You are not logged in.

#1 15-05-06 17:50:11

madison

Squeaky brakes

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help me, my brakes were squeaking (i could only hear them when i had the window open) i wasn't too worried as my car was due a service anyway. I had it serviced on Friday and i hoped the squeaking would have disappeared, so i had my window down on the way to work this morning to listen out and was pleased when i couldn't hear the brakes squeaking, but this evening i put the window down as is was quite warm and low and behold the squeaking back again!!  :cry: although it's not as bad as before it's still there, does anyone have any advice as to whether i should contact the garage that done the service about this or just leave it?

Thanks,

Madison x

15-05-06 17:50:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Squeaky brakes

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-05-06 18:37:09

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

Before contacting the garage, just try a few emergency stops! Really bang the brakes on - that will often solve the squeaking. Good luck and unlike the emergency stop, please remember to check your mirrors BEFORE you cure the squeaky brakes!!

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

#3 15-05-06 20:49:59

adi
Verified Member
Website

I wouldn't worry too much, it's usually dust or fine grit causing the squeal. Some brake pads come with thin 'shims' to help stop the sqeal, without them everyone would most likely be going around squealing! They just might not be working so effectively in your case! Don't lose any sleep!

#4 15-05-06 21:10:05

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Try dabbing a bit of grease onto the discs

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#5 15-05-06 23:29:53

la.monikita
Verified Member

but not Vaseline yikes, it's called copper grease, not really a grease as we know it wink

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 16-05-06 07:29:05

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Do NOT put any form of grease on the discs.

The copper grease goes between the pads and the pistons which is also where the shims are if there are any fitted

#7 17-05-06 17:36:48

madison

Thanks for the advice everyone, i've noticed a lot of cars with squeaky brakes recently so i'm not the only one!! Plus it didn't seem as bad today  smile

#8 20-05-06 00:27:15

den676
Verified Member

It's just something that happens, usually when the pads are a bit worn. when you eventually get them replaced it will stop.

#9 20-05-06 06:15:27

eric d
Verified Member

Hiya Madison, I Had the same problem with my astra, went back to 2 different dealers and both said the brakes are fine and that some just squeak, usually on hotter days.Nothing they could do and when brakes are changed it will stop. Something to do with how the brakes wear apparently.

Anyway I sorted mine out when I sold the car last week, someone elses prob now  :afro:

Eric

Board footer