You are not logged in.

#1 23-02-06 14:16:30

Delta
Verified Member

What's the point of a business account?

I'm due to pass part three quite soon  big_smile and am weighing up options for my future.

I've looked at a few business account deals for when I go indie but what is the point?

Most banks are offering '18 months free banking' etc as incentives but why not keep a personal account (seperate from main account like I do already) where I can enjoy free banking eternally?

Once the 18 months are over you are charged for paying in money, withdrawing money and setting up deirect debits. These to me are the negatives of having a business account but what are the positives?

Who out there uses a business account and what are the advantages of it?

23-02-06 14:16:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What's the point of a business account?

#2 23-02-06 14:18:57

reddragonbus
Verified Member

Its purely for the bank itself, there is no benifit for the customer.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 23-02-06 14:55:37

SnowDog

There are benefits. You just need to decide if you need them or not.

It is easier to keep things separate and you get advice if you need/want it. I use my business account for various things, so it makes more sense to keep incomes separate.

There's also the matter of whether the bank will be happy you using a personal account for business once they realise what you're doing. They charge for business accounts largely because of the additional traffic involved in putting money in on a regular basis, so in some respects you can understand why they do it even you don't like it smile

It seems to be related to general attitudes. Once upon a time it made perfect sense to have a business account for business and a personal account for personal stuff. In keeping with general modern attitudes, though, many people advise keeping everything in the free personal account (though there are free business accounts available) for as long as you can get away with it.

In the end, it's your choice (unless the bank throws a hissy over it) wink

SnowDog

#4 23-02-06 15:09:12

paul1

I think it depends on how much you use the account that would affect whether or not the bank would not like it. Probably for most of us there is not enough transactions going through to warrant having a business account. I have never had a business account, because it isn't necessary and I believe it's far too expensive.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 23-02-06 15:48:27

drivinscool

I believe it's far too expensive.

http://www.anbusiness.com/

#6 23-02-06 20:28:04

Delta
Verified Member

Cheers for that, I'm liking the Abbey idea - never considered them before.

I do have a seperate personal account for business use to keep everything simple. I make a deposit once or twice a week depending so bank shouldn't mind if I keep personal for a while.

Also, when buying a school car, are there any reasons why getting a business loan rather than a personal loan would be beneficial?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 23-02-06 23:16:39

paul1

I believe it's far too expensive.

http://www.anbusiness.com/

On checking the charges that Abbey says are exceptions there appears to me to be very little, if any, difference between their business account and an ordinary personal current account.

#8 14-07-06 14:45:14

Target
Verified Member
Website

When I went solo I personally started a business account with Abbey.

I wanted to stick to my own bankers but they wanted £5000 deposit.

However..........The main reasons were simple.

> Pupils can pay either myself or Target Tuition. It looks professional and may say any problems, although most pay myself.
> I can keep advanced payments from my normal working account.
> I will help me keep the personal expenses free from business expenses.
> Also looking long term and would prefer and business account if I started taking on Adi or Pdi etc etc.

Trouble is.....My personal expenses are not very tidy so yet to use the account, but its there.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#9 14-07-06 17:37:02

pj
Verified Member

I don't have a business a/c, have loads of others coz used to work in the bank but can't see the point of one, Chqs made out to my name.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#10 14-07-06 17:50:26

sparkle

Would never have a business acc lol

Accountant is fine with my personal account, and for me personally its alot easier lol

#11 14-07-06 20:22:48

catman
Verified Member

Hi

I prefer a separate business account to keep things tidy. 

Also, if it comes to a tax investigation the taxman can only look at business records - unless he finds reason to extend his enquiry.  Therefore if you only have the one account for business and personal he gets to look at that and it may have all sorts of personal stuff in it.

I have found a wonderful free business bank - Alliance and Leicester Commercial bank.

You bank at any Post Office and so don't have to find somewhere yellow-line-free in the centre of town in order to get to a high street bank Monday to Friday.

catman

Please use Everyclick.com as your regular search engine to help raise funds for the cat charity Haworth Animal Welfare.

#12 17-07-06 19:16:58

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I got too big for a personal account and got kicked out by the Halifax. Now got an HSBC business account and end up paying about £45 per month charges :cry:

I sold a car last year, got cash for it and they charged me £20.70 to pay money into my account. :cry:

Don't ever bother with  a business account unless you really have to :cry:

60p just to write a cheque :cry:

I hate fat bankers.

Regards,

#13 17-07-06 19:56:47

catman
Verified Member

Free banking at Alliance & Leicester!!!

catman

Please use Everyclick.com as your regular search engine to help raise funds for the cat charity Haworth Animal Welfare.

#14 17-07-06 22:58:27

jr
Verified Member

Free business banking with Alliance & Leicester. Pay in at local post office and do most banking over internet.
Its time you changed banks big red. :? Its not all absolutely free, had my first charges in over 2years this month. 2 customer cheques bounced and I was charged £7.50 each. The customer did pay the £15.00.

Quote from catman "Also, if it comes to a tax investigation the taxman can only look at business records"
When I had a tax investigation I had to supply all bank statements, private and business.

If I was you I would have two personal bank accounts. No charges at all providing you are good.
John

#15 18-07-06 06:40:14

catman
Verified Member

Hi jr

The taxman can only look at business records unless he finds reason to extend his enquiry.  Business and personal are separate upto the point he finds the business records to be inadequate and then he is allowed to ask for private records.

catman (ex Inland Rev accounts investigator)

#16 18-07-06 09:39:29

sparkle

catman> may i ask a question that always makes me curious>

when will i get investigated? will i get a letter? or do i suddenly come home one day and officals are waiting for me outside my house? i honestly dont know?

Does everyone get investigated?

#17 18-07-06 09:59:51

luchell

Many years ago my Dad was investigated after someone reported My Uncle Bern for working for Dad and he hadn't declared it!

Back then they asked him how much meat a week he ate,how did he afford to go on hoildays cos his passport was stamped. He had to sit behind mum so they couldn't see each others faces!! He said it was awful they got into anything and everything. He calculated that each they went through 9 hours of interrogation yikes

I don't know what it's like nowadays but i don't fancy it. All mine goes through my personal account as well so could be interesting. Book keeper has advised that i need to put my Adi monies taken into a savings account then transfer it over. I couldn't believe after sorting my first year out that there was cash unaccounted for. Nightmare  roll

#18 18-07-06 10:00:55

luchell

Oh yes and Dads accountant LIED!! Tax man said i suggest you get yourself a new accountant!! Dad made the accountant sign to say he would pay the 3k fine and the bloke did as well. He blatantly said he didnt know about something when he did. Dad was fuming.

#19 18-07-06 10:06:02

catman
Verified Member

Yes - unfortunately some accountants leave a lot to be desired.

You get what you pay for as in anything.  If you pay basic fees to prepare a Return from bits of paper - he will do a basic job.  He won't ask questions to help him compile your Return and at an interview with the Revenue he will be unable to help other than on points of law, and perhaps not even that.

If you pay what the job's worth he will ask you questions about your trade and what you did and where you recorded it and what you spent it on etc etc.  This type of accountant will be useful at an interview.

catman

#20 18-07-06 10:09:05

luchell

I have just found myself an accountant hes been doing Mum and dads and my brothers returns for years now. He has quoted 300 pounds baring in mind EVERYTHING is already prepared by my book keeper. It is all there listed one by one all tidy so im thinking this is a fair charge?

He tells me it sounds like i am due quite a good rebate by the details i have given him so fingers crossed it will pay for the tax return

#21 18-07-06 11:54:55

jr
Verified Member

Wouldn't disagree with anything catman has said. Mine was just a routine investigation. I had an accountant who advised me what and what not to claim. It would be very expensive to take your accountant to the interview but do it if you can afford it.  I was not worried at all about the interview and answered all questions honestly.
Everything was fine until training fees and what date I actually started trading came up. At that point they then looked at previous years and all bank statements etc. Needless to say I had to repay the amount claimed for the training fees. (paid for before starting trading) Please don't lets have another discussion whether they are tax deductable or not.
Got a nice letter congratulating me on how my records were kept and a bill for just over £500.00
John

#22 18-07-06 16:13:53

sparkle

Thanks Catman!

Im not scared anymore lol im all official and normal so got nothing to worry about,..but the tax men do scare me lol

#23 19-07-06 13:57:15

jr
Verified Member

Hi catman,
When my investigation was under way I found on the Inland Revenue site the information  tax inspectors use to help them with various trades. One of them was specific to driving instructors which I found very useful. Since then I have not been able to find it.
If its still there and you know the link could you post it on here because I'm sure most instructors would find it helpful and interesting.

John

#24 19-07-06 19:19:37

catman
Verified Member

Hi jr

I think this is probably what you were wanting  www.hmrc.gov.uk/bens/ben23.htm.

There are more links to related topics at  http://search2.openobjects.com/kbroker/ … nstructors

catman

#25 19-07-06 20:00:37

jr
Verified Member

Thanks for that catman.
John

Board footer