You are not logged in.

#1 11-07-06 10:18:48

Bully306
Verified Member

Left Rev/ Rev Park reference points PT.3........

Morning all,

I haven't been on here for a bit as i've had a cataclysmic confidence shatterer called a .....part 3 test failure!

I got pst 4? Left reverse and t junctions. A thoroughly miserable experience ending in a 2/2. I thought it was a little harsh but it was never a pass.

Anyway after going through he usual self doubts and "is this for me" analysis, i'm back on the horse so to speak. I've spent far too much money.....and well it's the flippin' principle isn't it!

I thing that the examiner didn't seem to get was the turning point on the left hand reverse. I have been taught the judgement method and use of the blind spot mirror during obs. this didn't seem good enough for him and we ended up all over the place!

What reference points could i give?? My trainer says he may be after a head rest reference but that only works on certain corners so would be redundant evrywhere else. he wasn't happy at all as his method has been fine for other examiners in the past.

Also what ref point can I give for the distance going back into a space on the rev park? I know my ref point from the passenger side so would i stop them mid manoevre and get them to find they're ref point from mine???

Cheers in advance and roll on september (2nd go at pt.3..................crumbs!)

What? Wahey!......Gerroffff!

11-07-06 10:18:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Left Rev/ Rev Park reference points PT.3........

#2 11-07-06 10:32:02

luchell

I teach my pupils with judgement but for an Se no it is not specific enough at all.

Have a look at the tutorial on the main home page of this site on the left reverse to see if that is of help at all. You need to work out reference points that work for you and your pupils.

I take it you talked about looking out the rear window to see where the kerb is at the start of the manouevre and to keep it there. as you approach the point of turn it will disapear and move to the rear N/s window. Stop the Se/pupil when they are at the point of turn(you can see that in the blindspot mirror tell him/her you will ask them to stop at point of turn to establish the point of turn for the 'pupil' to use), so when the back wheel is lined up with the first turning kerb stone. Ask him where the kerb is in the N/s rear window, if its a sweep tell him to keep it there. Follow it round then when the kerb returns to the REAR window JUST BEFORE it gets to where it was at the start to straighten up. If it is a sharp when at the turning point which you have now identified together full left lock to go round.

Have you gone through this since with your trainer? Have you sought extra training? It is great you are not giving up, from your result seems there is some work to do. This is not meant rudely whatsoever. I CAN tell you that method will NOT work for an Se it is far too non specific, even with my pupils although we later on use judgement they need points to start usually.. Your trainer needs to train you how to find your reference points. I teach the manouvres and we work out the reference point together myself and the pupil as it can be slightly different for each pupil due to varying heights etc.

Perhaps an assessment from another trainer would be a good idea, just a thought smile Good luck for september, what did the S.e feedback to you after the part three?

#3 11-07-06 10:33:33

luchell

Out of interest could you explain what you said to the Se to get him round the corner if that makes sense? Perhpas that will help us to help you more? smile

#4 11-07-06 12:28:52

Bully306
Verified Member

Cheers Luchell for the feedback. There is indeed a bit of work to do but I think the first go has opened my eyes a bit. Fully confident of at least getting a 3/2 next time!!!

Anyway what i have been taught is this judgement method: take back to the turning point (as seen in the little mirror),slow clutch control, see an imaginary car park space round the corner you want the car to hit, guide the back of the car round increasing or decreasing steering to hit that spot, when bit of tape in middle of rear window hits the kerb straighten steering wheel (This tape bit works fine) 3/4 car lengths back. plus all obs etc.

On my test we nearly reversed into a dustbin wagon but i was a bit flustered by then!!!

Reference points seem a good way of going though. Something concrete to stick to. i'll mention it tonight on my lesson, probably end in a fight..........

What? Wahey!......Gerroffff!

#5 11-07-06 17:15:06

kesa12
Verified Member

This one I struggled with too when I was training, I also had it twice on two separate tests!!

My advice is watch the pupil or SE and see where they are looking, is it the nearside mirror? if so don't let them stay in it for too long! They should be looking out the back window, its the direction they are reversing into but also they should have a better sense of where the car is going, also look at how much lock they are putting on, it maybe too much or not enough! I also use the old watch the kerb disappear out the back window trick!! does seem to work.

Also the SPEED needs to be slow, watch that too, on my test that's was the se's problem and because of that I just couldn't get him to get the manoeuvre correct. But I know it's the key to any manoeuvre now.

#6 12-07-06 09:57:06

megron
Verified Member

Just picking up on this subject.

On part 3 do you usually get a left reverse or is it just dependant on how they feel?

#7 12-07-06 12:58:06

kesa12
Verified Member

I don't think it depends on how they feel, but not entirely sure! and no you don't get a left reverse every time you do a part 3 test.

As you can see the first 4 tests were all manoeuvres, so whether they were hoping for an improvement or not I don't know? could have been a coincidence) I did 6 part 3's when I was training about a year ago and these were my PST's on all 6

Phase1            phase 2

right rev    -      t junctions - emerging

left rev       -     t junctions - emerging

turn.i.t.r     -     junctions to turn either right or left

left rev        -   t junctions - emerging

controls       -    crossroads

crossroads   -  pedestrian crossings and signals

I never had the same SE except on two attempts.

#8 12-07-06 13:00:48

luchell

~I would say its just coincedence that you got manouevres 4 times. Some people go back and get the same pst twice etc so just the luck of the draw on the day i think smile

Board footer