You are not logged in.

#1 25-03-06 21:28:29

boabyboy
Verified Member
Website

Suzuki swift

Hi,

Does anybody use a suzuki swift as there tuition car, quite fancy one but how is the build quality.

Thanks
Robert

25-03-06 21:28:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Suzuki swift

#2 26-03-06 12:43:38

luchell

I looked into them to, i like the look of them. I have heard that the back window isn't great for manoeuvres but i am not sure on the build quality.

#3 26-03-06 13:03:21

sparkle

They are getting popular here. I quite like the shape-looks best in balck though 8)

#4 27-03-06 12:42:35

New Girl
Verified Member

I also think they look really cool in black.  Am considering one of these for my next car.....I would suggest a test drive, then you can report back to the rest of us!!

#5 01-04-06 20:59:02

Hopton
Verified Member

Not the swift but the Wagon R+ is great for Manouvers and all round vision because its high and great all round even the chief examiner said he like the all round vision as he was sitting in the back as it was a check test for the other Examiner on my pupils test.

Yes my Pupil did pass.

Driving me Crazy, and thats just the wife !

#6 18-06-06 14:18:57

jonks

Suzuki swift

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#7 18-06-06 14:35:07

luchell

Well you just knew i would come here didn't you lol

Well then, the dealer wasn't exactly giving with freebies. I did manage to get free metallic paint and the dual controls package including in the package though so not all bad.

I use the 1.3 Turbo diesel DDIS. I have also driven my Mums 1.3 Gl which i have to be honest is VERY sensitive with its clutch and gas. I can imagine my pupils having fun with that. Mine however being a diesel is easier to handle i find for my pupils. Also its VERY quiet for a diesel compared to my Clio and it starts more like a petrol than a diesel. (again hard to explain but so much quieter and less diesel like)

I paid almost 10,000 pounds for mine whereas mums petrol was about 2,500 cheaper than mine. However mine includes as standard, alloy wheels, air con (a MUST HAVE!!) slightly more sporty interior, fog lights (front) and being a diesel my reverse gear is up and to the left of first gear. the petrol is under 5th gear. I prefer where my reverse gear is located smile

It has adjustable steering height, fully adjustable drivers seat, electric windows and electric and heated mirrors, central locking obviously. GREAT fuel economy compared to mums even though mine is being driven by learners mostly i am almost doubling what she is getting from her tank.

The only downer is to keep your warranty of 60,000 miles OR 3 years valid you must service the vehicle every 9,000 miles. I do not do too many miles here so it's not a bother to me. You also get three years breakdown cover.

The most important thing for me was to check out if the service department was any good. Sure enough it came up trumps. I had a water leak   roll coming out of the A pillar passenger side out of the air bag hole (can't explain it better than that) Went to the service department told them it was my 2nd day teaching in it and i wasn't impressed with this happening. Service man offered to pick my car up the following day (I had the day off luckily) get it sorted and drop it off when he came home from work. All fixed, the aerial was letting water it. No problems since. Now that's what i call service when i need it. I was totally prioritised smile

I was worried as all the windows on the car look so high. However you also are in a high seating position, the mirrors are huge and actually visibility is good all round. VERY easy to manoeuvre nice tight turning circle. About 2 and a half turns to full lock. The car has really good road hold tried and tested by my rally driving little brother  roll In large puddles and tight country roads. very like going out with Jeremy Clarkson except i had duals :evil:

Lovely light steering just a pleasure to be honest. GREAT stereo lol and Cd player. All controls are very easy to access whereas i found you had to stretch to reach things in the Clio, even the gear lever felt far away neutral

Under the bonnet everything is easy to find and i mean VERY easy even with coolant written on the top easy for my pupils. Bonnet is easy to open catch is OK and even my shortest pupils can open with no problems and secure. Rear seats are VERY easy to put down and put back again for extra boot space.

Spare wheel I am afraid is a space saver(no good for a driving test cannot go over 50mph) yikes Uh oh, i've kept mine the normal sized one doesn't fit in the boot without hanging out at an angle over the sides. They will throw a normal one in in stead for you it's just adapting the car to fit it in the boot. I take my mums when i go on test usually as she has one hanging out of her boot lol

If i think of anything else which i am sure i will i will add it lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 01-07-06 14:17:18

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Just looking at a possible change of car from the Corsa... (Silver Corsa Brigade!!) Only thing about the Corsa that I'm finding it hard to get my head around - is finding another small-ish car that i can use - sensibly as a "main" family kinda car.

Main point with this - for the moment is not fitting in pushchairs or baby seats - but getting a truck full of camping gear into the back of it for a week's camping expedition!

Long winded way of asking really, but Hayley - what's the boot space  like inside? and do the back seats fold down flat flat?

(And if i can find a Suzuki garage i'm off to have a look!)

Skiff.

#9 01-07-06 15:06:15

luchell

Back seats yes they fold down VERY well as far as they can go. Boot space without ermmmm not much. Room for roof board and other stuff but its petite as such lol Oh my brother can get his Henry (his is a george i think theyre a bit bigger) vacuum plus hose attatchment thingy in mine a large bucket and another bucket full of car cleaning stuff when i picked him up from valeting a car and he was impressed.

It's a little like a tardis inside lol Looks tiny BUT not so bad when you see what you can fit in it lol

#10 01-07-06 16:58:04

evan

Sounds like a proper little thoroughbred to me. Ev big_smile

#11 01-07-06 17:49:38

luchell

Oh Ev it is lol lol wink

#12 01-07-06 22:21:09

la.monikita
Verified Member

i tested how the door shuts, don't laugh it wasn't tinny rattle (rin tin tin), it was a nice solid thump, my way of testing quality lol

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#13 01-07-06 22:53:40

evan

la.mon, you sound like me. There is something very satisfying about the way a door shuts on a car. It makes you feel good if the door shuts with a thump. I was impressed with the Yaris because of this, however I'm between cars at present. I have two months to make my mind up. Ev

#14 01-07-06 22:57:59

la.monikita
Verified Member

do the instructor centre do one? if so how much? pls find out the buy outright price lol

Abraham Maslow

#15 01-07-06 22:58:11

luchell

Yes same as you two everything is really quality and sturdy. Interior looks classy no cheap trim etc

#16 01-07-06 22:59:49

pj
Verified Member

it's very nice, I was very priviledged and allowed to sit in it big_smile

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#17 01-07-06 23:01:44

evan

Can I have your autograph Pauline ha ha ha. Ev

#18 01-07-06 23:02:17

luchell

Really P.j? For free? Well they are such good cars whoever it was should have charged for a sit in the drivers seat.  lol lol wink

funny enough i got to sit in someones Fiesta not long ago as well, that was nice to compare the cars lol

#19 01-07-06 23:06:24

la.monikita
Verified Member

btw the engine is made together with fiat  lol, i like my corsa engine it's the only thing that hasn't gone wrong  roll

Abraham Maslow

#20 01-07-06 23:07:01

luchell

I know, its a goodun though. It is MEGA nippy for a 1.3 DDIS lol

#21 04-07-06 11:48:21

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I have the Swift 1.5 glx and what a pleasure it is to drive. Good all round viewing but had to get used to new ref points for manoeuvres. Very nippy and good road handling especially on windy country roads. The shape of the doors sadly mean that if you open the window during a bit of rain the water falls straight into the car. The boot is small but the seats fold down better than most to give you plenty of space if you need it. Keyless entry and start is a nice touch if you appreciate that sort of thing. Cost £9295 with metallic paint. Got the dealer to throw in a free set of steel wheels [value £200] and car mats [£60] and he supplied without asking a set of wheel trims [approx £70]. All this on top of free duals, supply and fit. The 1.5 is a bit of a guzzler at roughly 15p per mile but i don't have to watch the pennies and i like the quality and comfort as compensation for the extra expense. Insurance is £110pa dearer than the Corsa 1.0 but again i can absorb the extra outlay.

Definately this car is worth looking at.

#22 04-07-06 12:27:37

luchell

I never open my windows lol If i need air i switch the air con on lol

I'm a petrol car hater i must admit which is why i love the DDIS so much the fuel consumption really does take some beating. Im also a big non fan of the keyless entry and start which is standard on the 1.5 petrol.

I like where my reverse is to and you can only have that on the diesel. It isn't an option it just comes that way lol

#23 04-07-06 19:32:40

johnp
Verified Member

Hi Luchell,
I like the reverse to go backward.
The idea that to go backward you push the lever forward is beyond me.
It does not fit my logic.

In the old Escort days if the spring was weak  you selected Reverse at T/lights instead of first.   Great fun if you were behind.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#24 14-08-06 00:46:32

Midnight

Hi, Firstly I would like to thank Luchell for intruding me to the forum and have a little bit of input about my car and local dealer.

I have just purchased a Suzuki Swift ddis 3 weeks ago after which I managed to get a good deal from the dealer as he threw in 150 quid to spend on graphics, free fitted duals and a purchase price of 9600.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing though as the suzuki garage tried to install my he-man dual controls and messed it up completely.  I received a call to say that my car was ready for collection after spending one and a half days in the garage I took it home and gave it a close inspection to find that on the passenger side of the car a section of the carpet had been cut out and it had also been sliced about half way down which left the he-man bracket exposed. I also noticed that after lifting the carpet up on the drivers side that there was an extra drill hole where the mechanic had obviously drilled in the wrong place and if this was not enough when I actually tested the duals on my driveway I found that they did not work correctly and the brake pedal stuck to the floor after it was pressed down which could have been quite serious had I had to go out straight to work. Calling the service manager up immediately on finding this out I gave him a piece of my mind and was told that no it was not very good and it would be sorted out if I took it back the next day. I wasn't sure how he was going to fix a drill hole in my floor but I guessed as long as the dual controls work correctly then it would be a start. After taking it back to the dealer the following morning I called them in the late afternoon to see how they were getting on. I was then told that they were still having problems and couldn't get it quite right. My patience and confidence with these people was beginning to wear thin and I suggested or maybe I shouted a little that maybe they should get he-man in quickly to sort it out as after speaking to he-man myself they said it should only take 4 hours to fit and that there was no need to cut chunks out of my carpet. After waiting another day for the he-man installer to arrive the 4 hour job took 4 days in total to sort out and the service manager told me that they would not be installing the controls themselves in the futire and that we should put it down to experience. To soften the blow suzuki have ordered me a new carpet and given me a free 9000 mile service. I guess they may have been concerned that I may go somewhere else. I wander why?

Anyway I would like to ask a question for any ddis owners and that is when slowing down to take a left or right turn I have noticed that when changing down into second gear the car itself sometimes doesn't seem to slow down properly and I get a little bit of power as if the gas is still on slightly. I though it maybe something to do with the turbo.  I say this happens sometimes as this is not on every turn and I am convinced there is a certain speed that this occurs at. Just wandering if any other diesel owners have anything like this happening to them.

#25 14-08-06 07:50:48

luchell

It is common for diesels to 'surge' especially in 2nd gear. Have you taught in a desel before? I know with my swift the surge is much less than my clio so it isn't very noticable unless the engine has just been started for the morning and im moving off from home. Welcome to the forum by the way  wink

Board footer