You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-06-06 19:37:13

Kev D
Verified Member

Hiya

[img=Arial][/img]
Hello one and all.  I am new to this forum, and signed up for gold membership.

I have been an ADI for over 7 years, and the last 2 have been spent teaching the police.  Looking forward to sharing in your views, knowledge and wisdom (ok perhaps a little hopeful about the wisdom lol)

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

26-06-06 19:37:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hiya

#2 26-06-06 19:43:11

luchell

Hiya Kev and welcome. Could you tell us more about the work you are doing with the police. I would love to know? smile

#3 26-06-06 19:47:39

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Kev, Welcome to the forum smile

Giz

#4 26-06-06 19:53:34

Kev D
Verified Member

I am a civvie, not a police officer.  The main bulk of my work is taken up by teaching the 3 week Standard Resposne Course to police officers which allows them to respond to 999 calls.

There are also basic driving courses, which just ensure officers can drive safely within the highway code rules and regs, but not respond to 999 calls or any urgent calls.  Also include within there, personnel carrier training, and 4x4 training.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#5 26-06-06 21:47:33

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

Hi kev
Welcome to the forum
have you done any skid pan work at hendon?
I want there many years ago
had a go on one of the two pans, in rear wheel drive car
it was great fun!

You can tell a horse to drink a thousand times, but all you really need to do is help him realise he’s thirsty. (Coaching)"

#6 26-06-06 21:51:10

Kev D
Verified Member

We don't have a dedicated facility as they do in Hendon, we use skid cradle equipment (looks like a car with childs stabilizers).  These are operated hydraulically and can simulate front or rear or all wheel skids, and I am a qualified skid instructor.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#7 26-06-06 21:57:03

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

Are these the cradles from Sweden?
I've never used one, I'm told they don't feel like the real thing
but make a good second best, as you can simulate just about anything.
uses up a lot of tyres

You can tell a horse to drink a thousand times, but all you really need to do is help him realise he’s thirsty. (Coaching)"

#8 26-06-06 22:05:59

Kev D
Verified Member

I am not sure, but I don't think the cradle is from Sweden.  When comparing them against dedicated skid-pans, there are obviously advantages and disadvantages for both.

The Cradle is cheaper (that suits the bosses), it is more controllable, and can be immediately dropped down to normal grip if things start to get out of control.  Yes we do go through the tyres quickly with the cradle.

The skidpan can simulate skids at lower speeds, and it is easier to identify the very early signs of a developing skid on a skid pan at lower speeds, so it can be better for working on skid recognition.  The skid cradle requires a little more speed to make it skid, so once it starts to skid, you have less time to identify and correct.

Both of them are loads of fun, and valuable for anyone who is serious about driving, and can give any driver another tool in the shed which hopefully they will never have to use.

Police Driver Trainer
Grade 6 ADI - May 2013

#9 26-06-06 22:14:16

pj
Verified Member

Welcome Kev, sure we will see each other in the chat room again.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#10 26-06-06 22:24:23

msdarcy721

hiya kev

great to have you with us 8-)

welcome smile

#11 26-06-06 22:25:42

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

Did most of my skid control in the local car park, just after a little snow. :evil:
that was in the old days when I was a boy racer  roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 27-06-06 07:33:41

VandADI
Administrator

We don't have a dedicated facility as they do in Hendon, we use skid cradle equipment (looks like a car with childs stabilizers).  These are operated hydraulically and can simulate front or rear or all wheel skids, and I am a qualified skid instructor.

Hi Kev D and welcome to our forum.

I went on a skid pan course about 3 years ago, not an advertised course but through Kent Police using their skid pan facility.  It was on a cradle, as you have described, and simulated all types of skid using a control box within the car.  It was a fantastic experience, I really enjoyed the morning, would do it again (If I could afford it! lol).

#13 27-06-06 11:40:27

Sledge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Kev and welcome to the forum

I've been on the skid pan in a double decker bus with London Transport at Chiswick back in the early 80's before it closed, never had a go in a car though, well not on purpose. It's definitely something I'm going to have to treat myself to.

Smiling is contagious!!!

http://www.drivensom.co.uk/

#14 27-06-06 12:16:01

corsa
Verified Member
Website

hi kev welcome to the forum you will love it

if in doubt don t pull out
www.cartuition.co.uk

#15 29-06-06 16:52:14

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi Kev and welcome aboard mate!  8-)

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#16 29-06-06 19:15:21

markA.d.I

Hi there Kev, Welcome to the forum, Police training is something i would like to get into when i am more experienced!, would be great to pick your brains in the future!

Cheers for now,

Mark

Board footer