You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-05-06 13:25:27

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

BioDiesel

Just wondering if anyone has tried BioDiesel.
Apparantly it should run any diesel engine and is much cleaner.
I dont have a clue if its cheaper or more economical or both.

06-05-06 13:25:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: BioDiesel

#2 06-05-06 14:11:47

ExAdiNigel

Oh it can be a lot cheaper especially if you make it yourself.  You should keep records of how much you use so that you can pay the correct tax to the government.  Of course if you buy biodiesel from a garage forecourt then the tax situation is covered.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 20-05-06 00:53:29

den676
Verified Member

There's plenty of info on the web. Apparently you need to get rid of the fatty acids if you use old veg oil. better if you know a chip shop owner. Not tried it cos it might get a bit messy in my flat but might have a go if I had somewhere to try it.

#4 20-05-06 10:58:26

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

There are a few garages around here that sell it at around 70p a litre. I might try a 50 50 mix to see how it performs. I think I need a fuel filter change for a 100% fill.
Im hopin the mpg is good.

#5 20-05-06 15:56:52

luchell

Let us know how you find it, its something i have never even thought of, are you sure its ok  :rolf: lol I dont know if i would trust it you see.

#6 20-05-06 17:10:37

pegasus
Verified Member

hi luchell
I know someone who uses it at 100% and is very happy with performance and it is actually cleaner as well as being carbon neutral, but he is driving an older vehicle.

I believe some manufacturers restrict the proportions you can use (10% or 20%) otherwise it affects the warranty. 

By the way those proportions mean mixed in the tank not 1 Tankfull of bio to every 4 or 9 Tanksfull of regular diesel.

#7 20-05-06 17:28:15

luchell

I see, thankyou for the info much appreciated. smile

#8 23-05-06 18:46:17

den676
Verified Member

Rudolf Diesel originally designed his engine to run on a variety of oils. I think his first one ran on peanut oil. After his death  yikes (murdered by the French to stop him building engines for Royal navy Submarines), the oil companies  :evil: found that diesels would run on a byproduct of refining petrol and called that diesel fuel.

They reckon that biodiesel is better for engines but at the moment the car companies don't agree. i know peeps who use cooking oil unprocessed in low percentages but I think you'd have to do a lot of miles to make that worth while.

Board footer