You are not logged in.

#1 01-11-04 10:34:12

TimApps

Pull-push vs.Rotary Steering

Learners naturally compare what they are taught with how experienced motorists drive. Consequently one of the most obvious casualties, once a learner passes the test is the ‘pull-push’ system of steering. We teach this technique because it is ‘preferred best practice’ advocated by the Driving Standards Agency. If, through coaching, we allowed learners to steer ‘naturally’, they would cross their arms more often, maintaining a fixed handhold, technically referred to as ‘rotational steering’. I don’t think that I would be alone if I stated that ‘Pull-push steering’ on modern cars is uncomfortable, inconvenient and unnecessary.

Where candidates cross their arms while steering on a driving test, providing car control is maintained, officially they will not be penalised. However, no ADI that I know would chance the DSA syllabus by teaching rotary steering.
Thoughts?

01-11-04 10:34:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pull-push vs.Rotary Steering

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-11-04 10:49:59

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Tim,
This topic has been discussed at length, check out the following link.

http://iseekhere.com/learn2driveforum/v … highlight=

#3 01-11-04 10:50:00

alys
Website

I passed my driving test 15 years ago and didn't use the "pull-push" method until I started training to be a driving instructor a couple of months ago.  I personally find that I have better control with pull-push than rotary.  Also, with rotary it is easy to end up in a position where you have to let go of the wheel to get a better grip.

Another consideration is what happens when your air bag goes off and you have your hand across the wheel?  I have read somewhere either on here or another forum about people with watches embedded in foreheads etc......

I also read on this forum about how drivers should be retested as they pick up bad habits, it may feel easier but is not necessarily better.  Also, where does it stop?  For instance, "Why should I bother to check my mirrors, if someone is behind me I don't care what they are doing - they should look where they are going.........!"

Just my opinion you understand.

Alys

Alys smile

Board footer