You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-07-06 16:16:40

confused
Verified Member
Website

Result!!!!

Where do I begin?

Pst2 (Beginner; moving off & stopping)

SE was a pupil who babbled a bit and quite slow to recall things. Did the intro and drove from the TC to an area a few streets away. Once he started chatting it was hard to get a word in but when I did begin the briefing I rambled a bit and it went on too far. I mentioned a forward reference but didn't get him to establish one. I covered, mirrors, vision and use; mirrors & direction;
MSM and coordination satisfactory for him but as said the briefing went on, he said I didn't got into precautions before pulling away well enough, without the forward reference point his stop position was pants and he stalled, so I hadn't mention control when stopping.

Saying that I got a 4.

(Trained; Anticipation, meet & adequate clearence)

Same name but a different pupil and he did readjust mirrors etc for the Cockpit drill. Q & A was ok. At the first jnc no mirror check signalling right, mentioned it and asked about mirrors. As we went up the road we approached a zebra crossing. I missed a great opportuninty to go into anticipation at a crossing and low & behold a chav, sorry, pedestrian was about to step onto the crossing with no intention of stopping to look, he just stepped on it. As we drove through it. SHOT ME NOW!
SE was using wrong gears at wrong speeds and still not checking mirrors so I pulled him over. Mentioned all this and how he wasn't giving clearence to parked vehicles, this he did a lot and I pulled him over again. "What's a meter?" Should have used reference point for normal driving position to illustrate and adapt for passing vehicles. On a dual he kept accelerating toward a r/b with an MPV in front, 2 sec rule and more planning required on jncs and mirrors. Then he was stopping 3 - 4 car lengths on the hold back position. At the end mirrors, gears and clearnce were sorted or better but that zebra crossing was still a glaring error. I should have given a verbal warning or Q & A on the approach but "my head was in the shed!"

3 and I deserved it.

I really did work hard on the Q & A, he was forthcoming in the end. I did get mostly 4's on techniques and half 3's & 4's on core competencies.

I feel gutted! I knew it was hard but on phase 2 it was continuous fault after fault. His driving was good but conditions gave him a good crack at making one error after another.
It is good experience but I really wanted to do it first time. Once the nerves had settled I enjoyed it but not too much.
There's loads I could've done as went around but I was thinking it when I should've been saying or doing it.

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

12-07-06 16:16:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Result!!!!

#2 12-07-06 16:20:15

luchell

Well done for that result at your first attempt. Hindsight is wonderful isn't it except you can't change the past. You will nail it next time. Also thankyou for sharing your experience here it will help others no doubt. what are your plans now bit more time on the pink and then take again?

#3 12-07-06 16:21:53

sparkle

Fantastic result for a first go confused, really is.

Take the positives from this attempt on to the next wink

:afro:

#4 12-07-06 16:22:36

VandADI
Administrator

Hi confused,
Sorry to hear of your delayed success and I thank you for sharing your experiences.
It sounds as though you were pretty close, it is difficult when your mouth is playing catchup with your brain, as you say, you were thinking it but not saying it;  Practice, practice practice, then practice some more and you will get the result you want.
Best of luck for your next attempt,
VandADI

#5 12-07-06 16:34:37

pj
Verified Member

oh confused sorry to hear your news, sure you will nail it next time, then you can join the 2nd timers club big_smile loads of us in it big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#6 12-07-06 16:37:52

markA.d.I

Unlucky confused

A very good effort on the first attempt, it comes thick and fast doesn't it?

Good luck on the next one, thought of a date yet?

#7 12-07-06 16:43:58

confused
Verified Member
Website

Thank you all and those to come for your kind words. Even though I feel like a tw@t.

SE suggested waiting a week before rebooking, so I'm just thinking of other things to keep me sane!
(Plus I've got a lesson @ six)

I was aiming for 6's but I knew I wouldn't get them and those who did, my hat goes off to you, aim high, shoot low.

I'm still kicking myself for that zebra crossing.

Muppet!

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

#8 12-07-06 16:46:13

sparkle

You passed part 2 first go didnt you big_smile thats good! i didnt big_smile

It wasnt your day 8-)

You aint a muppet  lol

#9 12-07-06 17:19:58

luchell

I'll tell you what confused, it takes a very brave person to come on these boards and tell us about their delayed success, i admire anyone who comes and does that.

Your account will help many others and you are not a plonker!!

I will tell you something, its advantage to YOU next time because you are not venturing into the unknown anymore. You now know what it is like so you will feel even more prepared next time.

This isall just deffered success, keep at it during your pink, analyse EVERY lesson and as you say aim as high as the sky. 6's you go for it!!

#10 12-07-06 17:37:42

markA.d.I

I totally second Hayley!

good on you !

#11 12-07-06 18:34:40

Doc
Verified Member
Website

Most people here will agree that not that many will pass 1st time on the part 3 so you are still in the majority and more importantly still in the running. A 4/3 isn't too much off the mark of a 4/4 so you really are close and can only get better with time and experience. The experience will serve you well in your preparations for your next attempt. My advice would be to look at your test report and use your pupils to tune up your skills.

#12 12-07-06 22:04:09

smdtr

Unlucky and respect to you sharing the details,  I'm sure the detailed account will benefit others.  Best of luck next time.

#13 13-07-06 07:19:41

garethh
Verified Member

Really hard luck!
But thanks for sharing your experience...
Mine kicks off in just under 2 hours!!! ( So what are you doing on the pc?!?!)
Likewise, first go, kacking it now but we'll see.......
Gotta go........
Cheers
Gareth

#14 13-07-06 08:02:44

Tomcat

roll  roll  roll 4/3 and you're a muppet? Do you realise you can't get any closer to a green badge? As Sparkle says you ain't a muppet. If you got a 1/1 then I would be the first to give you that title but you didn't and you ain't.
The thing is you will go into your 2nd attempt without the biggest worry us humans go through and that is 'the unknown'. You now have the experience to draw from. Do so. You don't have to disect your 1st attempt into fine detail but learn from your errors and omissions.
Next time you're more likely to get a different PST so don't dwell to much on the details. What you need to focus on is the method. It matters not 1 iota what PST you get. What matters is how you instruct. Don't miss out vital information. BUT above all don't be distracted by the antics of the SE. Get them in the palm of your hand and keep them there for the hour.

Enjoy any training sessions you have between now and the 2nd attempt and I'm sure you will be posting better news next time round. wink

#15 13-07-06 09:26:29

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

So sorry about your 4/3. I know exactly how you feel, ive got two of them now!!  I was exactly the same as you, that I was thinking and not talking.  I even got 5 for fault identification in both phases but just failed to deal with them adequately.

I also had a blabber mouth on my 2nd attempt which lef my briefing a whopping 12 mins!!!

But like most people have said, and to me also, keep on practicing, and practice on your pupils.  My last attempt is in November, yes thats the earliest date they could give me!! 

Dont do what I did and fall into the same traps next time!

Best wishes, JonnyG

#16 13-07-06 10:48:54

confused
Verified Member
Website

As I'm the analytical type I've already disected, examined and noted my mistakes on the pt3. Yes it has been a good learnning tool as I know what to do next time, but what gets me is the wake up call it gave me.
I thought I was a good instructor, I maybe on a pink but I have a good rapport with the pupils, core competancies are spot on 75% of the time. My instruction is clear and understood, I have about 5 pupils coming up for test ready (some have been lax with doing the theory despite my urging them).
But the pt3 (whether it was just this SE or if they're all like it) was intense! Kept hitting me with faults and not following my instruction on correcting them.
Yes, my handling of the zebra crossing is what cost me a pass, don't normally do that. But when I look at the marking sheet it is mostly 4's.
As I've said in highway stars thread, there were things he said I didn't cover or say, I did. So I do feel cheated on that aspect.
All in all, it was down to me not speaking at the right time, as the SE said "See it, say it, fix it"
If I sound like a sore loser, I'm not. There is lots I could've done differently which I'll bear in mind for next time, but I do feel the SE missed some of my instruction and marked it accordingly. That narks a bit. From that I'll be a bit more insitant, in taking control of the lesson and getting the SE to listen.

maybe back to my drill sgt days?????

www.drivingzone.co.uk
DSA ADI & Fleet

Board footer