You are not logged in.

#1 27-10-04 12:40:44

stickyhouse

Hope someone can help

Hi all

im new to this site and i need a bit of advice

ive wanted to be a driving instructor since i passed my test years ago,but i kept putting it off because every time i asked an adi about the work they all seem to say "ho you dont want to do this its all evenings and weekend work and theres no money in it"

others said if you want to do it then dont go with BSM because they just want to sell you training, they dont want you to stay with them when you pass

tried LDC,that seemed like a bit of a con

tried my old adi he said, yes ill teach you but i dont think you will pass

i thought i would get some driving experience behind me so i took the class2 HGV and PCV and ive been driving buses for a wile now but i want to get out of it

so my questions are
should i go with an independent adi or a big company?
there seems to be a lot of adis popping up i my area, can i make any money?
is it all worth it?

A bit of a long one for a fist post sorry :oops:

Hope some one can help

Thanks
Carl

27-10-04 12:40:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hope someone can help

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-10-04 15:51:37

VandADI
Administrator

#3 27-10-04 17:06:21

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Hi stickyhouse

If I had to train again I'd do Part 1 myself, Part 2 with a local ADI and then look for a high quality trainer for Part 3 - this way it'd be much cheaper and the money would be spent where it was needed. And as you've done HGV and PSV you shouldn't have much trouble with Parts 1 & 2.

As for work, I don't work beyond 7pm and only do Sat AMs, my diary is pretty full and I'm turning work away.

I put off doing this for many years, becasue of the concerns you've raised - now I wish I'd done it years ago. So if it's something you REALLY want to do, then go for it!

Feel free to ask if you've got any more questions...

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#4 27-10-04 21:02:12

Helvary

Hi Carl

Welcome. It's a bit of a minefield when choosing an appropiate training school and everyones got horror stories as well as good feelings about their trainers.

Would you let me give you impartial advice ? I'm an ORDIT registered trainer with a successful ADI training school. Yes, I can be impartial because I also trained with a major school and got ripped off. If only I knew then what I know now.

If you would send me a personal message I'll help you with your concerns. 

regards

Helen

#5 28-10-04 09:36:20

stickyhouse

Hi

well thanks for the replies

i was thinking about doing part 1 my self, one of the bus instructors were i work told me to do pt1 before i think about any thing else but he said like jason ive done hgv pcv so i shouldnt be a problem

so you think that i should do pt2 with a local adi and pt3 with a big company
wouldnt the local adi be able to teach it?

ive been self employed before and like the no boss and independence and my accountant told me to keep a couple of grand spear just in case (very wise)

im 29 and i am thinking my god ive got to do something with my life before its to late
i dont mind long hours if im doing it for myself

the only things that worry me are getting ripped off and the starting up on my own(who pays the mortgage in the first few months)
i thought about working part time on the buses and try to build the business up
has any one else done this??

being on the road all day i see a lot of very poor ADIs around and i know i can do a lot better than them (im not a big head but ive had a lot of different types of driver training)

what books do you recommend?
HELEN i will PM you
Thanks
Carl

#6 28-10-04 13:39:00

simpson

HI Carl,

I have been an A.D.I  trainer for a long time and most of the people i train come to me from other training organisations who have basically been ripped off. When i say ripped off i mean they are told they can "have as much training as you need". What actually happens is they get the basic hours for part two and three. Now on part two that might be ok if you have some  common sense and you are good at taking things in very quickly and perhaps have a training buddy who also is on part two. I have trained people on part two and got them through the exam with only 6 hours training one 2 one from scratch. However what the big schools dont tell you is that part three has the highest failier rate in the country.

I have had people from large schools on their final attempt at part three that have told me that they "cant get in for any more training". Its riduculous! These are peoples livlihoods we are talking about here!
These people call me for training, i help them with whatever there weaknesses are etc then they pass. Unfortunatley the big school they came from get all the glory for them passing part three!!
I dont mind though.
Be very carefull about handing thousands of pounds over.
I train on a pay as you go method. Its a lot easier than forking out 4 grand!

If you want to find out more or have a chat all my numbers are on our website. www.xceldrivertraining.com

GOOD LUCK

Simpson.

#7 31-10-04 09:23:29

The Magic Man

Hi Simpson,
I maybe giving you a call too, I trained with a school that said they would give me as much training as I needed, I failed part 3  twice last december, went on a pink in January, have struggled with test dates hence my next test is in December, I need to pass this,  I have a good pass rate, and I have learned so much.
So if you can help me please pm me.

Darren...

Board footer