You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 09-07-06 17:08:47

Tomcat

Re: Controls Lesson

36_11_6.gifNo apology from me Lisa. Hope you're teaching it 'off road' 36_11_6.gif

09-07-06 17:08:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 09-07-06 17:41:33

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

I had big mental struggles with 'Cockpit Drill & Controls' at Part 3. I always felt (and still do) that it's more logical to deal with the Controls before Cockpit Drill, as if you've not yet introduced the pupil to the gear, how can they check it's in neutral? If they've not been introduced to the handbrake, how do they check it's on? If they've not been introduced to the mirror adjusting switches, how can they adjust their mirrors?
Which do you normally do first - when not practicing for Part 3?

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#28 09-07-06 17:55:47

Tomcat

Which do you normally do first - when not practicing for Part 3?

I never did 'handbrake and neutrual' on my part 3 as part of 'cockpit drill', never got marked down for it. It don't take a sec to show them mirror adjustments, which if done on entry to the vehicle do not need to be repeated under controls. Use of mirrors I teach seperately to controls anyway. I believe they are important enough tobe a seperate topic rather than part of a larger topic.

Its not when you cover it but how.

#29 09-07-06 18:03:28

megron
Verified Member

Oh no - now I am confused  :? :?

I have been teaching cockpit drill first using the dsssm method and then the controls.

Should I not be doing this??????

Just with reading everything about part 3 this is the way the lesson is set out.......

Was in a way looking forward to my part 3 - but not so sure now  yikes yikes yikes

#30 09-07-06 18:24:09

sparkle

I got controls on my part 3 ..pst 1.

Explained door/mirrors/seat positon head restraint..etc..then onto controls..

Scored a 5 big_smile ..passed first go,..and have stuck ridgid to that ever since..if its wrong im not fussed..it works and thats the main thing lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#31 09-07-06 18:39:18

LisaADI
Verified Member

36_11_6.gifNo apology from me Lisa. Hope you're teaching it 'off road' 36_11_6.gif

Not teaching it anywhere now...flippin thing chucked in me boot  :x

#32 09-07-06 21:58:55

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

Megron, with the Part 3, if it's Cockpit Drill & Controls, do it in that order, as you were doing, I was just mentionning that it did get me a bit confused!

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

#33 11-07-06 13:09:48

gmclmul
Verified Member

Hi Megron,

I bought 2 steering wheel covers for about £6.00 each and I use them to demonstrate pull-push and steering position letting pupil hold one in front of the steering wheel, to follow me as I demo' left and right turns, full lock etc.  I find these really helpful as it helps me to emphasise avoiding dry steering and allows some practice on pull push and postioning the hands.

I also use a pointer ( the aerial of an old radio) to point out reference points in the car. This keeps me from 'invading' a pupils' personal space.

I am on a pink and going for my part 3 when I am think I am ready???  maybe in about 2 months.

I find that practising with pupils while studying and extra practice with my sponsor is giving me a better -I hope - understanding of what an examiner would be looking for.

Hope upu find this helpful,

Regards,

gmclmul

#34 12-07-06 15:06:02

rocket
Verified Member

ermmm, i use an imaginary steering wheel and hand movements, then get the pupil to loosly put hands around wheel and simulate movement in correct manner....also use a clock face, 12.00oclk and 6 oclk etc to verbally quantify it/position.

R

#35 14-07-06 18:58:47

stuart 0521
Verified Member

Hi Megron,

On part 3 controls pst, use the drive from the test centre to training area to demonstrate steering. Give the pupil a full talkthrough as you drive, explaining the pull push method as you actually use it to turn a corner. If traffic conditions allow, turn the corner slowly so your talkthrough keeps pace with your hands. On slight bends explain the difference in the amount of steering required in comparison to turning, on straights demonstrate the ten to two position and the requirement to keep both hands on the wheel (not resting arm on window or holding gear lever etc, etc). Its only a short drive so there will be plenty to talk about.

When it comes to the steering as part of the brief then all you need to do is quickly recap what you explained on the drive, explain that turning the wheel to the right makes the car turn right and vice versa, get pupil to demonstrate ten to two, explain the pull / push method gives best leverage and control and therefore safety, explain left  / right lock as opposed to steering lock, explain the need to look well up the road as the eyes follow the hands.

Then move on !,

The "pupil" won't even be moving the car during this lesson (pst). You will teach them steering properly on a later lesson.

The point earlier about handbrake / neutral should not come into pst 1 controls, this will be covered in pst2, moving off & stopping, however it is listed on the marking sheet for pst1 as precautions before moving off, but as you only have 30 mins on this phase you shouldn't get this far.

Hope this helps

Stuart

D.S.A. A.D.I., Ordit Registered
Pay as you go, instructor training. East Sussex

#36 14-07-06 22:15:07

pj
Verified Member

When my friend got this pst they didn't even leave the car park. neutral

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#37 14-07-06 23:08:09

stuart 0521
Verified Member

Strange !

Just goes to show, listen to the word play & take it from there.

Did they pass ?

D.S.A. A.D.I., Ordit Registered
Pay as you go, instructor training. East Sussex

#38 15-07-06 06:45:57

sparkle

I also had a friend with pst 1 and they did not leave the car park for phase 1-yes he passed first time big_smile

I had pst 1 on my part 3 and talked to the de in the car like a would do a normal pupil, telling them we going to the nursery route round the corner etc...watching my steering---i went into 'switch off' mode...and he became my pupil...he went along with it..chatting away while I drove.... key is CONTROL.>>> take absolute CONTROL of the lesson from the OFF>

On this drive you need to ask 'have they driven before'?  'where they live' Find out as much as possbile..as it happend my SE hadnt driven before ever and was like an over excited child lol lol was more interested in my CD player than anything else..that was until i popped it out and chucked it over back seat lol lol lol

I enjoyed my part 3 .. i know luchell did too..... part 2 for me was FAR worse! lol

#39 15-07-06 07:41:19

markA.d.I

i hated part 2 as well .... i was so nervous, part3 was a different ball game,no nerves at all,strange hey?

Like sparkle said control from the off is the key, i nailed him on 3 faults before we got out the car park,and that i think set the tone and gave me control,no time for warming up,hit the ground running as they say!

#40 15-07-06 13:24:02

pj
Verified Member

pj wrote:

Strange !

Just goes to show, listen to the word play & take it from there.

Did they pass ?

Yes he did 1st attempt, infact it was funny coz he put himself in the drivers seat and was going through the controls, the SE then asked "can I have a go?" , friend made a big joke about "oh of course you can" and then they swapped seats  roll  doh lol

Think it can depend on if your test centre has a big car park or not, Wallington does so  maybe that's why they didn't have to move off neutral

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Board footer