 60mph; of moving back to the left too often or too soon; of weaving to get ahead; and of excessive speed without the adequate space; And yes, we often do touch 80mph, but I don't recommend it.

If the speed limit is raised to 80 the same debate will start all over again, but with less safety margins. So on this one I'm more for the status quo.

The American system of driving in whatever lane you like might work if they had proper training, but their awareness frightens me. To change anything on our motorways would would need a massive campaign to retrain or at least readjust drivers thinking.

It probably needs it anyway!

Regards,

#3 19-03-04 08:19:00

DAVE-ADI

No matter what the speed limits are,  some drivers are  going to ignore them.   
Having a 70mph limit at least gives the fuzz a marker to be able to catch those who are actually driving dangerously,  not necessarily just speeding.

Until a way can be found to educate drivers on attitude I would say leave them as they are.

#4 19-03-04 08:32:56

Badger

When I was in the Middle East the local Sultan decreed (and anything he decreed happened overnight!) that a large plinth was to be erected at the entrance to the city and on it placed the worst most recent crash wreck which was to be changed every few days.

It had a very sobering effect on those drivers setting off down the long desert roads which were of a very high standard and therefore very fast.

Nothing like a bit of gore going black in the sun  to shaken the hardest of van drivers.

Youre right Dave ADI  its attitude and until "It wont happen to me " is changed nothing will make any difference.

No 20 mph zones, no home zones, speed bumps, false give way restricters, speed cameras are going to change anything.

Badger

#5 19-03-04 08:41:58

skier

A few years ago RoSPA Driver Training Services sent a team to this lot to retrain their Instructors and Examiners.

First questions were, what is the speed limit here, there and elsewhere.

Answers were much the same, 30 + 10, 50 + 20.. everyone was + something extra, the extra was then allowed by the police and their gov.

They were all reducated and a crack down started. Wonder if it is better there now.

#6 19-03-04 09:59:17

pageant

But surely youve(all?) driven at 70 and felt that 80 is often a more realistic speed for the road. And everyone already drives this speed (or more) and a large number follow the 'american' way of lane usage. Its surely that mixing those drivers with the ones who follow the highway code to the letter is what could be causing any problems at present. With speed currently varying between 60-100mph is it any wonder. Having a minimum and maximum for specified lanes and allowing all lane usage would only be advocating something that is largely already being done by drivers using their own initiative. How on earth this would require a major training campaign I fail to see. Drivers already do it and it is obviously safer NOT to keep changing lanes at speed. They are statistically by far the safest roads so lets get some more realistic rules in place, have a nationwide campaign to inform people and everyone will focus on the SAME procedures. Surely the status quo is not helpful. Most drivers have been left for far too long developing their own rules for motorway driving so there's no consistency of speed flow. And as we all know, everyone driving at similar speed will both improve safety and get us all from A to B quicker. And as for the police, shouldn't they be doing more to enforce 'progress'(especially on D/C's). Test candidates will fail their test for 60mph and these slower drivers cause far more problems for themselves and everyone else on the faster roads.
And bigred, as to your point that raising the limit will only get the same debate again then wouldn't you agree that that is the fault of the speed limits themselves and the lack of strict enforcement of them by police. Many speed limits are simply WRONG, even in built up areas. This causes frustration to even the most responsible  drivers who simply develop a rule breakers mentality. This leads drivers to drive at the speed they think is appropriate and what makes it worse is that they know the police turn a blind eye to slight speeding. So much for improving driver attitude! So lets make all speed limits the maximum they can possibly be realistically for the conditions and crucially the police should then enforce strictly that limit so there is no grey area for drivers to develop such a complacent and potentially dangerous mindset.

#7 20-03-04 02:20:42

Unplugged

Hmmm difficault one the original speed limits were placed when card were a kit less safe than what they are now.

Primaraly an increase in speed limit to 80 will result in people assuming its safe to do 90.

The norm is however that no matter how much you stick to the speed limit people will always pass you maybe German style no speed limit roads?

#8 20-03-04 08:12:59

DAVE-ADI

Driving 30 mph  down a street with a school at  11pm at night would probably be acceptable,  yet doing that speed at 3.30pm in the afternoon would not.
Driving at 90mph on a clear stretch of motorway early on a Sunday morning would probably sage enough,   but add drifting fog to the equation and it isn't.

In other words,   driving conditions change, and  if drivers would drive according to the conditions, raising speed limits would be acceptable.

But too many drivers on our roads either aren't educated enough to understand that,  or simply don't have the right attitude to make it work.

As soon as a learner passes their test, they fling aside all their good work they have done in gaining their freedom and follow their peers. 
No matter how hard we, as ADIs, work on them regarding attitude,  it all goes down the pan within two weeks of them getting onto the road.     

Yet we still get the blame.

Re-education and tetesting of qualified drivers is a no-no, because it would be political suicide to try and introduce any such measures.    So we are stuck with what we have now.
I have no ideas on how driver standards could be improved other than retesting or retraining,  and until it's discovered I vote against raising speed limits.

#9 20-03-04 08:31:02

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Educational campaigns run by the government do eventually work.

As a teenager (many years ago) me & all me mates used to drink and drive. It was common practice and pretty much socially acceptable. Figures have shown an improvement in this area pretty consistently over the last few decades.

Unfortunately, there is a hard core of older drivers who have never seen the light and hopefully will one day be caught before they do any damage.

The same will happen with speed and no matter how good the campaign, they will still go faster than everyone else, because that's the buzz!

For these people, enforcement is probably the only way.

Variable speed limits on motorways with cameras to enforce? Possibly.

But please don't increase the speed limit until something else improves.

Regards,

#10 20-03-04 17:02:55

muffin

Dave ADI said'
Driving at 90mph on a clear stretch of motorway early on a Sunday morning would probably sage enough, but add drifting fog to the equation and it isn't.

A few years ago there was thick fog on the M2 and many accidents. One of the people involved complained on TV news about the matrix signs,

saying

"How are we supposed to drive at that speed. It's not safe is it?" :evil:

Total numbnuts.

Makes me want to cry sometimes :cry:

J

Board footer