You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-07-06 22:07:10

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

Fleet training - worth it?

Hi Guys

I'm lucky. Always fully booked, never advertise and charge highest rate locally (£23 ) but I went to an ADI meeting and met the DIA's general manager, Eddie Barnaville.
He mentioned fleet training as an option. I already hold my Dip.D.I. and thought I might do the fleet course. Is it worth it? Is there more money in it? Is there enough work to do it full-time? Just thinking about the future, and no more 'L' tests!

John

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

15-07-06 22:07:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet training - worth it?

#2 16-07-06 07:18:07

Trumper
Verified Member

best way into fleet is the D.S.A option. That is what I did. I did Part 1 ,2,3 myself. All you pay for then is the test fee. I expect Eddie was trying to sell the DIA fleet course. You could save £3-400.

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#3 16-07-06 07:44:49

hector
Verified Member
Website

John i would definitely advise doing your fleet,
This is the future!
As trumper says you can go alone the dsa exam route and save a bit of cash, trouble is you then need to pass first time each exam otherwise it will finish up costing the same as an accredited course.And it can take a long time this route due to waiting lists for tests.
You could do an accredited course in a week.
But looking on the bright side DSA exam route could cost under £ 250.00. Its an option more and more ADI's are taking with a good sucess rate.

My fleet course costs £575 in total, with bigger companies expect to pay up to £750.00
I think if you look 10 years down the line with the current L market potentialy reaching saturation point, fleet is the big growth area.
There is a good amount of work at the moment with a possible explosion of work over the next few years.
I pay approx £80 for an afternoon on fleet work. Alot of the bigger companies will only pay £115 for a day though so at the moment the money isnt brilliant.
If you currently do say 6 hours a day with learners though earning say £126 then the above doesnt seem to bad and far less stressfull!
Just remember it will only take one test case under the new health and safety rulings to spark a massive increase in fleet work.
Bear in mind your future check tests will be fleet check tests.
I would say go for it John. Get the fleet pack from the DSA initially and decide which route to take.
Hope this helps Nigel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#4 16-07-06 09:57:59

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Trumper and Hector

Appreciate your replies. I will get the fleet pack and consider which option will suit me best. Thanks again.

John smile

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#5 16-07-06 17:55:04

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I run a sister company to The Big Red L Company called The Big Red Fleet Company, we've just registered for the SAFED for vans scheme and are paying our instructors a flat £250 per day. Probably well worth it just for a change and as has been stated a lack of stress. If any fleet trained guys are still thinking about it send me a pm and I'll tell you more.

Regards,

#6 16-07-06 20:17:50

whodareswins
Verified Member

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

I love you Tony. (Figuratively speaking).

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#7 16-07-06 21:26:39

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I know - but lets keep it that way wink

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-07-06 05:31:00

ExAdiNigel

I run a sister company to The Big Red L Company called The Big Red Fleet Company, we've just registered for the SAFED for vans scheme and are paying our instructors a flat £250 per day. Probably well worth it just for a change and as has been stated a lack of stress. If any fleet trained guys are still thinking about it send me a pm and I'll tell you more.

Regards,

Whereas, is you register yourself directly with SAFED you can earn £350 per day!  You have to pay £100 contribution towards the training which you then claim back on the first so many invoices.

I'm sure Big Red will reply to this to let you know what the £100 per day commision covers, so it wont actually be as excessice as it first sounds!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 17-07-06 05:43:47

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Foiled again!!

It sounds like easy money, but even selling free van training takes time and effort, you have to follow up leads, send out flyers, reply to emails and phone calls. You then have to communicate back and forth with the company and trainer, take deposits so that if the driver does not show my trainers still get paid. then there is the reporting stage and invoicing stage.

We also pay the training fees up front.

Alternatively you could go to one of the other companies and be paid £140 a day or similar.

Or you could do it yourself and earn £350 a day. wink

Regards,

#10 17-07-06 06:33:55

sparkle

I was tempted about 2 yr ago to go down the fleet road....however- the hours are no good if you need flexi time sad.

Was informed it was a basic 9-4/5pm every day...which dont appeal anyway..as i dont wanna work those hours anymore seems too much now lol but you cant exactly nip off to get ya nails done inbetween a fleet job can you lol lol lol

Wouldnt suit me big_smile plus school run out of the question doing fleet..shame but there you go :police:

HAving worked it out though..seems earnings are roughly the same maybe less than what i earn now yikes ..i suppose its a career change rather than a climb up the proverbial ladder lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 17-07-06 07:48:16

whodareswins
Verified Member

Whereas, is you register yourself directly with SAFED you can earn £350 per day!  You have to pay £100 contribution towards the training which you then claim back on the first so many invoices.

I'm sure Big Red will reply to this to let you know what the £100 per day commision covers, so it wont actually be as excessice as it first sounds!

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

You probably already know (if you have read all the SAFED rules and requirements) that:

1. You provide the required Van Man training and then, at the end of the month, you submit your invoice to the "training" company. E.g. Drivetech.

2. They check all the paperwork. If all the "t's" are not crossed or the "i's" are not dotted, they send it back to you.

3. Assuming everything is OK, they submit your invoice to the DfT. They then pay you at the end of the next month.

All this means that you will get paid about 2 months after you have provided the training. Oh, and by the way, you must be VAT registered because VAT invoices are required. This is quite a hassle for your average ADI.

BigRed pays for all the initial (SAFED) training for his Fleet Trainers, currently £200. He does all the paperwork. He also pays them when they submit their invoices to him which means you get paid a lot sooner. He also pays about double the going rate provided by the large Fleet Training companies.

Yes, it's true that "SAFED" pay £350 per day but I personally feel that the £250 I receive is extremely good considering all the paperwork I avoid and the fact that I get paid a lot sooner.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#12 17-07-06 15:49:32

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Percy,

Sorry, but you've slightly over stated our service as we cannot pay the invoice until we get paid by the Government. However, if a no show happens we can pay straight away.

What we do promise is to submit the paperwork and then make payments within 2 working days (this should be read as two seperate periods not one) or less if it's towards the end of the month to ensure trainers don't miss any deadlines.

I hope that clarifies things.

Regards,

Board footer