You are not logged in.

#1 23-05-06 17:23:41

tazmeen
Verified Member

IAM Driving course

i had failed my part II adi and so took on the IAM but by teh time they contacted me, i had passed part II. anyway still thought i might as well take it (eventually all instructors will need to do CPD).

BUT the only think that i dont like about their teaching is that they expect you to do an over the shoulder check when overtaking which i totally disagree with especially if you are on the motorway. oh!!! and apparently you can take your right indicator off on the give way at a roundabout if you have to wait, which i thought was not very good as its not exactly wasting anything.

anyhow does anybody else have any thoughts or has anyone else taken the test

23-05-06 17:23:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: IAM Driving course

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 23-05-06 21:49:59

ExAdiNigel

i had failed my part II adi and so took on the IAM but by teh time they contacted me, i had passed part II. anyway still thought i might as well take it (eventually all instructors will need to do CPD).

BUT the only think that i dont like about their teaching is that they expect you to do an over the shoulder check when overtaking which i totally disagree with especially if you are on the motorway.

We will never get consensus on this subject.  Some people insist on doing an over the shoulder check, some don't and the split isn't IAM vs DSA.  Personally I do.

oh!!! and apparently you can take your right indicator off on the give way at a roundabout if you have to wait, which i thought was not very good as its not exactly wasting anything.

Signalling has absolutely nothing to do with how long you have to wait before entering a roundabout and everything to do with benefitting other road users.  So the question isn't 'how long have I been waiting', but 'Will someone benefit'.  It is much more likely that you will be adding a signal rather than turning one off.

anyhow does anybody else have any thoughts or has anyone else taken the test

Go for it.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 24-05-06 13:26:25

hector
Verified Member
Website

This iam's lot, absolute rubbish most of it. Anyone agree?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#4 24-05-06 14:18:58

msdarcy721

LOL you being controversial i tink...:/

although was talking to an adi guy about this too; and he was saying similiar things neutral neutral neutral neutral

still would like to do it though :afro:

#5 24-05-06 14:41:42

hector
Verified Member
Website

Try it i promise you will agree with me! If you want to be taught how to drive quick round bends,and hardly ever signal youll love it! why not just join the police force!

Honestly never met an adi yet who agreed with the large majority of it.
Anyway the flat cap and pipe get in the way when to try to look round the observer.
Any iams observer's out there?

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#6 24-05-06 15:10:43

msdarcy721

yip think Gizmotime is one.

sure she'll see this thread and give her 2ps worth :afro:

#7 25-05-06 08:21:19

ExAdiNigel

Yes, I am an observer with both the IAM and ROADAR and I'm an ADI too.

Why not try being constructive with your criticism rather than just saying it's a load of crap?

From the comments you have made so far, you obviously don't understand much of what the IAM and ROADAR do.

Nigel

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 25-05-06 11:19:56

Gizmotime
Administrator

Anyway the flat cap and pipe get in the way when to try to look round the observer.
Any iams observer's out there?

yip think Gizmotime is one.

sure she'll see this thread and give her 2ps worth :afro:

Well I certainly DO NOT have a flat cap and I don't smoke a pipe, so instead of trying to insult Observer's on this board Don't.

Thanks Nigel at least someone isn't insulting me and other Observers.
I won't go on because to be honest hector isn't worth the hassle, he obviously knows everything roll

#9 25-05-06 11:22:43

msdarcy721

i am not insulting anybody.

i was simply giving an answer to hector's question, 'any iam observers out there': 'i think gizmotime is one' smile

#10 25-05-06 11:29:18

Gizmotime
Administrator

No no it wasn't you sorry I was saying that I don't wear a flat cap, I know you wern't insulting me and other Observers smile

I just copied your posting about Me being an Observer wink

#11 25-05-06 11:30:30

msdarcy721

ah ok

got the wrong end of the stick again  roll lol lol

forgive me :banghead: :banghead:  roll

#12 25-05-06 11:39:41

WOOF
Verified Member

What a silly confrontational old hector!  smile

Regards,

WOOF
--------------------
Part 1 - 100/68 - 01/08/2005
Part 2 - 4 Minors - 19/10/2005
Part 3 - 4/4 - 27/06/2006

#13 25-05-06 11:46:46

Gizmotime
Administrator

Takes all sorts Woof, I get used to it big_smile like water off a ducks back now wink

#14 25-05-06 16:56:09

tazmeen
Verified Member

hi there, the only thing i dont understand is looking over your shoulder on the motorway. because you are driving at such a speed, your blind spot is what you have just drove along a second or even half a second ago. when i finish my course i will be writing a letter to head office, in a very polite way and asking for advice. secondly a lot of the observers are not trained well enough t o give instruction on the drive properly which can get very confusing. having done my adi course, i have some experience now.

#15 25-05-06 22:01:19

ExAdiNigel

Taz,

The observers aren't trained to give ANY instruction.  All the observer is there to is to give some constructive advice on how you might improve your driving and prepare yourself for one of the tests offered by the IAM or RoADAR.

Nigel

#16 26-05-06 06:31:16

tazmeen
Verified Member

i think they should be as they DO give directions

Taz,

The observers aren't trained to give ANY instruction.  All the observer is there to is to give some constructive advice on how you might improve your driving and prepare yourself for one of the tests offered by the IAM or RoADAR.

Nigel

#17 26-05-06 10:28:16

luchell

They cannot be trained to give 'instruction' to do that you HAVE to be a pdi or adi. Observers advise and observe. It may be that the observer was new or something, the ones i met were totally superb when i did mine they really were.

#18 26-05-06 11:02:46

ExAdiNigel

Sorry Tazmeen, I was being a little pedantic, but as Luchell says to give instruction (technically also for money) you should be a PDI or ADI.

That said, Observers with both, IAM and RoADAR do have training in what they should be doing and both organisations are implementing a structure to the bank of observers.  In fact RoADAR are now using the word tutor instead of observer.

What you say about looking over your shoulder is correct for anything on your left but on your offside there is much more potential for something to be gaining on you.  Have you never made up your mind to move out to overtake and then found that you can't because something was there?  I have, that is why I do check over my shoulder before I make the lane change.

Nigel

#19 26-05-06 17:36:11

tazmeen
Verified Member

but they do give instructions in the way of directions, and hence should be trained to that nature

ie. follow the road ahead unless road signs, markings direct you otherwise. IF i want you to turn i shall tell you in plenty of time et etc.

They cannot be trained to give 'instruction' to do that you HAVE to be a pdi or adi. Observers advise and observe. It may be that the observer was new or something, the ones i met were totally superb when i did mine they really were.

#20 26-05-06 17:42:15

ExAdiNigel

But that isn't giving someone instruction in driving.  That is just giving directions.  Not much training required for that.

Has your observer been ambiguous in his directions then?

Nigel

#21 26-05-06 17:45:33

VandADI
Administrator

Tazmeen, I think you are getting the term 'instructions' i.e. An imparted or acquired item of knowledge; a lesson and
'directions'  i.e.An instruction or series of instructions for doing or finding something.

#22 26-05-06 21:06:05

Gizmotime
Administrator

Thanks Vanda wink

#23 27-05-06 08:06:45

tazmeen
Verified Member

at the roundabout we are going towards that other white building and when i got to it it was the wrong lane, switch lanes. easier if said 2 we are going to go right at the roundabout, it will be the 4th exit. i do sympathise with my trainer but i just dont understand why iam cant get the observers trained properly

But that isn't giving someone instruction in driving.  That is just giving directions.  Not much training required for that.

Has your observer been ambiguous in his directions then?

Nigel

#24 27-05-06 09:11:01

luchell

Perhaps its just that observer? Could you get another and try it that way?

#25 27-05-06 10:24:26

Gizmotime
Administrator

i do sympathise with my trainer but i just dont understand why iam cant get the observers trained properly

The IAM DO train there Observers correctly, I can vouch for that all the training I did to become an Observer.
Maybe if you had a word with the Seniour Observer he/she could throw some light on it for us. or maybe it is a newly qualified observer and has not yet quite got his act together if you know what I mean.

Board footer