You are not logged in.

#1 09-07-06 08:34:56

megron
Verified Member

Controls Lesson

Hi

Just wanted some advice on the controls lesson for part 3.

My instructor has been banging on about the importance of keeping to my own side of the car at all times as to not intimidate anyone - the only problem I am finding is that with the controls lesson I keep wanting to show them how to use the steering wheel and short of tying my hands down I inevidbly keep going to touch the wheel  neutral neutral

My instructor has said that it should be fine to use a tray/frisbee or such like to demonstrate where to hold the wheel and also the push/pull method.

Is this acceptable enough as I don't want to be going up for my part 3 and get the controls lessons and then look like a complete idiot as I shuffle my hands around a frisbee  :? :?

I would be grateful for any advice on this  big_smile big_smile

09-07-06 08:34:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Controls Lesson

#2 09-07-06 08:47:24

markA.d.I

He is right,iron curtain down the center of the car at all times, unless in an emergency where you might make contact with them while grabbing the wheel (i explain this to the pupil on controls lesson!).

You shouldn't really need to be touching the wheel when doing the controls lessons, i use loads of pics,and then use 2 marker pens for describing the steering, i give them a pen,i keep one, get them to copy you, hold your hands up as if on the wheel,the hand with the pen is the one that will be pulling/pushing the wheel, the hand with out will be feeding the wheel,very hard to put into words,but it does work,haven't needed the tin tray yet !!! (sure i will at some point though!).

hope you can make sense of that?!

I am very good with keeping my side of the car, as i am one of those people who hates my personal space being invaded, wouldnt want someone waving there hands infront of my face! big_smile

#3 09-07-06 08:58:28

luchell

Coundn't agree with Mark more. I have just been discussing this topic with someone else who knows what hes on about, we agree it's a case of " This is my space, thats YOURS" You will only go into their space if you need to for instance to grab the whweel if it is neccessary but make it clear.

You watch some pupils pin themselves to the drivers door! Awful thing to happen to them especially if they are nervous. Its a small enough space as it is and they need to know they will be ok in their half  smile

#4 09-07-06 09:12:44

megron
Verified Member

Hi

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to try that pen trick and hopefully as my hands are busy doing something else they'll not be drawn to the wheel  big_smile big_smile

I couldn't agree more that you should respect peoples personal space and thats why I'm getting so mad at myself for keeping on going over to their side.  I have been using loads of diagrams as well but as I said it almost seems involuntary (perhaps its bacause I'm so aware of it that it keeps happening!!)

Well if all else fails I could try bribery on the day to avoid controls  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ah well back to the studying but I'm sure I will find something else to have a panic about!!  yikes yikes

#5 09-07-06 09:42:34

markA.d.I

Hey Megron, you are not alone with this, i was always given grief for waving my hands around by my trainer, in the end he used to rap my knuckles !!!!!!!! hard!

I soon got out of the habit!

When i was starting to give briefings, i use to get really nervous,and would play with a pen,or jangle the keys,that use to earn me a smack!

My trainer was a good laugh, we got on well,thats why i would try to point things out,and didn't think about reaching across him, if that had been a 17 year old girl, and i brushed against her,god knows what they might think!,stay well over your side of the car at all costs!

I have a new car,the door mirror adjusters are out of my view,so i took a pic, easy to get round these things!

Good luck!

#6 09-07-06 11:17:01

sparkle

Whats wrong with demostrating how to turn/hold the wheel from passenger side? I do it on controls lessons all the time.

#7 09-07-06 11:24:24

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

I`m keeping outa this one!!

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#8 09-07-06 11:27:35

markA.d.I

I would hate an ADI leaning/breathing all over me ---- might make an exception for you though Spark's !

#9 09-07-06 11:28:25

markA.d.I

Ps male 's have to be much more careful !

#10 09-07-06 11:29:03

sparkle

The worlds gone crazy if a woman cant show another woman how to hold the wheel correctly lol lol lol

No i dont brush any body parts before someone asks  :police:

Anyway-each to thier own and all that stuff but i bet you cant keep outta this one lol

#11 09-07-06 11:32:00

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Pay up!

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#12 09-07-06 11:35:05

sparkle

Pay up!

ohhhhhhhhhhhh and i was so looking forward to a meaningless debate about touching the wheel from the passenger side-ahhhh well. loves ya really :evil:

#13 09-07-06 11:40:08

Tomcat

Why use a frisbee or similar?  :?  :?

I use my hands on an imaginary wheel in front of me. It is easier for them to see what hand does what when. You can exagerate with an open hand when it 'ghosts' the 'working hand' and I've never had a problem. Apart from my book of road layouts to explain things I don't like using 'props'. It just wastes time getting it out and putting it away again.
You don't need to touch the wheel to demonstrate it and therefore don't need to lean onto the students side of the car. Direct their right hand to find light switches and stuff. But I agree with comments above the world has gone crazy but you gotta play it safe.  wink

#14 09-07-06 11:50:47

sparkle

Trust you lol

Well, im carrying on doing what i do big_smile im happy and so is student big_smile

Dont forget i only teach ladies lol lol and im a lady....soooo errrrrrrm well you know lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 09-07-06 13:51:52

Tomcat

Trust you lol

You know you can wink

lol lol lol lol lol

Quite right though if it an't broke don't fix it. If it works for you then enter their space. I don't advise it but then I teach more females than males.  wink

#16 09-07-06 14:18:01

pj
Verified Member

I've had a tray for years but always looking for something better, tried using an old steering wheel but found it too heavy so I made 2 steering wheels from thick cardboard then covered the rim in black tape , the correct size and with the cut out bit in the middle, this has worked great, made 2 so the pupil can copy me as I show them. Very blue peter stuff lol lol lol but very effective big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#17 09-07-06 14:19:17

VandADI
Administrator

I use a circular cake board.  wink

#18 09-07-06 14:30:42

sparkle

Funnily enough i use my very own hands and the steering wheel attatched to the car lol im being naughty now.

You all know i carry my ebay sterring wheel in the boot for the 'hard to grasp' steering club..other than that..my fair hands do the job big_smile

#19 09-07-06 14:33:40

Tomcat

Funnily enough i use my very own hands and the steering wheel attatched to the car lol im being naughty now.

Yes very naughty.   roll Dry steering i'll wager.   roll  roll I hope the car isn't moving as you lean over using the wheel.  :evil: wink  lol lol lol

#20 09-07-06 14:37:41

sparkle

sparkle wrote:

Yes very naughty.   roll Dry steering i'll wager.   roll  roll I hope the car isn't moving as you lean over using the wheel.  :evil: wink  lol lol lol

nooo ya nutcase i didnt mean that--i meant im being naughty taking the peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#21 09-07-06 14:43:09

Tomcat

Tomcat wrote:
sparkle wrote:

nooo ya nutcase i didnt mean that--i meant im being naughty taking the peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

29_2_4.gif

#22 09-07-06 14:53:33

megron
Verified Member

Excellent!!

I've now found something for my 10 year old to do to stop her complaining about being bored with it being the school hols  :evil: :evil:

Shes gonna be very busy making mummy 2 pretend steering wheels   lol lol lol

Thanks PJ !!!!!!!!!!   big_smile big_smile

#23 09-07-06 15:41:06

LisaADI
Verified Member

I purchased a training steering wheel...its great NOT...everytime pupil hooks it over wheel & practices due to the pressure,  my dam horn goes off  :x

#24 09-07-06 15:45:25

sparkle

I purchased a training steering wheel...its great NOT...everytime pupil hooks it over wheel & practices due to the pressure,  my dam horn goes off  :x

lol lol dont mean to laugh but awwwwwwww poor you lol

#25 09-07-06 15:50:03

LisaADI
Verified Member

I know its a pain...ebay here it comes i reckon  lol

Board footer