You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 07-11-04 21:21:36

crr003

Re: IAM versus ADI

lee wrote:

so you there is no money involved at any point. and whats wrong with becoming a adi to teach so called advanced driving

Because it's very hard to become an ADI!   yikes (I've got the books/videos!)

How much of your income comes from teaching "advanced driving"?  (Sorry, a personal question; don't answer that!)

My point is ADIs are busy enough teaching beginners.  I think it's good that IAM and RoADA members want to spend their time trying to make the roads safer by passing on a few tips - and it's not rocket science, just trying to add "polish and sparkle".

As far as I can see, the only differences between DSA driving and IAM/RoADA driving are:

1.  Positioning for left hand bends.
2.  Line through empty roundabouts and open (good visibility) bends.
3.  Signalling (too much/not enough).

Driving -the essential skills, even has block gear changing and not using gears to slow down!

I know there is an argument that IAM/RoADA observers are taking away income from ADIs.  I really can't see that as a valid argument.  It's hard enough to get people to sign up for IAM now - if they had to pay £20-25/hour to an ADI, why would they?

And finally, I've had the pleasure to meet some great ADIs at IAM meetings - they observe too! 

Roger

07-11-04 21:21:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 07-11-04 21:55:44

Anonymous

well as for taking work from the pros we im not worried about that and in a perfect worl we should all be adis when it comes to driver education

#28 07-11-04 21:58:47

Stephen7738

Lee,the highest certificate of driving instruction is the Home Office one get one of them and you can teach anything.
                                        Stephen

#29 07-11-04 22:05:51

Anonymous

mmm im lost on that one to teach for reward you have to be a adi thats the law and no one is above the law

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 07-11-04 22:31:21

crr003

Apparently I need to clarify my earlier email.

I am aware of two scenes in the RC video that "go against" what is written in the RC book.

My email was meant possibly to start a conversation on these differences, but unfortunately wasn't taken that way.

Apologies to the offended party.

Roger

crr003 wrote:
Gizmotime wrote:

#snip#

I would advice that others try and get hold of the Roadcraft Video it does explain a lot of what we are talking about on this forum.

#snip#

Regards Giz wink

Last time I looked there were two errors...........maybe three  :shock:

Small, but interesting!

Roger

#31 07-11-04 22:44:29

Stephen7738

Lee,
       All police driving instructor's pass through Cardington once finished there they go to home office training to attain the training to teach Advanced hence have the approval of the Home Office to be allowed to train on public roads and legally break the law ie exemption under the road traffic act.
                                                                           Stephen

#32 07-11-04 22:48:39

Anonymous

sorry you are wrong police dont train members of the public to drive cars and pass a driving test for money . when they come out of the force they have to be adis to teach for reward.

#33 07-11-04 23:10:34

Stephen7738

Never said they did I was refering to police as we train on road's used by the public.
Stephen

#34 07-11-04 23:14:28

Gizmotime
Administrator

lee wrote:

so you there is no money involved at any point. and whats wrong with becoming a adi to teach so called advanced driving

Lee have you done Advanced Driving?

and I will corect you on this point, Observers do not teach we only offer guidence (if you didn't mean observers then I apologise in advance)

#35 08-11-04 00:03:30

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

I teach learner drivers to Lee (for which i get payed) but i (as Gizmotime said ) offer guidance to people who want to take driving a step further, for this i do not get payed. It is my time mostly on a weekend, not the driving schools.

#36 08-11-04 22:41:52

Anonymous

how can they pass a advanced driving test if no one has taught them?

#37 13-11-04 23:39:33

drivetime
Verified Member
Website

Lee
    They can and will pass, because they are offered guidance. Ok maybe different in your mind as to what teaching and guidance are. If you have done it fine, if not how can you know the difference.

#38 14-11-04 08:36:01

Gizmotime
Administrator

Lee just to explain a little better.
The Senior Observers were taught by an Advanced Police Driving Examiner either serving or retired examiner,then in turn the Senior Observers taught (for want of a better word) or offered guidance to the other's who did the Advanced test and wanted to become Observers.
We ALL had the advanced test conducted by either a Serving Police advanced driving examiner or a retired one.
I do hope this has cleared things up for you a little better.

#39 14-11-04 08:46:03

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I am going to hate myself for this but here goes... I have to agree with Lee.

And I CAN know the difference as I have done ADI and I am doing IAM.

I had my first observered drive and the lady who sat beside be gave me directions (badly I might add) and during the drive used Q&A techniques to assess my knowledge, she also chipped in a couple of corrections when I did something 'wrong' (in IAM terms) - mostly signaling at junctions when nobody was around.

How is the above description different from what we do as ADIs when with a new pupil who is close to test standard?

Do not get me wrong - I beleive the IAM are within the law because my observer was not paid. The money I paid was for membership and a book, the amount paid would be far to low for anyone to claim it was for tuition fees.

To claim you are not teaching is false and unnecessary. Why not take pride in the fact that you are able to teach drivers to become better drivers and are able to do it with volunteers.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#40 14-11-04 13:46:36

Stephen7738

Mr.Bassman. Sometimes the coordinators when matching observer with associate,don't always take into account the experience that both partie's have ie,ADI driving new observer in passenger seat. Now im not saying this is what happened on your occassion,but I would have thought they would have gave you the more experienced if not senior observer,so that you can get the best GUIDANCE for you,if this would have happened then this criticismwhich you show might not have happened you might have  have had been praise or no post at all if you get my meaning. Im sure as your runs progress as iv'e said before there is varying degrees in observers experience,hopefully if you point this out to the coordinator then this should eleviate this problem,keep it up and good luck after all we are all hopefully pointing in the right direction.
                                 Stephen

Board footer