You are not logged in.

#1 23-06-06 21:00:39

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

New Police clamp down on 'White Van man'

This morning, BBC Scotland carried a story about a new Scottish Police clamp down on 'White van Man' speeding, tailgaiting, using mobile phones, carrying unsecured passengers in the back etc etc...

In the news item, a clip showed a number of white vans being driven about in a city centre.  One van which is clearly identifiable, is seen being driven in heavy traffic.  The driver is talking on his mobile phone, this is bad enough, but when he sees the camera, he has the arrogance to remove his other hand from the wheel amd make a long sarcastic wave.  As the driver passes the camera, it is still being driven with no hands on the wheel.

I was very angry when I saw this and wondered if anyone would do anything about this man and his arrogance.  The newsreader made no direct mention of the driver.

For the first time in my life, I have made a formal complaint to Strathclyde Police and have asked them to investigate the matter.  They have replied by email to say that they have received my complaint and it has been passed on to the appropriate department.  So it's a case of 'Watch this space' !!!.

Does anyone think I have gone over the score and I'm just a busybody ?  I think I am now and official 'Grumpy Old Man'.

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

23-06-06 21:00:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New Police clamp down on 'White Van man'

#2 23-06-06 21:12:25

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

In adding... Earlier this week, I was talking a pupil through the procedure at a roundabout.  As we arrived at the give-way line, a private taxi had entered the roundabout from the road ahead and was turning right without signal.  I was angry to see that the driver was using his right hand to hold his mobile to his ear.  But we sat in amazement as we watched the driver continue to go around the roundabout without signal.  On his third lap of the roundabout I leant over and blasted our horn at him (Indication of our presence - of course) but the driver responded by giving me the middle finger with his left hand before exiting and disappearing over the horizon.
My pupil could not believe what she had just seen.  In hindsight, I should have perhaps reported him rather than the guy on telly but you feel that the Police have better things to do than run after reports of drivers using their phone.
I feel the situation is getting a lot worse.  Last week, in my own car I passed a guy on the motorway talking on his phone and he had some kind of business report laid over his steering wheel which he was obviously discussing.  He was doing 65mph !!!.  He later passed me on the motorway having finished his business call. Speed 100mph !!!.  I suppose it was nice of him to slow down to take his call  neutral

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 23-06-06 21:17:51

la.monikita
Verified Member

i think you are right to report him yikes, it's about time something is done about all the Muppets :evil:

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#4 24-06-06 06:39:00

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ian
I think when the new road safety bill goes through and penalty points come in it will make a difference.
If the law is enforced with penalty points and a fine these idiots may stop using there phones.Until then people are just taking the p**s

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#5 24-06-06 08:08:43

Karenadi

Well I just think you are a meddling busy body. lol lol lol lol lol

How on earth can we expect correct manners and procedure from our learners if that is all they see: you are dead right: wish they'd bring back the old fashioned traffic department with the big Volvo's stopping cars left right and centre: !!!!!!!! nuisances causing havock everywhere.

We were turning right on a busy set of traffic lights yesterday: waiting nicely in the middle: our gap came, and as we moved into it, a blasted private hire came hairing past us on the right, blocked our exit road: because some pedestrian lights just after had gone to red and caused little queue: we were stuck right in front of on coming traffic just as their lights changed: total idiot.  Could only praise my young driver for seeing him coming in his door mirror just as he went to move.

#6 24-06-06 21:24:18

Van Man
Verified Member

agree with you all on this one.  yikes I can not believe  what I see every day yikes. It would be great to see  traffic cops back on the case. Speed cameras cant detect bad driving and phone abuse :x I probably get a better view from my cab. But perhaps I see too much some times.

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

Board footer