You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-06-06 07:06:58

buzzbaa
Verified Member
Website

What are the steps to becoming an ADI trainer or going into Fleet training?

Hi Folks. smile

I'm one of those people who continually looks at trying to better myself.

Ive only been qualified as an ADI for approx 8 months now, but I'm thinking ahead, and the two area's I'm looking at are fleet training or becoming an ADI trainer.

Any useful comments/help would be appreciated. smile

Regards

Craig

01-06-06 07:06:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What are the steps to becoming an ADI trainer or going into Fleet training?

#2 01-06-06 11:45:58

pj
Verified Member

Don't run before you can walk, at 8 mths your still learning and gots lots more learning to do. Would you of liked to have been trained by someone who had only been an adi for 8 mths, I know I wouldn't although I suspect I was  neutral

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#3 01-06-06 12:01:02

blindspot

A national ADI training company  will probably insist on its trainers being a grade 5 or 6.

Company executives contracting fleet trainers will expect to see a fleet register membership.

The DSA is on the verge of ratcheting up the standards of instruction in these two areas althought the market place tends to sort its own level in fleet training.

At the moment anybody can set up as an ADI trainer but be careful of the Part 3 phase.  Role playing is a skilled exercise and you will need training in that to do it correctly.

B

#4 01-06-06 12:45:56

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Dont know of any national ADI training companies??

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#5 01-06-06 12:48:39

blindspot

Youve been training ADIs for 8 years of course you do !!

Badger

#6 01-06-06 12:52:08

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Is he saying he only knows of national PDI training establishments?

Regards,

#7 01-06-06 12:52:26

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Soz, but if you are refering to TIC they are not an ADI training company, there are a couple of outfits advertising in  the odd mag claiming to train trainers.......?

#8 01-06-06 13:25:40

blindspot

Training to become an ADI to me means you find someone who trains people to become ADIs.

ie ADI training

Which is what I referred to in my original post.

Training for ADIs is another matter.  Check testing, CPD etc etc

Hope that clarifies it for you

B

#9 01-06-06 13:36:17

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Fleet driver training is big business led by the recognised training organisations such as RoSPA and IAM, I do a fair bit for RoSPA but have picked up a few good contracts off my own bat.
If you go down this road you can expect to spend around £700 to get there. then expect to earn around £120 per day with the above (plus mileage and overnights)
They tend to be long days starting at 830 and finishing 430, then you have to travel to the next or home, its varied though and you meet a lot of interesting peeps along the way.

The only training I have had to equip me to train PDIs is the university of ADI life, team building in the good old days at TIC and most importantly sitting in on as many pt 2 and 3 tests as possible and listening to every debrief, plus getting to know as many SE and SE ADIs as possible so as to `pick their brains`, most are very helpful.
Check test training  ditto.
CPD is still a shadow but I have several courses ready for submission to the DSA for accreditation and they will all cost a lot less than those going around now, (3 day course for check test preparation, RIP off)

All good stuff, and if you want to diversify you have to go for it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 01-06-06 15:14:18

Horizon
Verified Member

If you go down this road you can expect to spend around £700 to get there. then expect to earn around £120 per day with the above (plus mileage and overnights)

So why bother?  I earn more than that teaching learners.

#11 01-06-06 15:22:13

sparkle

£120 per day? 8.30 - 4.30  yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes I earn that in less than 6 hours big_smile

Sorry had to be said ;D

Personally cant see the appeal of fleet :-  or am i missing something??? :-

#12 01-06-06 15:51:28

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Yes you are missing something, read the initial post from buzzbaa, I can earn £140 in 4 hours but it doesn't mean I get as much out of it, Buzzbaa is looking to the future and like me and many others we don't want to be teaching learners for the rest of our working lives, (nothing personal you learners) but there comes a time when you may want a little more from the badge.
i get to drive cars other s can only dream about, on and off the road or track, I get to go on the big silver bird to train drivers with funny names, I could go on but its obvious that Sparkle and horizon are allready stuck in a groove.

#13 01-06-06 15:54:39

sparkle

Why are you being funny?

I only asked was i missing soemthing? what do you mean stuck in a grove?

Working from 8.30-4.30 for only £120 seems alot of hours?? Wondered how that money came about.?

Im 29, and if i wanna go do something else i got alot of years to do it yet wink

#14 01-06-06 15:58:18

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Not being funny sparks, just you came across like you didnt read the original post, and hey a couple of my best instructors were your age when they started, they are teaching sons and daughters of former pupils now, so ya just dont know which way you might go yet.

#15 01-06-06 16:03:18

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Please don't write off the fleet markets just because of the rates that IAM and Rospa pay.

Trainers working for me will be earning £250 a day from 8.30 to 4.30 and we are still making a profit. Some big fleet companies are making a real killing because some trainers, who enjoy the prestige and variety, are prepared to work for peanuts. (at least my trainers should get both big_smile)

Regards,

#16 01-06-06 16:07:46

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Thats it, the reasons I was looking for, prestige and variety. and in my book improving myself, thanks L

I wasnt `writing fleet off` My licence number is 02 thats how keen I was to get registered and I havnt changed

#17 01-06-06 16:09:03

sparkle

I didnt read the first post oooooops big_smile

I read the one above Horizons and took quote from that..

#18 01-06-06 16:38:59

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Carl,

I don't think my comment about writing fleet work off was aimed at you, rather those that have not really started to get into it and those a bit hesitant because of the mean amounts paid by the 'big boys'

Regards,

#19 01-06-06 16:41:47

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

I guess if I wasnt so involved in our school and ADI training I woud be pushing the fleet side more.

#20 01-06-06 16:46:45

blindspot

Poor old Buzzba  -  he asks a simple question and its gone off the rails rabbiting on about how good everyone is.

All he wanted to know was what steps to take.

ADI training   -  find someone to work with before going on your own. No formal qualifications or licence other than ADI required at the moment as the ORDIT (Official Register of Driving Instructor Trainers) is still voluntary.  Clearly it would be an advantage to be on the ORDITbut it is likely to become compulsory before long.

Try the National Companies, TIC etc and talk to anyone advertising locally for anyone interested in becoming an ADI.  They may need trainers to help out. See what they say.

Fleet Work.  You must get on the Register although it is not compulsory yet. This involves either organising your own training and taking a 3 part exam set by the DSA, or signing on with an accredited Fleet Instructor training company (RoSPA, IAM and I believe DIA)for a course which will then qualify you to pay for inclusion on the register and display your little beige coloured licence.

The grandfathers rights system for people who had qualifications through IAM and RoSPA before the fleet register was launched (and one or two others)and were already working with fleets is now closed.

B

#21 01-06-06 22:02:00

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
You are correct Badger DIA do fleet as well as training the trainer courses.

I did my fleet through the AA who pay £140 day+ as has been said you get to drive some nice cars (and some grotty ones)using thier fuel and I have yet to but lunch. Very interesting work too for a variety of clients.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#22 02-06-06 06:04:20

buzzbaa
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the positive answers ( and some of the negative ones as well wink).

I think I'll take deeper look into fleet training.

Special thanks to greenlight for the link.

Buzzbaa

www.drive4it.co.uk

Board footer