You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-06 13:04:19

sandra

failed

:x hiya everyone thought i would let yas know i failed my test on monday 31st july got 8 minors but 3 were on roundabouts being hesitant as no-one had indicator on to leave i just sat there like a div so he marked me as serious boohooo i would have failed anyway as when i got back he asked me to do a bay park and i can only do right reverse in and there were only 3 spaced 2 being filled and i do it by the knob on the door middle of 1st bay and slow turn and i go into the 3rd bay then 2 turns to straighten up only probs being 2nd and 3rd bay were allready filled .anybody got  any hints for bay parks i used to allways do left with the 4 door car but since changing to a 2 door the window goes up at the back nd i cant seem to see. short arse me so he learned me this way .i would have hated just to fail on the bay park so good job i was thick on the roundabouts too.please help me for next time being september  thanks my god there was only 1 passed when i was there out of 5 so i suppose i wasnt the only gutted one on the day...  roll

02-08-06 13:04:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: failed

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-08-06 14:46:43

Ghost

Sorry to hear your news Sandra.  sad

With bay parking, try to use your own skill and judgement. Reference points are a complete waste of time as you have found out the hard way. You should feel let down by your ADI. Go to a car park and get parked however you can in a bay. Get a mate or parent to make obs for you as you drive forward four feet or so and turn full lock to the right while all the time looking at the bay you are coming out of. Take in notes of what the bay should look like at various points if you were going the other way. Then straighten up when at 90 degrees to the bay pull for ward a bit and try the process in reverse. Once you can achieve the park add in the obs you have been taught. Do not rely on when this lines up with this etc. It will only work in your ADI's car in an ideal situation.

Good luck with your next attempt. Keep us informed with how things are going.

DJ

i can only do right reverse in and there were only 3 spaced 2 being filled and i do it by the knob on the door middle of 1st bay and slow turn and i go into the 3rd bay then 2 turns to straighten up only probs being 2nd and 3rd bay were allready filled .

ADIs that insist on ref points for manoeuvres read and take note.

#3 02-08-06 14:59:53

den676
Verified Member

Bay parking confuses me cos my Part 2 tutor said it was perfectly ok if you turn the car to about 45 degrees towards the bay before reversing.

Yet one examiner said I had to start at 90 degrees.

Then on my second Part 2 test the examiner just said reverse into a bay.

So I pointed the rear of the car before reversing as the Tutor had said and got no faults.

Thinking of writing to the DSA to clarify the point.

#4 02-08-06 15:10:19

luchell

So sorry to hear your result. I would REALLY feel i had let my pupil down if they couldn't bay park properly as in didn't know how to do it. If the right hand side of our carpark was full and the failed because i hadn't helped them sort their left one out i would feel terrible!!!!!!!!

Shame on the hesitancy but otherwise a good result. Good luck for the next and hopefully last one  wink

#5 02-08-06 18:20:56

msdarcy721

aww hun, bit disappointed to hear your result...

however on the positive side, which is always there wink it wasn't a nightmare, you realise where you've went wrong, what you didn't quite get spot on... and what to do to help yourself between now and the next shot wink in terms of what to work on etc

i found roundabouts quite tough. on the build up to my test, i was struggling with those and working on my observation at junctions (particularly not seeing yikes stop signs and then acting accordingly). my ADI told me to look at a vehicle's speed and the direction of the wheels, which he said are great pointers as to which way they are going to go.

elsewhere on the site, there's a fab tutorial about roundabouts which might be useful for you to have a flick through:

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/le … bouts.html

good luck hun xxx smile

'don't stop, you've come THIS far' wink

#6 03-08-06 05:46:19

ExAdiNigel

Sandra, do you have a busy roundabout locally with a cafe or pub with outside tables to the side?  Experience is really the key - getting used to seeing where drivers position themselves is as important as any indication.  Anyone would probably feel silly setting up a deckchair next to a roundabout but if there is some sort of drinking establishment sit and watch where everyone is going.

Bay park.  Do you have any access to private practice?  Find a quiet car park and start with the car in a bay facing out.  Drive straight forwards out of the bay (into the bay opposite if there is one).  Stop, then reverse back into the bay you came out of.  Next, drive forwards out of the bay again but this time turn the wheels slightly so that you are at a slight angle, straighten your wheels before you stop.  Now reverse into the bay again.  Repeat this increasing the angle as you become more comfortable with each try.  Repeat whole exercise to the other side.  If the person sat with you (or you) have a low boredom threshold do this for short periods of time.

Good Luck

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 03-08-06 08:20:45

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I once took a pupil for test and he had to do the bay park when he got back to the test center. He did manage to do it and did in fact pass his test, but , in answer to den676 about position from which to start the maneuver 90 or 45 degrees, the examiner told my pupil, 'There are a thousand and one ways of doing that and you have just made it a thousand and two'.

So in fairness, there isn't any correct way to do it, nor is there a wrong way to do it. It is open to interpretation and which ever way works is the correct way, so long as you do all the observations and keep the maneuver safe.

kjs

#8 03-08-06 09:41:39

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Have to say, that when i've been sat in on tests and bay park is done, the examiner (every time i've seen it) has asked the pupil to pull forwards out of the bay, and to make sure the car and wheels are straight before beginning the reverse park into bay...

lol... just realised...they don't say striaght to what!!

#9 03-08-06 11:40:12

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Hi skiffle. Would that not constitute a fail , because ,in theory, the examiner has taken control of the test, I think!

I know that the pupil is allowed to check by what ever means is available like using mirrors or even opening the door to check, and if need be , they are allowed 1 correcting shunt to get the car in the bay

kjs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 03-08-06 12:09:17

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Hi skiffle. Would that not constitute a fail , because ,in theory, the examiner has taken control of the test, I think!

No, they say it right at the beginning, before the pupil/candidate pulls out of the parking bay in the first case.

#11 03-08-06 17:39:26

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Ok. If your pupil was to explain to the examiner that they normally do the bay park from an angle of 45 deg, would the examiner allow them to do it that way do you think??

kjs

#12 03-08-06 19:37:23

ExAdiNigel

....they are allowed 1 correcting shunt to get the car in the bay

Don't think it is stated anywhere that they are only allowed 1 shunt.  I think you'll find that any examiner that says only 1 shunt is making his own interpretation!

Nigel

#13 03-08-06 22:23:48

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Hi adiNigel. I can only go off what I have been told by examiners at my local TC. I know that if the pupil dose have to make a correcting shunt , they only pick up a minor on control ,but not had one fail yet that has had to do it.

kjs

#14 04-08-06 00:14:23

luchell

All mine do a 45 degree bay park with no problems they don't ask either they just do it smile. They can shunt to a degree does seem to depend on how far theyve gotten into the bay etc. If passed by the end up til bay park they will get away with a little more shunts ive noticed if they really HAVE to

#15 04-08-06 06:59:15

ExAdiNigel

Hi adiNigel. I can only go off what I have been told by examiners at my local TC. I know that if the pupil dose have to make a correcting shunt , they only pick up a minor on control ,but not had one fail yet that has had to do it.

kjs

I wouldn't expect them to be failed for making a correcting shunt.  You stated that they are only allowed 1, I'm quite sure that some of my pupils have made more than 1 shunt and still passed.

Nigel

#16 04-08-06 15:46:37

phil jackson
Verified Member
Website

All of our pupils are taught a 45 degree angle bay park and this is acceptable at all of the test centres we use.
Regards Phil

phil jackson
phillipjackson@adeptdrive.co.uk
tel 01462-636423
ADI's Wanted Stevenage,Letchworth,Hitchin,Baldock
N.Herts

#17 04-08-06 17:45:08

HellsBells

Silly question? :? What is a shunt? Do you mean driving forwards a little? big_smile

Past 1st time! 5 minors!

#18 04-08-06 18:44:34

sparkle

Shunt= pulling forward to correct a mistake big_smile

Board footer