You are not logged in.

#1 20-05-06 09:11:31

Jellybean
Verified Member

Pink Licence and 20 hours training

I have done my training with TIC and recently finished my 40 hours.  Been very good and looked at BSM Red etc even though I had a local trainer in mind.  Now more or less have a car sorted out.  I have just been in contact with my local trainer and we were discussing what my next move should be.

Now the query is according to TIC they will do my 20 hours training.  Whereas my local trainer thinks that he should be doing it.  Now what is the legal position does your sponsor have to do the 20 hours? or can someone sponsor you but have no requirement to provide the 20 hours.

Jellybean

20-05-06 09:11:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Pink Licence and 20 hours training

#2 20-05-06 14:22:54

whodareswins
Verified Member

TIC will not "sponsor" you.  Any willing ADI can do this and they are signing to say that they will ensure that you receive the required additional training (not that they, themselves will provide it). TIC will provide the additional 20 hours required (should be included in the contract you signed but check) for your Pink licence but just make sure that you can get it within the first 3 months as required by the DSA. That being said, you can take the 20 hours wherever you see fit. It doesn't have to be with TIC.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 20-05-06 14:38:29

evan

I have done my training with TIC and recently finished my 40 hours.  Been very good and looked at BSM Red etc even though I had a local trainer in mind.  Now more or less have a car sorted out.  I have just been in contact with my local trainer and we were discussing what my next move should be.

Now the query is according to TIC they will do my 20 hours training.  Whereas my local trainer thinks that he should be doing it.  Now what is the legal position does your sponsor have to do the 20 hours? or can someone sponsor you but have no requirement to provide the 20 hours.

Jellybean

Normally TIC will do your additional 20 hours, however you have to pay an additional fee of £100 I'm sure this is how they work it.

If you are happier with your trainer doing it and signing off the hours then that is fine. The choice really is yours. Ev

#4 21-05-06 07:10:28

sipin
Verified Member

If your local trainer wants to sign the ADI21T that is not a problem the form is to confirm that you have had the extra training from a ADI, but for over a year now the TIC have included the extra 20 hours training in the up front fee so it's very likely that you don't need to pay extra to the TIC, the TIC call it validation hours consisting of five half days 2 in class, 3 in car. I would get your moneys worth out of the TIC. And any extra from your local trainer

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#5 21-05-06 10:09:02

butt2
Verified Member

Im doing the additional 20 hours at the moment and can confirm that this is included within the course fees.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 21-05-06 10:21:18

evan

Im doing the additional 20 hours at the moment and can confirm that this is included within the course fees.

Interesting that it is included in the course fees. What about people who don't elect to go on a pink licence, do they get a refund for the 20 hours. Or are they allowed an extra 20 hours on top anyway. Ev

#7 21-05-06 12:12:00

sipin
Verified Member

For the people that don't want to go on the trainee licence they still can have the extra 20 hours but can have it at any time

#8 21-05-06 12:13:56

luchell

Interesting thought Ev, i know with Bsm the only course the 'non pinkies' were allowed to attend was the part three mock test yikes Not the 20 hours classroom we had for the pink licence. Yet we had all paid the same course fee :?

#9 21-05-06 18:19:38

Jellybean
Verified Member

Well that could be interesting.  Because I actually paid my money 4 years ago so my contract was probably different.

Also they have an arrangement with BSM.  I had a meeting with BSM and I asked the question about whether they charge for the 20 hours and the lady said that TIC do the 20 hours.

I think my sponsor was expecting to do the 20 hours.   I think he thinks if he is signing the form then he should give the training.  But I will need some extra training anyway.  At this moment in time despite the 40 hours I could not go out and teach someone.  If I was him I would be thinking I don't want to sign a form to say she had had extra training from an ADI but I have no idea what it was like. 

This could get interesting.  I think I will be on to TIC on Monday am, he, I know is going to speak to the DSA so I might call them as well.

When I asked TIC about the 20 hours they said it is all done in 1/2 days.  Well that is such a waste of time for me.  They are 40 miles away so a 1/2 day to me actually takes up most of the day. It takes nearly 2 hours to get there and another 2 to get home.  I did say it really needed to be full days to me but I can't see it happening like that as part is classroom based.  They will only want to do that bit when they have sufficient numbers to run a class.  I think I might be sounding a bit sceptical really.  lol

Of course my ideal would be TIC pay my sponsor to give me the 20 hours.  Sounds the perfect solution to me.  But I did just see a spotted pig fly past. :joker:

Jellybean big_smile

#10 21-05-06 18:24:01

evan

Strange Jellybean, because I was of the impression that the days were split into half day classroom (4 hrs) and 2 days car (2 x 8 hours). That's the way they used to do it anyway. Ev

#11 21-05-06 20:30:44

Jellybean
Verified Member

Evan Part 3 was done like that.  I will check up on that point when I ring them because I did ask the question at the meeting after we finished our part 3.  So I will make sure I didn't misunderstand them.  Thanks

Jellybean

#12 21-05-06 20:31:43

sipin
Verified Member

The way TIC split the 20 hours now is into 5 sessions numbered 21 through to 25

Session 21 upto 1/2 day in class
Session 22 upto 1/2 day in class
Session 23 upto 1/2 day in car
Session 24 upto 1/2 day in car
Session 25 upto 1/2 day in car

The sessions can be booked in any order so you could end up doing 23 before 21 after 25 ? ? ? ? and they always try to put as many PDI's in the classroom as they can  :read: and 2 PDI's in the car.

#13 21-05-06 20:45:19

evan

Which is where the problems arise, because each PDI does not get 20 hours instruction on a 1-1 basis.

Session 21 4hrs
Session 22 4hrs
Session 23 2hrs
Session 24 2 hrs
Session 25 2 hrs

Sessions 23 to 25 are shared so the most you will get is two hours practice. That shows a shortfall of 4 hours, when the DSA states that there must be 20 hours completed per candidate.

Ev

#14 21-05-06 21:11:19

sipin
Verified Member

Evan you are correct and personally I think the training should be 1 to 1 but even the DSA accept it as ok because the person in the back can still be learning from the person in the front, just chatting with each other we all can learn

How about this for an idea, we should teach learners in pairs too  :? no have 3 learners in the car or even buy a people carrier and teach 6 at a time.

I think I'm getting OTT now must of been my last pupil trying to aquaplane today

#15 21-05-06 21:17:44

Jellybean
Verified Member

Part 3 was done on the same basis.  So no you didn't get actually 40 hours.  There were 8 of us in the classroom.  Which I must admit was better than I anticipated but the afternoon in the car was 2 trainee's per car.  So you really got one chance to have a go.  I did find it useful to have the other trainee in the car and you could help one another but it did cut the time in half.

I did tell TIC I wasn't happy and I got called into the office to ask me how it was going.  I made my point to them that I wasn't impressed and didn't like the 2 to 1 training.  I blame everyone on this forum because since joining this forum and reading all the posts and differing opinions I wasn't actually expecting too much.  big_smile big_smile I got about as much as I expected.

I can not complain too much as the contract said they will train me till I pass.  Well as I had to give up 4 years ago and have come back and they have without any comments retrained me and provided all the books again etc.

But I will complain and stir up a stink because I actually have had really bad toothache for 3 days and I am in a foul mood.  No because the DSA say 20 hours and TIC aren't going to give me the 20 in the way it is meant to be given.  I know TIC will justify it every which way but it is a mass production system and wrong. 

Jellybean

#16 21-05-06 21:20:47

luchell

Same as my forty hours training for my pink Ev. Shared it should have become 20 hours to be honest but i got more like 15 as the other person really needed the passenger seat/instructor seat more neutral.

Alot was also classroom with 14 others.

#17 21-05-06 21:29:50

evan

I think we are all talking the same language sipin.

It's interesting that whilst the training bodies, and the DSA seem to endorse this type of training, (don't get me wrong there is no doubt some time in the back seat is good, you can pick up a lot from watching others), there appears to be a shortfall in what is being learned in that 40 hours.

Candidates need more time to fully grasp and practice the role play scenario, they also need to know, how to deliver effective teaching methods, in order to have any chance of achieving a part 3 pass.

What is obvious, from all the debates regarding this issue, is that the training needs of many PDI's are not met adequately, hence the many posts for help on this forum, and the amount of PDI's seeking extra tuition, from independent trainers after their 40 hours. Ev

Board footer