You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 10-02-06 13:30:36

AlphaBob
Verified Member

New Renault Clio

The lease runs out on my car soon and I am looking at various options.  Has anyone tried the new Renault Clio or does anyone use this as an instructors car?  If you have would appreciate your views good or bad.......

Thanks

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

10-02-06 13:30:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New Renault Clio

#2 10-02-06 14:00:42

Jeff1
Verified Member

Hi,

My daughter got the new clio and is very please with it. I recently bought one of the old ones which I have found excellent for tuition.
The only problem I can see with the new clio is the visibilty through the rear windscreen for maneuvers.
This is a problem with most modern cars.

#3 10-02-06 16:46:20

ShaunL
Verified Member

Getting mine next month.

was going to get bigger car but tried one and leg room for driver is great, lot better than old one. I'm getting 5 door as gives better view for l/r and going for the diesel for fuel economy.

Dealer had a diesel 3 door when i tried as 5 door not available at time, impressed on test drive only time will tell if i like it!!

Shaun

#4 10-02-06 22:28:01

arib
Verified Member
Website

Can't comment on the new model but like Jeff1 i also have the old model. 1.5 Dci is excellent on fuel. Between 490 and 510 miles on a full tank. As for cars having high back windows, yes I agree, this was one of the reasons I have used Clio's, there rear window is big. Great obs through back window, no black bonding strip in view and no head restraints that stick up and obscure vision. Clutch is heavier than other cars and biting point is very high, turning circle is bigger than most small cars but pupils won't realise that.
As yet I haven't seen the new model used for instruction.

arib

#5 26-03-06 13:25:37

luchell

My brother found me a 2002 1.5 65 Diesel clio. Excellent little car, i love the way it handles and i find it extremely comfortable for my back. I found my Bsm corsas useless for my back felt like i had no support all day and was really hurting at the end of the day. With my clio this is a thing of the past lol

Lots of room for my legs in the footwell which is lovely. My partner is over 6ft 6 and he finds driving and being a passenger comfy.

My clio fits everyone from under 5 ft to over 6 ft 6 with no problems, the seat moves well forward and back steering wheel is adjustable and the height of the seat so its all good there.

Quite a heavy clutch with is apparently normal on clios especially diesels. I thought this might be a problem but actually i have found it increases the pupils clutch control and they seem more likely to hold their foot still whilst moving off and not letting the clutch 'snap up' too quickly. So again plus point there. Not sure about changing the bulbs as i haven't had to yet.

Visibility is the best i have seen. I used to have a peugeot 106 and i thought with newer cars i would never find a car that was as easy to manoeuvre from a visibility point of view. I was wrong the clio is equal or improved. Totally superb.

Down side well its reliability has been a problem since i got it in november. My brother bless him got 1500 off the price as he bought it trade. woujld have been great if i had a warranty  roll Neither Renault or my local mechanic can find the cause of my starting problems even though ive had quite a few parts replaced that have 'gone'.

Excellent on fuel i get between 4 to 5 hundred miles out of a tank which i find superb.

My local renault dealer have been really good. Very efficient service so no complaints there.

all in all i totally love the car, shame it doesn't like starting sometimes but apart from that im very fond of it as are my pupils. I also think it's a nice looking car. I have the expression plus, air con front fog lights Pas, Abs electric windows and mirrors plus central locking. Front airbags and side airbags. 

#6 26-03-06 13:43:43

evan

A couple of the instructors around here have the clios and swear by them, same comments as you with regards to fuel consumption. My daughter has one as well and she loves it. Any ideas what the new ones are like as they look quite a nice car as well. Ev

#7 26-03-06 13:57:05

sparkle

I have an automatic petrol Clio 1.4 16v 2003 privelledge model with air-con & electrics/alloys.

Good bits> big_smile

Ive changed the bulbs front & back VERY easy big_smile so thats good! big_smile

Looks 'cool' as the younger ones say big_smile

Visabiltiy is GOOD..however from an instructors point of view..the front windscreen is very LOW...not liking that.

Controls laid out nicely for driver & passengers.

Bad bits> :x

Transmission shifting is laboured (well i think so) learners wont notice.

NEVER starts first time on a cold morning (BIG downside)

Power steering packs up after about 5 turn in the roads on the trott (NEVER had this with any other car!)

Enormous turning circle..again, learners wont know any different, but going from a Micra that would turn on a six pence...this is the pits.

NO cubby holes or anything! TINY glvoe box which is made for just that-gloves.

I gather the new Clio is totally improved...i really hope so lol lol

#8 26-03-06 13:57:17

markA.d.I

They do like nice, but a fair bit larger !

My local dealer was rubbish when i had my megane (shake that ass!), all the local Adi's warned me off them, the cars where spot on and i loved the brand ..... but my next local dealer was about 30-40 miles away !

#9 26-03-06 14:17:11

AlphaBob
Verified Member

I also run a 1.5 diesel clio expression which is on lease from Robinsons. The car is only 7 months old and so far has been totally reliable. Like Luchell I really appreciate the excellent fuel consumption. The pupils like the car and all round visibility is good. The only niggle I have is that the sun roof creaks. Don't know what I will do when the lease runs out. May buy, but not sure which car?  Recently I went to the Renault dealer and looked at the new shape Clio. Although I didn't drive it I sat in both driver and passenger seats and first impressions are that it is slightly bigger inside. More shoulder room and also legroom, I am 6'1'' so perhaps thats something I notice. As a car it looks good so may consider it as one of my options when the current lease runs out.

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#10 26-03-06 14:18:00

markA.d.I

Alphabob, dito with the sunroof !

Use to drive me mad !

#11 26-03-06 14:22:06

sparkle

My sunroof is ok as it goes yikes (but ive never opened it nor will i be) still hate the thing.

#12 26-03-06 14:55:14

msdarcy721

just taken mine into garage. gona have its first MOT tomorrow and hopefully, the nice people at renault will take a look at my squeek. luckily i heard it just as we pulled into the garage. seem friendly enough in there, but was determined not to have a look round, cos i know i'd be tempted to have look at new clio  :evil:  tongue

had to have it in garage about two weeks after collecting it (brand new) after discovering leak in the back, round the window, and whilst it was in, they accidentally scratched some of the paint work off. were very generous, and gave us some vouchers to use on servicing and purchasing things for it at the time. sunroof squeaks now and again   roll too but aint too bothered now. hoping to change it for fiesta, (yaris, tho seem quite pricey), may be the ford ka. love the older shape seat leon, and alfa 147 - tho aint in price range at the mo anyway, esp with cost of insurance on top of purchase  neutral

#13 27-03-06 12:08:40

arib
Verified Member
Website

I'm now onto my second Clio. Changed from 1.2 petrol to 1.5 diesel. Can't complain with anything really. Will go along with all the plus points that others have mentioned. Will disagree with the ease of changing a headlight bulb. With the size of my hands it was impossible, as the blood and scratches proved. Very difficult to get hand in past the air-con pipes to remove the rubber cover. Then with that removed it was impossible to turn the bulb to remove it.
Agree with the power steering tightening up when doing TIR but a quick drive around the block sorts it.
For those with a squeaky sun roof. Pop it into the dealers and get the sealing rubber changed if under warranty. This solved mine. Apparently its because they tend to go a bit hard with time.

arib

#14 18-06-06 14:26:32

jonks

Renault Clio

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#15 18-06-06 14:41:58

luchell

Oh and here lol

Oh dear, well we mostly know of my nightmares with my Clio. NEVER  again although mine was a 2002 model. TOTALLY and UTTERLY unreliable to a point where the car wouldn't function. Ridiculous and reknown for the problems i had after surfing the net and coming into contact with 100's and thousands of people with similar problems to mine that no one could solve  roll

However, great visibility sort of easy to drive but it surges like mad at slow speeds in 2nd gear, the diesel version. Got to get the clutch down quick or the car shoots where you don't want it to go. Not the most interesting interior although the steering wheel and seat were fully adjustable. more modern versions of the same shape were nicer looking inside. Everything seemed a little far from reach for some reason. Gear stick especially. (and the radio!!)

All in all ok but the dealers were rubbish considering how many people had my problems they denied all knowledge and just kept charing me a fortune. So ok car you can get a bad car i suppose in any model. It was a shame as it virtually ruined me had it have been reliable it would have been ok.

#16 18-06-06 16:19:14

sparkle

Automatic-2003-priveledge-5 dr 1.4 16v

Used as a tuition vehicle for 9 months so far.

Reliabilty-Superb. Not fallen ill YET...although hear many horror stories about the Clio in general.

Visability i think is poor. TOO many blindspots on the Clio, mainly front end pillars..VERY  wide. VERY small back window.

Superb for manouveres.

Turning circle is HUGE! im used to turning cars around on a 5 pence piece...this is nothing like that....very wide sad.

Eats lots of petrol (but then typical for an automatic.

Labours when changing from gear to gear, slightly irritating..but warms up the more its driven.

My rating- 6/10 for a tuition car neutral. 9/10 for normal use. big_smile

#17 22-06-06 20:47:20

Dom
Verified Member
Website

Renault Clio 1.2 expression petrol 03

had car for 3 years and have loved it most of the time
only had a few problems last year electrical problems - dealer was really good ,always got it in to fix it quick, problem kept reoccurring though once part was changed after 3/4 visits no problems since.
all pupils seem to like it never any problems with manoeuvres
clutch seems quite heavy compared to other cars but pupils who haven't driven another car don't know any different
personally i don't like the height adjustment on drivers seat
will be changing for the new shape Clio in July

#18 22-06-06 20:51:53

msdarcy721

snap.

same model, same reg plate.

not an ADI, so don't use it as an instruction vehicle.

but gosh, dunno whether i could.

in out of garage a fair few times, with, as you say, reoccuring problems. most notably to date, a squeaking sound coming from the steering.

nah don't like it really.

but don't listen to me. no ADI i'm afraid big_smile

#19 22-06-06 22:12:06

catman
Verified Member

Hi

I'm on my 3rd Clio - this one is the new shape and (so far) all three have been wonderfully trouble free and easy for pupils to use.

The latest incarnation has a couple of querky bits to get used to.
First is the locking system.  On the previous model all the doors unlocked as soon as a door was opened on the inside.  On this one, you open the driver's door and saunter round to the passenger side only to find you're locked out!  You need to remember to press the unlocking button on the dash before you get out.  You soon remember to do this as you look a bit naff wandering back and forth!!!

The second oddity is the side lights.  If you stop the engine with the sidelights on and you don't physically switch them off, they stay on - until you open the driver's door - then they go off.  So if you go to your local shop and need to park with lights on, you have to switch them off then on again before you exit the car.  Weird.

I'd have another any day.

catman

Please use Everyclick.com as your regular search engine to help raise funds for the cat charity Haworth Animal Welfare.

#20 23-06-06 15:40:01

ShaunL
Verified Member

On my second, great car

Clio number 1 - 1.2 16v expression
This did 71,000 in 2 years had routine servicing one set brake pads never let me down

Clio number 2 new shape - 1.5dci expression had it 3 months no problems at all

all the pupils love the car seems they like the new one even better, easier for height adjustment on seat and clutch a lot lighter

Liked the old car love the new one

Shaun

#21 29-06-06 13:42:58

Target
Verified Member
Website

RENAULT CLIO 1.5 cDi Privilege 2006 - On contract hire from Renault Enfield

Diesel.........Magifico......Went to Cornwall at the weekend and topped 60+mpg got just over 700miles out of a tank of fuel, and for a small car its not small on the fuel tank. I believe 55 litres.

On lessons I'm touching on average between 45-50mpg which has halfed my fuel costs. I spoke to someone running a T.Yaris petrol getting about 33mpg. This also drives like a pocket rocket with 86horses (???).

Visibility in the rear view is poor, but the size on the new model is manageble. i.e not to small, its roomy in the passenger seat. Rear seat pockets are small, but i like the dropped boot, it saves shopping moving around. Have a full size spare wheel also.

Seats could do with more support, not a sports version. Steering is really light a low speeds.

Stereo is not the best and i have height adjustable driver and passenger seat. Also little cupboards under each seat for little things. Pupils can put their mobile, files, keys etc out the way.

All in all the drive is solid, like the design, like the handling and the Renault serice centre know how to look after customers.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#22 29-06-06 19:40:32

johnp
Verified Member

"someone running a T.Yaris petrol getting about 33mpg."

Something wrong there. I get 45 from the 1300 VVT.
Even the Verso T/c auto gives 38+

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#23 26-07-06 00:35:59

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

new clio. have the dynamique s (bought the demo model - 3.5g off list) ok bit of a bargain but heavy on juice. as to the car its fabulous! i love it, other half nicks it, my pupils love it. plus points v.easy to drive, gr8 on man's, very flexible engine, comfortable ride, comfortable for me  big_smile,steering v.light but still "feely" brings in business! super heating sys for colder times, great dimisting too - climate controls the biz.
     downsides - i have driven cars with "better" rear visability, in this hot weather the aircons "a lot" louder than the engine which can cause difficulties, even with the aircon off i get "oh i've stalled" "no you havent " lol, bit heavy on the juice. i drove the deisel - didnt like it? one gear lower all the time and surged? as did the 206. not the tightest turning circle in the world and space-saver tyre  sad
       as for the "french quirky side" of the car - the auto winscreen washers are a bit hit and miss and DO i really need my lights to come on every time i go under an underpass? (turned em off)  :? adding to the locking situation already mentioned - keyless ignition sorts that big_smile but why cant you wind the left window up with the engine off ? doh
. . . so the 64k question is would you buy another? well so far so good ? so yes its a great car1 ask me again in a year lol regards keith

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#24 28-07-06 18:30:48

kesa12
Verified Member

I had a Clio 2001 it had done 97,000 miles ex instructor car, had probs from day one. I'd start the engine and it would sound as tho it was about to cut out!!! next, back brake pad fell off and I couldn't go forward or back cos it felt as tho  the hand brake was on!!

Next the car would lose power completely on dual c/ways  or high speed roads always seemed to be over 60mph, the light with the coil on it  would come on and I would have no power but the car would still be ticking over, I'd have to just roll to a stop wherever I could, I'd switch the engine off and back on again and everything would be OK!! this went on for a while.

Then one day couldn't start it, got AA out was told it was the fuel pump took it to Renault dealer they striped the motor armature down replaced it changed spark plugs etc... £250 later, then a day later wouldn't start, got AA again got towed to Renault, has new fuel pump another £260 later still had the problem took it back put on comp gave some codes out said it was the throttle body fault and the fly wheel sensor had the later done £35 that sorted the starting problem out but to have the former done it would take around £400-500 to get fixed they said they weren't sure if it was that problem!! this is the makers of the car!! took it to several mechanics one put on their comp with the same reading then the other put it on his comp and it gave out different codes!! I just hadn't the money to spend getting it fixed just to find its not corrected the problem.

Nobody could give me an accurate diagnosis not even the dealers!! amongst all this the water pump had gone and needed the cambelt done too. so the end result was that I part exchanged it. good riddance!!!

If anyone has had the same problem and has had their's fixed do let me know, cause i would love to know!

Thanks

P.S this all happened within 7 months believe it or not!!! :x

#25 23-08-06 20:38:26

Angel
Verified Member
Website

I have had my Clio for a year now, old style and the pupils love it, very easy to drive, they prefer it to their own cars. The only faults i have is that my sunroof creaks- sounds like Chinese water torture after a long day and the lights are easy to turn on (and more scarily off) when using the indicators.

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

Board footer