You are not logged in.

#1 23-11-04 18:39:10

classic-racer

Help -Part three phase 2

Hi folks,

Am new to this so be gentle with me.

Have just sat and failed my 1st attempt at Part 3, did fine on phase 1, but was useless on phase 2.

I can't seem to get my head around watching the road/pupil etc at the same time - then i miss the faults and it all seems to go rapidly down hill - would be really greatful for some advice .

Cheers
Dave

23-11-04 18:39:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help -Part three phase 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-11-04 21:34:02

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

practise is the best advise i could give you.

Or if your in my area? you would be welcome to sit in, on a couple of lessons.
It may help !

Regards

#3 25-11-04 01:22:18

Helvary

Hi

I'm not sure which part of the UK you're from but perhaps you could refer the problem to your trainers, what benefits do you get if you're not successful ?
if you need any further help then I would recommend you shop around for an ORDIT approved trainer or even consider a trainee instructors licence to give you that extra support you need.
feel free to IM me should you need any advice.

Helen

#4 22-12-04 13:39:25

dashdriving.com
Website

Hi,

As you know, Phase 2 of the ADI part 3 test is all about your approach to fault finding and remedial action with a pupil who is at, or about, test standard.

The simple truth is that you should be watcing the pupil far more than you should be watching the road ahead. The pupil is driving the car, not you, and you will miss valuable chances to correct subtle faults if you are not intently watching what the pupil is doing.

Lets face it, as an experienced driver who has passed part2 and the HPT test, you should be able to take very very quick glances ahead and spot potential problems that need your attention, but as above, keep both eyes firmly on the pupil as much as you can. As a rule of thumb, your pupil should know that it's safe to emerge at a junction before you do. Watch the pupil closely. Are they looking where you would look?

Far too much ADI training is based on useless PST's that are completely unimportant anyway, and not enough emphasis and training is based on the core competencies such as the above. Remember, the PST's are nothing moe than what a test route is to a learner. The core skills are the all important factors that will pass you.

More details on my web site or e-mail me any Q's (not PM please, I don't always check).

Hope this helps

Dave Hartley
ADI trainer

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

#5 23-12-04 21:40:59

Rob_BWFC
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Dave, but would like to add one thing which I used to help me pass part 3.

Why not try to know what the "pupil's" main faults will be before you even drive away? For example, I had Trained T Junctions Emerging, and before we even set off, I asked him to talk me through emerging and he replied that you should always select second gear. Bingo - there was one of my faults. After watching him fly out of junctions with little observations, and after analysis, it turned out that he didn't think observation was too important and was more worried that he would be delaying the cars behind. After my remedial action, problem solved.

Spend some time preparing questions in a little book beforehand for each of the phase 2 PSTs. It'll only take 2 minutes to ask him before you even set off, and as long as you ask the right stuff, at least one fault will be apparent before you've even seen him drive.

Most PSTs can be structured by the first question of how do you recognise, what routine should you use and then some more specific questions. For example...

Q. How would you recognise a meeting situation?
A. Well, it's where the road narrows for some reason and there's only enough room for one car
Q. What would you need to do on approach to one?
A. I'd check my mirrors...etc etc
Q. How do you know which car should give way?
A. Well, I always try to make sure I get through there first as everyone always stops for me...

And there's your fault.

Obviously, there will be more subtle ones, but I bet you can get the main fault out of him by using Q&A beforehand. That will be one less thing to worry about as you can sort it out quickly and concentrate on watching him on other stuff.

Hope this helps

Rob

I'm done...outta here!

Board footer