You are not logged in.

#1 24-06-06 07:24:08

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Dip DI

Hi all,

I've been looking on the DIA website about the Diploma but can't really find out anything about the cost of the study materials. I know the exam fees are £40 per module (is this correct?) but does anyone know where I can get a list of the actual study materials and associated costs?

Thanks all,

Korene

DISCOVER DRIVING
Fully qualified female instructors covering Norfolk
Grade 5 instructor
DIAmond Advanced Special Test

24-06-06 07:24:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Dip DI

#2 24-06-06 08:01:02

Karenadi

Don't know about the actual list of study materials, but I know I spent a mint on books: DIA do a set of study guides, but that's not enough really.  I also bought Blackthornes Road Traffic Manual: a book from DIA on running a smalll business, the Driving Instructors Manual from DIA (loads of info in that).  You also need the manual on self employment from the tax office: explains about VAT and tax issues and all that stuff.

It is hard too: I joined a self study group, and thought I'd take all 5 modules at once: BIG mistake, unless you can really commit hours to a daily study program.  I only passed 2 of them (funny enough the hardest 2: think I put more into them and neglected the others).

Must pick it up again for next year, and take the rest, maybe one at a time now.

Hope that's a bit helpful.

#3 24-06-06 16:57:57

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Karen, that's a big help. I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons. Would like to do it - I do actually enjoy studying (weird I know!) but wonder if now's the right time.....been qualified a year. Reasonably full diary but also have 3 boys so time is limited.

Worried about the cost too.

I read somewhere that from 2006 all 5 modules must be taken during a 3 day period during the same week...?

Thanks again - lots more mulling over to do I think.

DISCOVER DRIVING
Grade 5 instructor

#4 24-06-06 20:21:08

Karenadi

The modules were timetabled across three days this year: last year it was over 2 weeks, but you don't have to do them all in one go: that's what I was saying: I took on too much with work and family committments.  I'll do the ones I dropped down on again, but probably one at a time. 

Try doing one a year: at least you are doing something, and it shouldn't be too tasking then: maybe a couple of hours once or twice a week to study.  Don't forget, if you wanted to continue onto a degree in driver training, it will count as your first year, so you can see how demanding it is.

Call it CPD if you like.

#5 24-06-06 22:46:04

pj
Verified Member

I did mine over a 2 year period, 2 exams in the first and 3 in the second and I coped with this fine, there are some who do all 5 in one go but they must be mad lol, I think the format has changed since I did it so can't tell you the up to date info, but like Karen the books I got were the DIA self-study books, Driving Instructors manual,
law for the small business, The motor car mechanical principles( what a riveting read that is, good for when you have insomnia) lol, Adult Learning,
You can order a sample of the exam papers from previous years so could have a look at what is expected from the DIA , if you enjoy studying then go for it.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#6 25-06-06 06:57:29

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Dont be afraid to do all five in one year, did mine two years ago this way,several others did the same and we all passed.You do need to put in plenty of study though as the others have said,if you cant do this then dont do all at once!

Start now and youll be ready for next year for all five.

Contary to popular belief nothing has changed exam wise. The main thing that has changed is the Dia now oversee the exams at several different venues.Former diploma holders acting as invigulators.
Croyden Birmingham newcastle  sheffield bolton Carlilse etc....

The exams used to be run at local colleges as part of the aqa, but this is no longer the case.
Contact the Dia and they will give you all the advice you need. But i would really start now for all five ready for next year,dont be afraid to do this.

Get the driving instructors manual and the self study books from the dia,although these are getting a bit out of date now.For instance it still says use a warning triangle on the motorway!
Any other literature borrow from the library, get something good on running a small buisness, get the 'fundementals of vehicle technology'.

If you went on to a Ba (hons) degree this would score 50 points towards the degree (360 needed) so it really is a long road! You can earn up to 240 points in this way, A teaching certificate such as 7307 would earn another 60 points. A degree will take about 5 years (I know this cause im just finishing mine and its taken 5 years!)
Next years exams again will run over 3 consecutive days  in MaY 2007 as this year.
START TO STUDY A BIT AT A TIME AND YOU WILL BE READY FOR ALL FIVE NEXT YEAR.

Above all you need real commitment for serious cpd, dont be moaning about long hours working,dealing with the kids all the excuses, weve all got that! You also need a significant cash injection the total to obtain a degree works out at £5000.00 plus. Plus the time involved!

Hope this helps.
Nigel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 25-06-06 10:44:38

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Don't know why - but I contacted someone at DIA about this course, and never heard anything back from them. sad

Sent them emails and all sorts... has anyone else had this problem?

#8 25-06-06 11:11:24

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Yeah I've sent a couple of EMails too - nothing back.

DISCOVER DRIVING
Grade 5 instructor

#9 25-06-06 11:16:31

GreenLight
Verified Member
Website

Hi Korene

Yes, I would endorse all of the above.

In my view, the Dip.DI is well worth achieving.

I could never envisage taking two exams on one day. I know the academics say you shouldn't revise the night before - but I always do!

So for me it was three modules in 2004 and two in 2005.

My colleague, Marconi (all five modules in one year!) is a DIA local rep. I will give him a prod and he will post with the details for 2007.

Good luck!

Larry
www.greenlightdrivingtuition.co.uk

PS I have all my self study books and past papers for sale at half price.
PPS Is that allowed, Moderators?

#10 25-06-06 16:49:05

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your comments - look forward to hearing the details for 2007 Larry - thanks.

DISCOVER DRIVING
Grade 5 instructor

#11 25-06-06 16:59:27

luchell

Green light, yes thats fine. Pop what you have in the adi for sale section and see who snaps them up.

I seriously want to do the diploma then go on to the degree. Purely because i enjoy learning more so much.

#12 25-06-06 21:32:41

Karenadi

Nigel: some can cope with 'everything' as you put it, but kids, long hours and a life also need attention: I would seriously suggest that anyone embarking on this should seriously consider how much time they can reasonably give: it's not a race or a challenge: whether they do one module a year, or all five in one year is a matter for the individual: personally, I found it to be a big mistake: I took on far too much in one go and regret it now.  This year, I couldn't even face opening a book and even trying: I will try to do one module next year.

If others can do them all in one go, then that is great: just don't knock it if we can't all perform to your standard. tongue

#13 26-06-06 06:19:22

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Karen
Not knocking anyone simply saying five in one year is easily achievable, after all two modules- driving theory and skills and teaching practices and procedures shouldnt need much study should they? Were doing these on a daily basis!
The vehicle questions are also very basic and dont need massive study. The two big ones management and legal obligations need the most study. Anybody considering doing the diploma next year should start now and five are achievable.
The advice i got was dont do all five youll never do it. Myself and 3 others that year all did, and i only started studying at christmas. mainly on the two most difficult ones.

So again anyone thinking of next year start now. Remember there is no pass mark this is determined by the overall standard nationwide.You could pass with a low mark in theory.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#14 26-06-06 09:00:18

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I have been duly prodded so here I am.

The 5 modules are achievable in 1 years as was said I did them BUT I would honestly advise not too. It was very hard work and trying to balance this job and the kids and the wife nd the garden...........was really hard.

There are a number of ways to do it.

Buy the self study books from the DIA but read book 6 first the most usefull, get the Driving instructors manual and update service. Then start reading nd making notes. It is possible to obtain the past 7 years exam papers as well wink Only purchase any other books IF you are weak on a subject. For me it was the business side but for many its the motor vehicle mechanical principles.

Another way is by correspondence and Ian Williams does a very good course and I can let any one know his details if they ask.

Then There is Kieghley college but I don't have details.

It can take you towards the degree, and if you write a short essay/dissertation 60 points towards that degree will be awarded. We all have some work accredited points as well because we are Adi's. I am currently doing 7407, what was the old 7307 city and guilds and this is another 60, I am about to start the PGCE(PCE) no degree required if you have 7407 and this will leave you just a few points short of the degree one small project of your choice and you have it. It is possible to do the 7407 and PGCE in less than 3 years at a college and receive funding too.....wahay

The Diploma is well worth it though just for the satisfaction, It  has been done to death what it has achieved for me and the sceptics have chewed me to death over it.

I have never met anyone who has done it and regretted it.

I will find out when the exams are next year. They may be spread over three days again but that does not mean you have to do them all in one hit. I invigilated the exams this year one guy did all 5 but the rest were either completing the ones they did not do last year or are coming back next year to do the others.

There is a pass mark however it is modulated, I don't think that means if everybody did poor they will all pass, after all there will always be some really bright sparks neutral

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#15 26-06-06 13:35:04

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I will also be starting a Diploma soon. Was goint to do it this year but a house move that took a year and a very busy business stopped it.

Thanks for your post marconi this clarifies the materials needed. I have just added up the saving DIA members make on the study pack, Driving Instructors Manual and update service. It comes out as £25.50. I also think members get a discout on exams but stand to be corrected but on average there seems to be a 20% to 30% saving. koabrahams - you could make savings by joining the DIA if cost is a concern.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#16 26-06-06 15:08:47

Karenadi

Can assure you there is no discount on the exams Colin.  And on top of the exam fees, you'll have to pay a fee to the exam centre for an invidulator: infact: I was so shocked at the price of this (£15) per exam, I wanted to know where to apply for a job as one: imagine: 6 people, paying £15 for 2 hours: that is £7.50 per hour x 6 = £45 per hour: think I'm in the wrong job. yikes

#17 26-06-06 15:26:05

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Colin - am already member of DIA.
Thanks for everyones' replies.

DISCOVER DRIVING
Grade 5 instructor

#18 26-06-06 20:33:25

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The exam fee does not go to the invigilator, well certainly not all of it. the exam marking and the exam centre fees need to all be paid too. While I did get paid it was no more than I would have got for my lost lessons. The bonus for me was doing study for my other things while invigilating.

Good point Colin about the DIA discount on books etc.

And then there is always the forum or me for advice on questions

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#19 26-06-06 20:39:41

Force
Verified Member

big_smile wink

#20 05-07-06 20:12:57

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The Dipploma exams will be held on the 8th 9th and 10th of May next year

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#21 05-07-06 22:03:31

koabrahams
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Marconi.... applications still need to be submitted by Feb?

Also, do you need to state in Feb which modules you plan to take in May? Guess you do...?

DISCOVER DRIVING
Grade 5 instructor

#22 08-07-06 21:22:18

Airmiles

And don't zink any of you lot will get any favours from the invigilators just cos you are members of zeez forums, cos you won't, not from me or any of zee uzzers  :evil:  :evil: :evil:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#23 09-07-06 09:32:22

Karenadi

The exam fee does not go to the invigilator, well certainly not all of it. the exam marking and the exam centre fees need to all be paid too.

If you look again, I said the invigilator fees are ON TOP of the exam fees.  So you are paying about £50 per exam, PLUS £15 per exam for an invigilator.  It isn't a cheap game, especially if you are taking a risk by doing too much at once, and will end up doing it again.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#24 09-07-06 09:36:19

Karenadi

And don't zink any of you lot will get any favours from the invigilators just cos you are members of zeez forums, cos you won't, not from me or any of zee uzzers  :evil:  :evil: :evil:

You are funny.  We studied as a group, then took the exams together.  The invigilator was just a young college lecturer: didn't even know how to drive, and appeared very inexperienced.  (nice lad though): anyway, when we got there, we said to him: 

'ok if we carry on as normal, then: put the tables together and discuss the answers?' 

You should of seen his face: was  a picture.  He thought we meant it. :evil:

#25 09-07-06 18:49:54

pj
Verified Member

You weren't the invigilator at the exam I was at where he gave extra time to the idiots who forgot to read the question on the back page then  roll lol (myself not being one of them , i read the bit that said PTO big_smile)

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Board footer