You are not logged in.

#1 16-03-04 17:11:02

jonks

Test nerves

Having watched my girlfriend go through 5 tests before passing, I know that nerves can play a big role in whether or not someone performs well enough for a pass on their test.

What advice would you give a learner who is having trouble keeping calm before a test?

Are there any techniques?

I suppose my usual technique, Dutch courage is completely out of the question  smile

16-03-04 17:11:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Test nerves

#2 16-03-04 18:57:14

awaddington

Hi,

I could do with advice on this one as well!

My instructor is confident my actual driving is good enough, but is a bit concerned that I might fail for hesitancy.  (It doesn't help that I'm a fairly timid driver ...)

Can anyone help?  I've applied for a Saturday test, which costs nearly 50 pounds ( :shock: ), so I'd be gutted if I were to fail it! :cry:

Thanks,

Alison.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 16-03-04 19:37:18

Liesa

Ok here goes!

Jonks wrote

I suppose my usual technique, Dutch courage is completely out of the question

Definately, but you'd be suprised how many mention this method, even if it is in jest.

I personally was extremely nervous as a learner, and know only too well what affect test nerves can have on you.

The best advise anyone can give you, is to treat the test as a normal lesson. Don't sit there wondering whether or not you've done something wrong, if you've made a mistake it might seem like a major bo-bo in your eyes, but it's most likely something very trivial, and whilst you're worrying about it, things will then start to snowball out of control.

Alison wrote

My instructor is confident my actual driving is good enough, but is a bit concerned that I might fail for hesitancy. (It doesn't help that I'm a fairly timid driver ...)

Now that's another subject I know about first hand. Make sure that you're ready to go, so that when your gap appears you can go for it. Whilst sitting waiting for a gap, watch the traffic from all directions and try and work out when you'll be able to go.

I hope this helps Alison and good luck with your test.

#4 16-03-04 23:21:57

Badger

Alison

Hesitancy usually stems from a lack of confidence in ones ability to move away sharply enough.

Whilst waiting for a gap in traffic as Liesa says, take up the slack in the clutch and keep the pedal just below the bite.

When the vehicle leading the gap is in front of you, a little more gas, slowly raise the clutch that fraction needed to get moving, hand brake off if applied and youre away.

Same thing at the lights.  As soon as you arrive prepare for the move off.

Hope that helps

BAdger

#5 16-03-04 23:45:41

Bob_FOADS

Dead easy this one,
Don't be nervous!
Simple ain't it smile

Ahh... simple to say, maybe not so easy to do.

I've never found an easy soloution to this one that works for everyone however...

1. Don't tell anyone you have you test (except your instructor of course) may help as nobody will ask how you did afterwards and you can surprise them all by driving on your own when you pass.

2. Remember, if you happen not to pass, all you need to do is re-apply and try again. No great deal is it? Yea, there's some cost involved but not that much more than a normal 2 hour lesson AND you get a second opinion on your current driving standard, must be a good thing.

3. Don't plan anything for after your test except to go to the pub and get plastered! Might be to drown your sorrows but most likly to celibrate! (with this option no driving permitted after the test though)
as a side note, I personaly do not advocate drinking and definatly not drink driving but we're all adults and make our own decisions

Some or all of these MAY assist but above all remember it's just a test. The examiner want's you to pass with 0 marks as each mark they put down they have to explain on paper later in their office and we all hate paperwork. (obviously they also have to be honest as it may be them that a poor driver runs into the next day)

#6 17-03-04 00:21:23

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I take a few of my pupils to meet everyone at the test centre, if your instructor calls and ask before hand they don't mind, some times we even get a cupa whilst there.

Do a couple of mock test with another instructor, this may help.

Don't think of it as a test, but as you showing how well you drive.

to break the ice you could all ways ask the examiner on the way to the car 'How are you today-nervous' big_smile

#7 17-03-04 00:31:44

jonks

Approved Instructor

I'm trying to message you.

I'm trying to test the chat room, please if possible, go to the caht room so that I can test it.

#8 17-03-04 08:21:17

Liesa

Hi all

As Bob says most indivduals, find it better not to tell anyone, when their test is, I know it worked for me! However I have taught a few that found, talking to friends and relatives helped more. So it's each to their own on this one.

Just remember that we've all been there, even the examiners have taken driving tests, and fully understand what you're going through. At the end of the day they just want to see how you drive, and that you're safe on the road. Just believe your instructor when they tell you, your driving is good enough, drive how you normally do on the day, the last thing anyone should do is try and put an act on!

#9 17-03-04 08:59:12

adi
Verified Member
Website

Just accept being 'nervous' is normal. There is no magic potion you can take to get rid of it, it is just there. I remember my last check test, i was nearly sick on the morning and i am sure i will feel the same next time too! I don't know why, i am competent and have nothing to hide but hey, human nature kicks in and those butterflies are there. It's just a case of accepting it and getting on with it. I am sure if i moved on and took another test like HGV i would get nervous, but if i was ready and competent i would get through it. If not, you have another stab at it. As long as your truly ready, first time is possible!

#10 17-03-04 12:51:09

awaddington

Wow! LOADS of helpful advice!!

Thanks, everyone! big_smile

Alison.

#11 17-03-04 18:32:21

Liesa

Your welcome Alison

Anything else we can help you with?

#12 17-03-04 21:51:57

awaddington

Cheers, Liesa.  And just let me think ... wink

#13 18-03-04 22:25:02

johnabacus
Verified Member
Website

I have the answer to Nerves on Test, and I've seen it work at first hand. It's called HYPNOTHERAPY. Book a session with a local Hypnotherapist. It takes about an hour and will cost approx £30-£40. It won't stop you from making mistakes so you still have to be thoroughly prepared, BUT if you do fail it won't be because of Nerves.

My wife is a Hypnotherapist and has 100% success with curing Nerves.

John

#14 19-03-04 13:21:45

Liesa

Hi John

Thanks for the advice.

You say you've experienced it 1st hand, does that mean you had to resort to it yourself?

#15 21-03-04 00:01:47

vince

Hi All,
      I think the advice you're giving is great, and I particularly like the way you keep emphasizing that these individual methods do not suit everyone! 27 years ago sitting my driving test was the most terrifying thing I had ever done, ( despite having loads of experience working at our local garage, and being constantlly reassured by my instructor of my readyness). Then, after years of driving everything from Sinclair C5's to buses, I decided that to improve my quality of life and become an ADI, the nerves came back with a vengance! I could do the job no problem, but as soon as I walked into the test centre I became a jelly, failed pt2 4 times, and every time I new exactly what I was doing wrong as I was doing it? pt3 I tought perfectly for weeks more than I needed, got to the centre on the first attempt and suddenly began talking in gibberish and I new I was doing it! The help and support I recieved from my trainer, and, in the later stages, a quartet of ADI's in Leicester kept me focused and I qualified on the second attempt. I took my first pupil last week and again the nerves kicked in (though I don't think he realised).
        I think what I'm trying to say in my usual long winded way, is that nerves are something most of us have to some degree, if you want it, are properly trained and have the right support you WILL do it, your instructors will not put you in for your test if they don't believe in you, BELIEVE in yourself, you CAN do it .
         apologies for waffling on, take care out there,.Vince wink

#16 21-03-04 07:41:17

Liesa

Hi Vince

There's no need to appologise for waffeling on, the advise you're giving is very good!

Please feel free to waffle as much as you like! big_smile

Why not drop into the Please say Hello board?

Board footer