You are not logged in.

#1 07-07-06 08:55:24

emmajaneb
Verified Member

Part 2 Question

Hi,

Passed my Part 1 on Wednesday and so am now starting to get my head around what I need to do for Part 2.

A few questions (I'm sure they've's been asked before but I couldn't find the answers - apologies if I'm repeating stuff) :

A) You have 2 years to complete parts 1 - 3.  Does the 2 years start from when you apply for part 1 test, or when you pass your part 1? (not planning on taking 2 years, but worth asking as you never know what's going to happen)

B) Is the 'Show Me - Tell Me'  included in Part 2?  I've looked in the Driving Instructors Handbook (13th edition), but it doesn't say...

C) Also, if I pass Part 2, do most people go onto a pink licence then, or just do training for part 3? 

D) And, just so I'm clear - if I want to be on the trainee license after Part 2, then I must be sponsored by an ADI + need to be signed off on 40 hours of Part 3 training before I can apply for the trainee license?

Thanks in advance,

Emma

07-07-06 08:55:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 Question

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-07-06 11:06:47

Doc
Verified Member
Website

A.  The two year limit applies from the date you passed part 1.

B.  Yes. I think you can download the document from www.dsa.gov.uk

C.  You can't go on a trainee licence until you have completed your 40hrs which includes your part 3 training.

D.  Yes, you need to be sponsored but the 40hrs training need not be all in car, time spent on private practice and the use of informative media such as dvd or book can count towards the 40hrs.

#3 07-07-06 12:07:37

luchell

Doc that does not count towards your forty hours or i would have done mine simply by the ammount of time i studied and was on here smile Only the training given by your trainer is counted towards the 40 hours and has to be on specific areas. I am sure someone will clarify this.

#4 07-07-06 12:09:39

luchell

You also once on a pink have to have a further 20 hours training OR 1 in 5 lessons supervised and signed off.

My private practice alone would have filled 100 hours im sure of it time in a classroom or car WITH your trainer be that watching a dvd or going through the theory behind the psts or core comps for example is counted and signed off by the trainer. If this was not the case many people could simple self sign and obtain a pink licence if you see what i mean.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 07-07-06 12:24:57

VandADI
Administrator

D.  Yes, you need to be sponsored but the 40hrs training need not be all in car, time spent on private practice and the use of informative media such as dvd or book can count towards the 40hrs.

The above statement is incorrect! ! !

Luchell is absolutely correct!  The 40 hours HAS TO BE ALL IN THE CAR/CLASSROOM BY YOUR TRAINER - in addition to private practice and informative media and totally agree that luchell is correct in saying you will need to complete another 20 hours training whilst on a pink OR 1 in 5 lessons supervised and signed off.

#6 07-07-06 12:29:27

luchell

Yep some companies do classroom training on the topics which can work ok, i prefer in car myself as well. They do combine it such as one day you will learn the principles of talk through guided instruction then prompted then independent instruction. The following day is spent in the car practising what was learnt the day before. That is still ok to be signed off as it is your trainer who is doing it.

#7 07-07-06 12:31:59

VandADI
Administrator

I trained with TIC and for part 3 we did 2 days classroom training IN ADDITION to the 5 days in car training which incorporated the 40 hours.

#8 07-07-06 12:35:09

luchell

Similar to mine with Bsm then. Ours was 3 days classroom the three days practical were after each theory day over a period of three weeks. We were 2 to 1 trainer though and that IS counted towards your 40 hours even though you may not have spent as much time in the passenger seat because you are still participating. I would however knowing what i know now that i personally would have preffered one to one training.

Everyone is different. But all this must be looked into so you understand what it is you are being offered when you train.

#9 07-07-06 13:01:47

Doc
Verified Member
Website

Ok Fair enough points. I never used the pink having passed 1st time but i was aware that not all the training had to be in car.

#10 07-07-06 13:12:23

luchell

Ah i see, in which case a BIG welldone to you. How did you find going into part three without the pink. I am sure lots of our members would like to hear. I was told oh 99.9 percent of people would never pass without one which i now know to be unture. It is about 50/50.

did you have any willing victims/pupils? did you have dual controls etc fitted to your car. Sorry to be so nosey i just feel this could help some people to read your experience of how you did what you did. Especially as you did not use the trainee licence and you passed first time smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 07-07-06 13:15:41

VandADI
Administrator

Similar to mine with Bsm then. Ours was 3 days classroom the three days practical were after each theory day over a period of three weeks. We were 2 to 1 trainer though and that IS counted towards your 40 hours even though you may not have spent as much time in the passenger seat because you are still participating. I would however knowing what i know now that i personally would have preffered one to one training.

Everyone is different. But all this must be looked into so you understand what it is you are being offered when you train.

TIC generally operate the 2 to 1 trainer policy - I was very, very fortunate as I had 1 to 1 training as one of the trainees dropped out at the last minute.

#12 07-07-06 13:18:36

emmajaneb
Verified Member

Thanks for all the answers so far smile

I've now printed off the show me / tell me stuff off the DSA site (thanks doc) and will study and practise hard for the part 2, before I look at what to do with part 3, but good to get things clarified.

#13 07-07-06 13:25:59

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I put my successes down to being mean. From the begining i vowed to not pay any more than 1 attempt at each part and thankfully or luckily i managed 4x1st time passes which includes the HPT. For part 3 i didn't use a training partner, learner, family member, friend or duals. I didn't ever set a question to my colleagues on the forum, it was purely the training i received from my tutor and practice in front of the mirror giving briefs. My main reason for this was that i wanted my knowledge to be uncontaminated by any other means. It wasn't easy though as i can vividly remember leaving the house to go to a training session feeling "I can do this" and leaving almost every session thinking "who am i kidding" I had made my own pst spiels with the intro to a lesson, the aims, objectives etc and all the relevant questions to make sure that if i failed that it wasn't because i didn't know how to kick start a lesson. I believe this work paid off as my report read 6/6 for communication, 5/5 for Q&A and 5/5 for planning.

#14 07-07-06 13:30:11

luchell

Good luck with it Just give us a shout if you need anything smile

#15 07-07-06 13:38:06

luchell

Sounds good to me. Sadly my training was to be honest not sufficient on its on and it seemed the emphasis was you must use a pink or you won't suceed. so i did. I passed everything first time also and have had my first checktest. I put all this down to using this forum as my resource To help me use my pink correctly and get the most from it.

You do have to be VERY dedicated, if i had just used the training i was given i do not believe i would have passed first time. I found part three fun and a pleasent challenge. ~I had no fear of it as i felt so well prepared. This is feel is very important to achieve success.

having not been with any actual learners how have you found this now you are on the road? You first lessons etc? Mine was an easy transistion as it felt no different the badge just changed colour but the first few months on my pink were ermmmm odd is all i can call it. I believe due to inadequate training then being put on the road. After 3 months i passed the part three and felt really comfortable in the car although i still had alot to learn which i think we all have throughout our working careers i fell. smile

Did you start up independent? That was my dream, i thought i could pass and then go indy straight away this was why i wasnt keen on the pink although i think it did me the world of good, it could have very easiley gone the wrong way with bad habits etc. Again thanks to theser guys o kept it straight and learnt lots from here.

i was obviously tied into a 6 months contract. when i left i was asked why i started with them anyway on a pink. I told the manager because it was made clear to me the pink was the norm, yes she said 99 percent would NEVER EVER do it without. This was when i left last year. I didnt want a contract, it really hurt to tie myself in and i tell you after looking at my first years accounts  the company i was with enjoyed more than i did in 6 months plus the payment to get out of the franchise early due to bad vibes i suppose.

#16 07-07-06 13:51:46

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I trained with LDC and took up the franchise. 3 years on i still don't have an inclination to go independant, in fact i am awaiting my ORDIT date for part 2 tutoring. I know what you mean about having the forum to nurture your new skills, i use the LDC forum and still to this day find it an invaluable source of information. I can't say that i found it difficult instructing for the first time though it did feel odd. It took about 3 month for me to start feeling like an instructor. Don't get me wrong, i made mistakes like turning into a dead end but a "who put that railway line there without telling me" was a good get out line.

#17 07-07-06 13:58:03

luchell

lol lol We must have all done that. I must have been half minded one day as i directed a pupil down a road I KNOW is a deadend!!!!!! yikes  roll

I just have a way with words, "now then what a wonderful opportunity for you to do some steering practice and i will do the pedals (this was like a 15 point turn it was so tight and she was quite new to driving  roll lol) We did it after about 5 minutes but the pupil new no different lol You do have to 'blag' a little at times to make where you have taken someone accidently look like it was planned lol

Yes different, that is a good word to use for how it feels with a pupil. Not intimadating just new. don't know why i always fancied being independent, i think if you have dreamed of something for ten years and that is how you saw it that is what you want to achieve you know?

Good luck with ordit, it is something i would like to do when the time is right. I want to do lots of extra bits a bobs inc the cardington special. I keep saying it, its just finding the time. I enjoy studying whether it be improving my driving skills or my theory knowledge. I have always found it interesting.

I would really love to do the diploma, dont know why but i would like to in the future.  smile

#18 07-07-06 13:58:53

luchell

P.s sorry to hijack the thread but this info could benefit someone i hope lol lol

#19 12-07-06 08:43:19

pm
Verified Member

pm me your email and i will send you the show me tell me questions & answers

looking for buddy in tamworth..delayed success.. strike 1

#20 12-07-06 08:47:39

pm
Verified Member

or you can just go here and download it yourself

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/General.asp?id=12659

looking for buddy in tamworth..delayed success.. strike 1

Board footer