You are not logged in.

#1 06-06-06 22:16:35

sgb_sailor
Verified Member

Which company to use for trainee license?

Hi all,

This board looks to be most helpful with all PDI queries, it's such a great source!

Tomorrow I finish my 40 hours module 3 training with The Instructor College (ending on a mock test - yippee!!). Anyway, I really want to go on a trainee license but my biggest problem is finances. Now, I completely understand a trainee license is for experience and not money, and that's how I'll treat it. But I don't earn much as it is to pay the rent etc and by cutting down my hours with my current job could be slitting my own throat.
So my question is this... who would be the best company to join FINANCIALLY for someone in my position to train with until I pass the final exam and why? I am based in the Epsom and Kingston area in Surrey.
Does anyone have any feedback or advice on this? It would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Simon

06-06-06 22:16:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Which company to use for trainee license?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-06-06 22:36:29

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Will the people that you're training with not allow you to go part time and say work in the evenings or even at week ends. You could set your own working hours to suit yourself.

Just a thought.

kjs

#3 07-06-06 12:57:36

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

If you have a local multi car school ask them if they will sponsor you, if they can get you say 10 hours a week that will be about right.

From my experience BSM will fall over themselves to get another car on the road and possibly bury you in work in order for you to afford the franchise fee.

Good plan to ask on here, stand by for some sound advice..............

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 07-06-06 23:46:13

sipin
Verified Member

Looking for a good school to train with is rather like shopping for car insurance, many different companies many different quotes. Like CarlatPUK said:

If you have a local multi car school ask them if they will sponsor you, if they can get you say 10 hours a week that will be about right.

At the TIC on your last day TIC usually arrange to get a Red driving school area manager in the classroom to encourage you to get your pink with them, At only £250 per week so just to pay the francise you would have to work over 25 hours plus fuel

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#5 08-06-06 13:39:16

Jellybean
Verified Member

Make sure you get the original copy of your ADI 21T.  It is yours not theres to keep until you tell them what you are doing. 

Part of there deal is to make sure you have someone to work for at the end of it.  The only people that have contacted me since finishing my part 3 six weeks ago with TIC is BSM.  I went for the interview but I have more sense than money fortunately.  I start in 2 weeks with a local trainer that someone on here reccomended and I will have extra as well.  Because no way would I be capable of teaching a frog to drive never mind anyone else. :evil:

Jellybean big_smile

#6 08-06-06 15:00:43

sw
Verified Member

Agree with what sipin says, but at £250 a week it's a lot of money its about 12 hours a week plus petrol, which is ok if they give you pupils. They're always advertising for new instructors but they dont seem to have the work. They're popular in certain areas and not known in others, particularly areas that have lots of money and lots of ADIs who have been there for years. Often people will pay for an instructor with a good reputation as opposed to whoever is the cheapest and so it's difficult to get work.

Keep an open mind about the 'support' any school will give you. Forget the bits about 'pupils have an 0800 number to call for lessons, you get a new car every 12 years'.....who cares, that wont help you pass the part 3.

Whichever school you talk to, support is the main thing. If they say we'll give you extra training, how much will they give you and how far ahead is it being booked? Also, if your first impression of the person representing the school isnt a particularly good one, then walk away. It can give you an idea what they may be like later on when you need their help. I met one who didnt even shake my hand or give eye contact, when I stood up he said 'right lets get on with it then shall we'. Nice to meet you too, what a nice firm handshake youve got!  Met someone who's with the school recently, he's had problems and the guy doesnt want to know. Body language tells you a lot.

#7 08-06-06 16:02:28

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

TIC gaurentee a placement upon qualification, I think thats still the case, correct me if Im wrong?

Anyone else know how they can do this..................???

#8 08-06-06 16:23:41

sw
Verified Member

As far as I know they do, it used to be get an offer or your money back.  I guess they own a driving school so that they can then offer a place and then dont have to refund anything.

#9 08-06-06 21:55:22

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Nearly there..............any more ideas??

#10 08-06-06 22:28:02

Jellybean
Verified Member

Yes they still guarantee a placement they pass your name to BSM.  That is the only contact I have had and as I didn't want to know and found my own they are off the hook.  But legally I suppose they have fulfilled the contract? :evil:

Jellybean big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 09-06-06 05:49:54

pj
Verified Member

TIC gaurentee a placement upon qualification, I think thats still the case, correct me if Im wrong?

Anyone else know how they can do this..................???

They own RED driving school so of course they can guarantee a placemement although at £250 pw you'd be crazy to sign with them,..... sori pdi whoosh lol

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#12 09-06-06 08:34:31

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

It could have changed but I somehow doubt it, I could have taken on one of thier clients but for a price!!!! so in other words they could be passing on your contact info to third parties like BSM, AA and taking a fee. Good innit?

#13 09-06-06 10:04:04

Macca
Verified Member

I cannot understand why Red Driving School with a Corsa now charge £250 per week if you sign a 6 month contract yikes  (used to be only £150 if you sign a 12 month contract :?) and yet LVG/TICs other driving school LetsDrive only charge £176.25 per week and provide an air conditioned Yellow Mini with supposedly a fully diary within only a few weeks!!! See link below for details:

Career with LetsDrive
Earning potential with LetsDrive

As The Instructor College (TIC) own LetsDrive and RED I am sure they will be able to advise you of the possibilities.

#14 09-06-06 11:12:54

sipin
Verified Member

The key phrase is 'Potential'

You have the potential to earn over 100k per year, how ?

Sleep 8 hours per day
Work 16 hours X £20 per hour (not being greedy) per day = £320 per day
£320 X 7 days = £2240 per week
£2240 X 52 weeks = £116,480 per year.

The ITC say guarantee OR your money back

But no one would fall for that, Would they ?

LD run a scheme where they do a promotion to get you started, they set up in area's such as the local shopping centre with the car and advertising and encourage people to sign up, offering free, 1/2 price lessons, it is then up to the new instructor to keep the pupils

#15 09-06-06 12:18:53

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Who pays for the shortfall in lesson fees? LD or the instructor?

#16 09-06-06 12:37:19

sipin
Verified Member

The instructor

#17 09-06-06 12:41:50

Jellybean
Verified Member

The problem with Red is that they expect you to find your own pupils.  I think they had a reasonable backup with help and possibly someone coming out with you.  I stopped listening after £250 was mentioned.  But I do remember him saying they would pass enquiries on to you but you needed to be very proactive in getting pupils yourself but they did not guarantee any at all. :?

Jellybean big_smile

#18 09-06-06 13:06:47

adam1516

Hi guys,

Just thought I would add a few thoughts of my own.

All of these establishments often offer a 'guaranteed' placement. So what? It doesn't mean a thing unless they can guarantee pupils, and as far as I know, none of them do.

How can any driving school, no matter who they are, make a cast iron guarantee of work?

I did a little research regarding the Mini which Red supply. It is rated just 1 star, as opposed to the Corsa CDTi, which is 5 stars. Sure, it will attract pupils, but you might spend half of the time in the local garage.

BSM, who seem to give most instructors plenty of work, are an option.

However, here is a quick  calculation regarding them -

30 lessons @ £24.00 = £720.00
Franchise Fee - £330.00
Fuel £80.00 (could be a lot more)

So that leaves £310.00.

OK, deduct  tax and NI

Then consider 30 lessons would be a probable 40 hour week.

40 hours - take home pay less than £250.00.

I see the dilemma all PDI's and new ADI's are in, including me. No easy options, no guarantees.

#19 09-06-06 15:22:40

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

A franchise fee should reflect the amount of support the school is prepared to give.

I agree no one should guarantee pupils but the instructor should not expect to just sit on his/her backside and wait for it to happen either.

BSM seem to come up with the pupils but look at the price you pay, other franchise fees make me wince too.

A realistic fee for a supplied car and work as and when it comes in should be around £15 per week.

We actually do a scheme for owner drivers where they pay a fixed monthly fee for unlimited introductions, if we fail to provide at least one in a month we refund £50 for that month.

Ripping off good instructors seems to be the norm for the big nationals.

#20 09-06-06 15:30:10

sw
Verified Member

They own RED driving school so of course they can guarantee a placemement although at £250 pw you'd be crazy to sign with them,..... sori pdi whoosh lol

Couldnt agree more PJ but sometimes we learn the hard way! Once qualified if you sign with them for a year they reduce the fee to £150 a week so you can sponsor a PDI, or £200 a week without the year's commitment. If you can find lots of pupils yourself great, but at £250 a week you shouldnt have to sit outside colleges every afternoon or go round putting up posters everywhere. They made me feel guilty for only having found 1 pupil of my own.

Only 12 days to go then the car goes back, yay.

#21 10-06-06 08:55:01

pj
Verified Member

So if Red expect you to find your own pupils what are you paying £250 pw for , just the hire of the car, for that money I'd want something a bit better than a corsa.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#22 11-06-06 13:09:43

Macca
Verified Member

LD run a scheme where they do a promotion to get you started, they set up in area's such as the local shopping centre with the car and advertising and encourage people to sign up, offering free, 1/2 price lessons, it is then up to the new instructor to keep the pupils

Sounds really good. Does this promotion cost the LetsDrive instructor any extra or is it provided as part of the £167 per week. Do all new LetsDrive instructors get the same start up promotion where a LetsDrive sales team books the local shopping centre and set up an exhibition unit with cars or is this just gimmick to get them to buy an instructor training course? What about the £500 bond for the mini before you start is this still needed?

#23 12-06-06 08:49:01

sipin
Verified Member

Sounds good but, the instructors I've talked to (about 12 months ago) have said the catch is after the pupils have had the benefit of very cheep lessons (the Instructor has been working for £11 per lesson and has to pay his/her expenses out of that) and the Price goes up to the normal which is at least £23 most pupils go back to their old instructor leaving the ADI out of pocket once the franchise has been paid for. The Instructor has to pay extra for it too.

#24 12-06-06 15:11:03

Karl
Verified Member

I have been on a trainee licence with BSM for a month now, i get paid for the amount of hours I do (I have to guarantee them 15 hours but i chose the days and hours a work, there is no franchisee fee just earn as you work sort of thing, its just like an hourly rate, its worked for me but i have not mortgage or kids to look after just a girlfriend Pm me if you wanna know more

Karl

Part 1- 93% and 67
Part 2- 2 Minors
Part 3- Passed 20th Dec 4/5 2006

#25 12-06-06 18:17:39

luchell

Are you on a 6 month contract Karl or can you just go tomorrow if you wanted to? also how much do you get per hour? I am asking out of curiousaity and for others to smile

Board footer