You are not logged in.

#1 22-05-06 15:24:38

peachy
Verified Member

Pink licence or not

I think this forum is great but now feel even more unsure of the way to go, to prepare for my part 3. Some say a pink licence is the only way to learn and others don't. They say you pick up too many bad habits. I think it is very difficult to practice using friends or family and I don't have any that need to learn to drive! I am thinking of going with a company who will charge £80.00 per week franchise and buying a small car of my own. (any suggestions for a good cheapish car? ) Do these schools give you any sort of guarantee that they will supply you with enough pupils to cover your costs? Can you also teach for money, your own pupils, say from recommendation? 

22-05-06 15:24:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pink licence or not

#2 22-05-06 16:07:03

Jellybean
Verified Member

Well I am in the same situation as yourself.  I am going the pink licence route but earning money is not an issue for me.  All I need to do is cover the cost of the franchise, plus tax insurance etc and maybe a bit over.  I do not have to worry about paying the bills at the minute.  I think it will work for me as I only intend doing 15hours plus, possibly not even that. 

Everyone will tell you it is a learning licence not an earning licence.  It will depend on your circumstances and how you use it that is important.

As for the car, I can't help you with that one as I can't decide what to do myself.  Its really down to how much you have to spend without going into debt and putting pressure on yourself to pay it off.

You will get lots of advice with different reasons to go a different route at the end of the day it is what you feel will work for you.  Do make sure what you are getting for your franchise fee, will they charge a one off fee for pupils introduced on top of the fee.  What help will they give you, how much will they charge you for lessons they give to you.  Who will do your 20 hours training or will they supervise 20% of your lessons.  Or have you already paid for that with your main trainer.

I have the same problem trying to decide what to do.  I think I have a headache coming on  :banghead:  LOL

Jellybean big_smile

#3 22-05-06 16:15:43

sparkle

I done the pink badge for 12 weeks and found it ace for part 3 (1st time pass)

Other hand i know others who never had a pink and still passed 1st time! ;D

Its a GOOD way of finding out wheather teaching is for you or not  wink

#4 22-05-06 16:23:27

sportster

Hi Peachy,

I'm currently on a pink licence and feel that it really is the only way to go. Jellybean's comments are correct in that when teaching real pupils you must never forget that you are still training. There are lots of stories about PDIs who earn loads but never make it through the Part 3 test. It is a good way to learn though!

As for franchising – you tend to find that they're all slightly different and what works for one, doesn't for somebody else. If possible don't get tied in to any contracts that last longer than 6 months – at least until you've passed Part 3.

The car is down to what you can afford. I'm leasing a new Fiesta at the moment which I'm very happy with.

All the best, let us know how it goes.

#5 22-05-06 16:27:19

peachy
Verified Member

Just posted a reply but dont know where it went!! Yes I have a headache too!! I am working 20hrs as a nurse at the moment but could do an extra 15 hours teaching. The franchise cost is just the weekly payment and there are no other costs so the money you get is yours less your overheads, seems OK. Having trouble booking a test as there is absolutely nothing available. So many decisions to make!!

#6 23-05-06 03:44:57

butt2
Verified Member

Hi.  Ive been on Pink for 8 weeks with a local company and need to do around 13 hours to cover all costs.

I am actually averaging around 25 so making a little pin money.  However the pink is not about being a paid instructor it is purely there as a training opportunity.  In my view a really good training opportunity but dangers do lurk if you do not remain focussed on the real aim.

I have lost my way a couple of times but with self discipline have refocussed.

To really benefit you must keep lessons structured.  Its a great opportunity to put into practise ROMPS and improve your abilities with the Core Competencies, GPI levels of instruction and Q&A techniques.   I assess a number of lessons each week which are PST based to keep focus.

After 8 weeks my confidence in my abilities has increased so much and I am for the first time feeling that I can pass Part 3.  Have my first attempt in July.

You will need to supplement your time on Pink with further training, practise and study.  You have to do 20 hours but might need more.   

My one remaining hurdle is that I still seem to dry up a little when with my trainer.  This seems to be down to some mental hurdle whereby I know that the trainer (same with the SE) is much more knowledgeable than me so therefore worry about exposing gaps in my knowledge and skills.

So working hard to build my confidence in my knowledge base and in instructor skills.

Being on Pink requires a lot of self discipline and never lose sight of its purpose.  It is first and foremost a TRAINING OPPORTUNITY.   

#7 23-05-06 10:31:19

luchell

Butt2, i must commend you on your post there. I cannot add to that really. Excellent. Using your pink that way is a sure fire way to success. Its only to easy to count the bucks and start thinking yeah this is good .... then its over neutral study study study, every lesson you need to look at yourself, did you miss anything? Did you give everything you could that lesson. If you get home and you are too tired to pick up your books and study you are doing too much. Some wise words there that came from one of my Bsm trainers.

Board footer