You are not logged in.

#1 03-11-04 22:37:17

Mark

question...please...

If emerging from a roundabout or two lane junction ,if there is a lorry along side you.. can you use this lorry for cover? Or do i need to wait for the lorry to go in order to continue..seeing it clear for myself?

answers on the back of a post card please. smile

03-11-04 22:37:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: question...please...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-11-04 23:37:02

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Sorry don't have any postcards to hand, so here it is:

The safest thing to do is to wait until you can see. If you fail to match your speed to that of the lorry you could find yourself in the path of an approaching vehicle, particularly motorbikes who may nip around the front or back of the lorry.

And if the lorry makes a mistake and hits the brakes, will you have enough time to stop?

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#3 04-11-04 05:57:25

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Agree with Jason.

Also take into account that at some roundabouts the lorry may need to "straightline" due to their size

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#4 04-11-04 08:26:45

Mark

many thanks. big_smile

#5 05-11-04 00:25:22

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

basically if you can't SEE it to be safe it probably isn't.  would you trust a strangers judgement with your life, hmmm.

#6 05-11-04 10:48:00

steveo
Verified Member

i agree with all of the replies, it's best to hang back until your sure it's safe to proceed. except when i was doing my part 2 test, this situation arose a couple of times. i wasn't 100% confident it was safe to proceed, so i waited until i was. when we got back to the test center the s.e. picked me up on this. i can't remember for sure but i think i might have gotten a minor for being too hesitant. we had a bit of a "disscusion", about this. :evil:  i said if we had a good open view on the approach, fair enough, that would be over hesitant, but i didn't so i played it safe. he wasn't having any of it and said we were "protected", by the bus or lorry and should have been out. i was just so happy i had passed that i just ended up saying o.k. fair enough. (didn't want to get on his wrong side in case he changed his mind and failed me lol ).
in certain situations when i'm out driving, this is what i would practice, but i would never teach this to a pupil. i suppose it comes down to on part 2 tests, we have got to show we are good, safe confident drivers, who can read the road ahead and make good progress, but this comes with experience, and as i stated earlier would never teach this method to a pupil (bearing in mind i have just started on a pink this week, so probly don't know what i'm talking about!!!! big_smile ).

steveo.

#7 05-11-04 17:40:30

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi all

Just an answer to steveo reply

I am very suprised that the SE told you - that you should have gone

Have recently had a discussion re this very topic with my SE and he said the candidate should NEVER proceed if they cannot make a decision based on what THEY see

The term for this action is called "SHIELDING" and is very dangerous for the following reasons

1) is the lorry driver - sober - awake - alert - on the phone - on drugs - capable of making a mistake? any other

2) how far are you from the lorry ( 1 foot etc) if another car is doing 30 round the rounabout and hits the lorry be assured it will push the lorry into your car or even tip the lorry van over onto you

3) this is a common way for motorbikes to get killed on roundabouts - especially where there are three lanes and the lorry is furthest right as the motorbike comes round he tries to avoid the lorry who has pulled out in front of him by going behind only to find two lanes of cars pulling out because the lorry has  - a friend of  mine was seriously injured just like that

4) if it is a large lorry will it take up a bit of your lane as well when it goes? very common and the driving manual suggests you hold back from large vehicles and to wait

What my SE said he likes to see is if a lorry is coming up beside you and you are aware that you will not be able to see - then hang back a bit go a bit slower on the approach to the roundabout and you will be able to see more and maybe go straight out - and he likes you to look earlier on the approach too

If you had failed on that point you could have appealed as it is in direct conflict with the driving manual as it states on many pages - If in doubt wait - you must not proceed until YOU can see the road is clear

I teach PDI's and I will continue to teach them to wait until THEY can see and make their own decision to go not to rely on other drivers decisons   smile

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

#8 05-11-04 18:14:19

Stephen7738

Is this a rccomendation just for ADI's/PDI's whilst instructing learner's or is it for experienced driver's who can make decision's based on what can and can't be seen.
        Stephen

#9 06-11-04 12:54:44

jeni
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Just a quick reply to stephen

I would like to see all drivers waiting until they can see - how many times have you come round a roundabout and a lorry (which can be slow) pulls out in front of you from a two or three lane exit

You end up slamming on your brakes and when you try to go behind the lorry/van you find 2 or 3 other cars pulling out with the lorry - they obviously could not see but went cos the lorry did

We do get beeped at occasionally by drivers behind who think we should have gone with the lorry/van and you have to watch out for drivers going in the back of you !!!!! cos they think you have gone

When I was teaching learners I had one fail with a dangerous fault as he was waiting to turn left at a closed junction and there were 2 BT vans waiting to turn right - as the 1st BT van went so did the learner  -  but the motorbike coming went round the front of the BT van and nearly into the side of my learner - the examiner was not impressed and had to use the duals to stop the car

So saftey first if you cant see dont rely on other people to make a decison for you

Read the driving manual essentials skills for more details  smile

Jeni

Jeni Holland ADI Driving Instructor Trainer (Passed Ordit 2006) Pay as you go trainer
www.abfabdec.co.uk

Poole Dorset 01202 259382

Board footer