You are not logged in.

#1 06-06-06 19:25:47

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Fleet Check Test

This is my 1st Fleet check test. :?

Any tips from experienced fleet trainers appreciated smile

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

06-06-06 19:25:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet Check Test

#2 06-06-06 19:47:01

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

When did you register for fleet trendender?

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 07-06-06 08:32:12

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

When did you register for fleet trendender?

Last year so I guess it has come round pretty quick. I've done plenty of fleet work since but I was unsure of the layout to use for the check test.

My Fleet sessions average around 3 hours so which part do I cram into 1 hour? etc etc

If its the 'Taking Part' & not 'Winning' that counts then why bother keeping score!!

#4 07-06-06 12:03:55

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

It s no different to a normal check test, you will be expected to explain to your SE that your delegate has had an assessment and you are about to work on the following weaknesses....................

Make sure you do just that but alter the plan should you need to, say another fault crops up, mention all faults revealed but focus on the main weaknesses.

Beginning: State your objective Middle: ID theweakness, Analise and correct :end: debrief with praise sandwich and offering further training.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 07-06-06 16:31:12

ExAdiNigel

It s no different to a normal check test....

Yes it is!  The difference is that you are assessing risk rather than identifying faults.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 07-06-06 18:18:05

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

When was the last time you did your fleet check test then?

#7 08-06-06 06:17:16

ExAdiNigel

two and a half weeks ago.

#8 08-06-06 06:21:24

pj
Verified Member

1-0 to nigel lol

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 08-06-06 06:32:37

ExAdiNigel

I had originally been called in September/October time but had to postpone it because my Dad had just passed away.  Anyway, was called again and appointment made for May 23rd.

The main info I had picked up was that for it to be a fleet test I should just use a full license holder - Not that simple unfortunately.

I originally thought I would do Motorway and perhaps I may have been better off sticking to that, but I didn't.  The pupil I chose was a pupil I had taught from scratch on manual.  The rest of her family use auto so I thought I could do an auto conversion course.  Then I thought that I would struggle to fill the whole lesson with this, especially since I would have to go through much of it just to get her to the test centre so I decided to also give her the Drive & Survive (one of the fleet companies I do some work for) presentation and then also bring in some of the ideas from there.   I was lucky that I did because the SEADI said that the auto work wouldn't have been enough in itself for a fleet test. 

Anyway, from the feedback........

The pupil chosen should be someone more like a typical fleet driver - someone who drives as part of their job.

We should be assessing risk as opposed to correcting faults (subtle difference, I know).

Trentender,

What fleet work do you do?  Do you have any friends or neighbours who do drive for a living?  Would they be prepared to sit through one of your typical fleet sessions?  Other D&S trainers have gone through the presentation, done the demo drive and the assessment drive before the check test and then turned up to test, being in a position to tell the SEADI what they have done so far and what they are going to work on and then done just that!

Good Luck

Nigel

Oh!  I managed to recover enough to scrape a 4!

#10 08-06-06 07:15:55

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

So if the delegate (as opposed to pupil) fails to check into say a cross roads and you don't mention it - thats OK? If after analysing this you didn't prompt the delegate to do so - thats OK?
Not what I was told at Cardington, Your task is indeed to assess and identify risk, but it is also to deliver the core competencies.
Which as we all know is ID Analise and rectify.

So what does `assessing risks` mean exactly?

#11 08-06-06 08:35:24

ExAdiNigel

OK, so what were you told at Cardington?  If the Fleet check test is exactly the same as the standard check test why call them different names?  I am only passing on what I was told on the actual test.  I don't profess to be an expert.

Nigel

#12 08-06-06 13:33:32

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

"Your task is indeed to assess and identify risk, but it is also to deliver the core competencies.
Which as we all know is ID Analise and rectify"

#13 08-06-06 16:07:28

whodareswins
Verified Member

I would suggest that an important part of the risk "assessment" is to demonstrate your ability to "prioritise" the risk. I would agree that delivering the Core Competencies is an essential part of the exercise BUT it is not necessary to "See It, Say It and Sort It" at the moment it occured as you would with a learner.

I was always taught to analyse the overall drive and to identify a common thread (or issue - call it what you will) that was likely to be the root cause of most, if not all of the "faults" being exhibited. Then to pull the "delegate" over, discuss my observations and make suggestions for improvement. In other words, "See It" during the initial drive, "Say It" during the discussion and "Sort It" on the next part of the drive.

It ain't what you do , it's the way that you do it!

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#14 08-06-06 17:29:55

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Trentender,

What fleet work do you do?  Do you have any friends or neighbours who do drive for a living?  Would they be prepared to sit through one of your typical fleet sessions?  Other D&S trainers have gone through the presentation, done the demo drive and the assessment drive before the check test and then turned up to test, being in a position to tell the SEADI what they have done so far and what they are going to work on and then done just that!

Good Luck

Nigel

Oh!  I managed to recover enough to scrape a 4!

I think I'll go the "Pro-Drive" route.

Presentation
Initial Drive
Demo Drive

Then use the check test for their final drive/coaching.

I've got the same problem as you of who to use. In the real world people work during these times. If all else fails then it's the wife :evil:

That would be a challenge.... smile

#15 08-06-06 21:58:08

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Can I just go back to my original post.........."you will be expected to explain to your SE that your delegate has had an assessment and you are about to work on the following weaknesses...................."

#16 08-06-06 21:58:40

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

You could always use the SE

#17 14-06-06 21:34:28

ExAdiNigel

What date is your test?

Nigel

#18 15-06-06 07:04:10

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Tues July 11th

#19 15-06-06 08:55:49

blindspot

All check tests involve assessments

The difference is in the level of assessment.

In all of them it is spot, analyse, correct.

The biggest fault I have found with fleet drivers is following distances.  You can spend 20 minutes on that alone because you refer them to the HWC sec 105 and go through stopping distances following distances and planning ahead.

B

#20 30-06-06 22:07:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Trentender,
Just read this thread after coming back from holiday, hope you find the following advice usefull for the coaching ability check test. Notice the words 'coaching ability' rather than instructional ability.
Big difference between this and normal check test.

As someone mentions above you need to initially choose your candidate carefully, a real company car driver or similair ideally.
Start as normal introducing the client to the se, and explaining about their current ability etc..
Interactively recap the previous driving session to begin.( Or Remember you could use someone who you havnt previously taken out before and start from scratch with them) After all im sure you do this on a daily basis with fleet clients.
You should Start with a short presentation raising awareness of occupational road risk, prehaps relating to the type of driving they do.(about 5-10 mins)
Vehicle safety checks and discussion on legal requirements also perfectly acceptable.
Once on the move asses the candidates driving as you would normally on fleet, remember asses initially.
At some stage you need to offer the client a risk assesment and then offer appropiate coaching methods as required to reduce the risks identified. Again the words 'coaching ' rather than instructing.Demo drive normally acceptable if kept short.
A demo would be much more appropiate than with a learner, the clients can see it done properly and pick up on this quickly.Again as with real fleet course.
Finish giving a final profile highlighting their strenghts and weaknesses, indicating further coaching required on future sessions.
Concentrate on the following areas throughout and prioritise your coaching:

Use of speed - You know you must deal with this first with virtually all clients!
Seperation distances - Again you know!
MSM PSL - Big safety issue again.
Forward planning
Other road users
Vehicle safety checks
Driver attitude
Legal requirements
Passenger safety
Vehicle sympathy
Dealing with aggresive drivers
Enviromental effects
Use of commentary driving

The core competencies are similair to a normal check test.
Try not to call them faults though, more risk areas requiring development, when analysing make sure you mention the degree of potential danger involved and always try to deal with the most important areas such as speed or seperation distance initially. Dont go overboard on the steering technique for instance unless its really poor. I would try to mention everthing of note though- just prioritise the risk.

May seem a bit ott, keep mentioning coaching rather than instructing but that is important as the se is looking at you ability with a qualified driver, probably with years of experience .

Above all phone the SE and ask him/her any questions you may, have explain its your first fleet check test. I wouldnt be afraid to use the SE on this one,they will make it very clear what is expected if they role play a client.The things they do are really really obvious!

Do you know the SE you have for test? The DSA are currently training more and more SE's to deliver fleet check test's.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#21 30-06-06 22:31:05

blindspot

Excellent post Hector  -  very useful

B

#22 01-07-06 08:40:56

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Much appreciated.

Thankyou

#23 11-07-06 19:47:30

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Tues July 11th

Got a 5 & it went quite well.

Thanks for everyone's tips....

#24 11-07-06 19:52:06

hector
Verified Member
Website

Excellent result trentender well done!
Which SE did you get?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#25 11-07-06 19:58:23

Trentender
Verified Member
Website

Excellent result trentender well done!
Which SE did you get?

I got an old friendly guy by the name of Mr V G Oatridge.

He had his eyes shut for half of the journey & I thought he was asleep at 1 stage.....I found this very funny as did the guy I used for the session.

Board footer