You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:33:13

jonks

Mini

Do you use a Mini?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:33:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mini

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 05-09-04 23:19:24

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:54 pm   Member - rusty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini One D,
Good - fuel consumption 45/50. Visibility good for manouveres Spacious for driver/passenger. Performance reasonable, excellent for motorway/pass plus. £100 for 5 years servicing.
Steering very positive. Pupils love the mini. So do I, bought cooper s as well. Residuals look favourable.

Bad - No spare wheel provided. You have to pay for air cond/alarm etc.

#3 30-09-04 21:40:40

Anonymous

i thought you had a focus?

#4 31-10-04 18:07:11

Ozzie

One of my pupils has a mini, which we use for her lessons. Its quite funky, but I personally wouldn't buy one as its a bit tight on space. No room around the knees, and everytime we go right at roundabouts, I get a thump on the side of the head from the grab handle.

Not for me.

Oz

#5 31-10-04 21:16:52

Anonymous

too exspensive

#6 04-11-04 09:14:18

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Just had the 3rd alternator installed at 22K. Hope it lasts a bit longer this time.
Its the inconvenience of taking it in and 2 days lost. Know of one other who"s on 4 alternators. sad

#7 29-05-05 20:48:24

all_alps
Verified Member

Hi,
Has anyone used a the BMW Mini for teaching? Could you possibly share your experience with us please? I am thinking of purchasing a Mini to teach but i have not seen any that have been used by other ADI's. I am not sure if its is made for teaching in. I had a friend who had a BMW compact for teaching in and it kept on breaking down on him. He said it maybe the fact that it wasnt made for stop starting. All help appreciated.

Cheers
Alps

#8 29-05-05 20:53:59

Drewer
Verified Member

Ive never had one but quite a few schools here in liverpool/ widnes
have them. But you cant use the mini convertable the DSA have
baned it as a test vehicle.
Drewer

#9 29-05-05 21:13:12

silver

hi, ive been teaching in a bmw mini for almost 2 years now and its great, the pupils love it, its a real eye catcher. i was the first to get one round here, and now there is at least 4 others adi's with them!!!!!

they are a bit heavy on fuel, but other than that good cars, lots of room in them too (except the boot)

#10 29-05-05 21:28:16

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
    Had the One (petrol) now on the One D (diesel), 32mpg and 50 + mpg respectively.
Shop around there"s plenty of low mileage one"s about as the petrol have been around 3 1/2 yrs and the diesel almost 2 years.
Great to drive, handling/visibility good.
Word of warning , if buying new dont overspec, its easy to get carried away and you will end up spending lots for a training car.
Pends what you want to spend though, paid £12200 for mine and got £10000 for it with 33k on.
Seen a few petrols about for 9K.
New models/engines out end of 2006.

HTH

#11 29-05-05 23:34:42

MiniRob
Verified Member
Website

I've had my MINI (called 'Halle', after the actress) since I qualified in November.  The pupils love her, find her easy to drive, visibility is good, you have a very visible mobile advert, and other MINI's wave to you!!  Only problem I've had is a burnt out clutch at 7000 miles, which BMW said was due to 'excessive wear and tear', so wouldn't cover it under warranty.  Not a happy chap!
Don't worry too much about scratching the alloys, the tyres provide plenty of protection if your pupil gets a bit close.  Manual air-con makes a massive difference to clearing steamed-up windows, essential in the very damp west of scotland!  Would suggest you look at BMW leasing.  Over 2 years it's only a bit more expensive than buying, but you won't pay for new tyres, which at £100+ each saves you £££'s in the long run.
Cheers, Rob

#12 30-05-05 06:37:47

Wooly

Hi Minirob. Thinking of getting a mini myself. Is yours a petrol or diesel? Do you have many probs with BMW trying to wriggle out of warranty repairs? Im a bit dissapointed they dont offer incentives like other manufacturers, I mean, when the cars on the road its a good advert for them too!

#13 30-05-05 13:56:34

all_alps
Verified Member

Many Thanks to everyone that replied.
I am looking at a One D, purely for the fact that they are cheaper to run. However i have seen the Citroen C2 diesel which gives an average of 68 MPG. However it aint no Mini. If i bought the Mini i wouldnt get it spec out purely for the fact that its a car i would teach in and really drive it for private use.
Can anyone advise how much fuel costs on a Mini D for a lesson. Most ADI's state that it costs them roughly £1.50 per lesson in a petrol.

#14 31-05-05 07:15:37

MiniRob
Verified Member
Website

Halle is a MINI one petrol. According to the trip computer she averages about 32mpg during her working week, most of which is around town.
Overall very impressed with my BMW dealer and BMW, just concerned they might use the fact she is a teaching car to get out of and warranty bills, as they did with the clutch.  They did do an excellent job of getting her back on the road within 2 days when the clutch went, not bad when you have to take the engine out to do it!

#15 01-06-05 22:12:36

markA.d.I

i have been teaching in a mini 1d for about 3 month's, touching wood as i say this but i havent had a singular problem. the car is very comfortable and has plenty of power. visibility is second to none. at xmas 2004 in my area the work was starting to dry up, a local guy with a mini had a 2-3 week waiting list!. the pups love the mini and all enjoy driving it. pups phone up and ask "are you the guy with the mini?". it has increased my workload 10 fold. in my limited exp' i would highly rec' the car. worth the extra cash.

#16 02-06-05 17:52:18

all_alps
Verified Member

Mark ADI, Thanks for your reply. Can you advise how many lessons you do a week and roughly how much it costs in fuel?

Cheers,

Alps

#17 02-06-05 19:02:19

markA.d.I

i am not the most organised of people and so have not yet fully calculated the running cost precisely, so it's not high enough consumption to worry, i am using between 55-60mpg. over the course of a week i am covering about 50 hours. i would estimate very roughly £1.50 - £2.00 per hour. please dont quote me on this, i recently started out and am concentrating on learning the job, so as long as i am covering my botty so to speak i am happy for now!. hope that helps. mark lol

#18 02-06-05 21:08:14

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi mark

At a quick estimate using £0.88 per ltr. which is £4.00 per gallon, your figures  of £1.50 to £2.00 would lead to an approx mileage per lesson of 20.5  to 27.5.
Most of us would probably be doing less per an hour lesson but maybe being in N Devon you cover a larger area.

#19 03-06-05 18:05:15

markA.d.I

i cover a vast area, the figures that i est' were purely a ball park. i really should get organised lol. one day that is!!. how many miles would you roughly cover per hour?.

#20 03-06-05 19:04:42

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
I'd probably average between 12 and 15 mls per lesson in my area on "L" lessons including running between.  Consumption tends to be around 28mpg on these.

NDIS or Speed courses between 15 and 20 mls in each hr plus getting to venue (could be as much as 15 mls away or as near as 5).
Consumption about 30-32 mpg

PassPlus oneday usually between 6 & 7 hrs plus 2 hrs for breaks, about 150 to 200 mls.   Consumption about 35 mpg.

Private driving on long trips consumption about 40 mpg.

That's all on a !.8 petrol injection Volvo

#21 14-08-05 17:44:03

ucandrive
Verified Member

:?: Anyone out there have a Mini One as there training car, if so can you give me a rating on the car, ie suitability, user friendly and so on.

As I said in my intro I am sitting my Pt 3 next month, which I am looking to PASS  big_smile 

Looking at info for next steps car etc

Cheers guys and gals

ucandrive

#22 14-08-05 17:54:09

sparkle

Personally i HATE them with a capital H lol

I drove one a diesel and the clutch was the heaviest thing ive ever dealt with... my leg ached (and im not kidding here) for DAYS after.

The space in the front is spacious (sp) but forget the back & boot..ohh there is no boot....at all.

Road handling is good..visabilty out the back is CRAP..utter crap..

The reverse is really weird to find... those that drive one will know what i mean..it took me a good few goes to 'get the hang' of putting the reverse in...not somthing to relish on a test :?  with nerves thrown in.

No spare tyre....can you beleive that!

It looks the business...it will get you pupils...but as far as a training car goes to me, its awful sad   for the money you can get ALOT better.

#23 14-08-05 18:31:57

hodges21
Verified Member
Website

hi, im with lets drive, and have had a mini one for 2 years.

not sure what the last car was going on about with regards to rear visability - i have no problems at all - and nor have any of my pupils in 2 years.

the mini one is quite heavy on petrol though (1.6 engine), but it is a pupil puller - and will help you attract people when your starting out.

they are lovely to drive, i really rate them

#24 14-08-05 18:36:46

g'day
Verified Member
Website

So the letsdrive mini does exist then  yikes . Despite the Glossy Magazine Pictures, I have yet to see one :!:

#25 14-08-05 20:00:27

markA.d.I

top car ....Love it to bits, dont agree with the visibility...find it spot on myself. i have just picked up my second, 1d in silver with a union jack on the roof, looks cool and it does draw the pupils!. would agree that reverse gear can be tricky,but once mastered its not a problem. if you have a family etc and intend to do a lot of private miles forget it, no boot or space in the rear, as a training car i love it.  nice to have something different than the standard clios and micras and corsas! 8)

Board footer