You are not logged in.

#1 06-05-06 17:46:51

DampDog
Verified Member

Sat Nav

Been thinking about treating myself to a SatNav for a little while now, but I've got a couple of question I hope you peeps can help me with.

1. Can you create you own routes a > b > c > d.
2. How good are they at finding post code locations.

Also I think some of them have a "Home" button so when you're completely lost you can hit the button and it will work out the route home.

I was thinking of getting a "TomTom One" as these appear to get good reviews and are reasonably cheap now at £220 ish.

Any comments welcome
DD

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

06-05-06 17:46:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sat Nav

#2 06-05-06 18:54:58

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

I've got a Tom Tom Go 300 and wouldnt be without it.
I am not sure about the routes a,b,c,d but it does do postcodes and 'home', you can save favourite routes etc. I had a fixed sat nav in my last car a Rover 75 and it wasn't a patch on the Tom Tom.
You can also buy very cheap upgrades on the internet to show you all the speed cameras and numerous other things from Kentucky fried chicken outlets to Police Stations
Mike

Part (1) 20/01/06  Maidstone pass 98/66
Part (2) 09/03/06  Maidstone pass 5 minors
Part (3) 30/01/07  Hither Green Pass 4/5

#3 06-05-06 18:58:01

DampDog
Verified Member

Thanks for that Iwade... big_smile

I noticed your avatar "I've got the car, now for part 3" Piccy is a new Yaris that what you got? I quite fancy one of those or just maybe a VW fox.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#4 06-05-06 18:59:15

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

Yep thats the one a 1.4 diesel

Mike

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 06-05-06 19:03:06

DampDog
Verified Member

Yep thats the one a 1.4 diesel

How you finding it, ok? Did you get it with duals or are they coming later?

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#6 06-05-06 19:04:32

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
You can to some extent create routes by designating way points.
Post codes are found alright bearing in mind that 1 postcode might cover a 100yd stretch of road, however some businesses use a post code which differs from that of the road on which they are located, as an instance I know of a hotel just off the M58, instead of directing you off the M/way at the nearest junction and round a short route to the front door, the Sat Nav takes you off the motorway at a different junction and about 3miles out of your way to arrive at the hotel's backdoor.
I know of at least one place where the described route to the final destination is down a road that requires a 4x4.
I don't think that if I was in Essex and lost, it would be a good idea to find a route to my home in Lancashire, it would be better to just enter the name of a large town nearby and get there.

The home location in memory is so that you don't have to keep keying in regular destinations and the memory will hold quite a lot of those.
Mind you if they are regular destinations why do you need the satnav.

I have one available for long trips where I may have to stray from my preplanned itinerary due to holdups, even then a reasonable knowledge/awareness of geography is useful after all if you are heading south to London and find out that the M1 is blocked ahead and you are try to go across country to the A1 you might find it annoying as i did that the damn satnav kept trying to redirect me back to the M1.
I could have stopped and spent some time entering a new waypoint, but that would have taken as long as checking a road map, so I just ignored it until it finally accepted that the A1 was now a better route to where i was going.

#7 06-05-06 19:08:22

DampDog
Verified Member

Sounds generally good enough to warrant £200 or so, it's not a fortune in the scheme of things, I'll start to have a proper look around next weekend.

Thx

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#8 06-05-06 19:11:20

pj
Verified Member

Found they do tend to take you the long way round, has in the past tried to send my london cabbie husband the wrong way up a one way street, I love ignoring it , she gets very annoyed lol someone told me if you programme german into it it sounds even funnier when you ignore it lol

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 06-05-06 19:12:56

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

I think it's great, good mpg about 50 average. Nice crisp diesel engine. Love the dials and accessories and fairly basic insode but enough to make it comfortable. I bought the T3 with air con, electric mirrors etc.

I did a deal and got the duals thrown in with a normal spare wheel and tyre, as it only comes with a space saver. I am very pleased with it especially mpg. If I had a complaint I would say it was a little noisy inside when the engine is cold but it's not enough to worry about and goes when the engine is warm. It has great vision and is very easy to drive.
If you go to the website www.toyota.co.uk you can actually build your car on there and check out the prices but obviously you need to go in to a dealer to secure a good deal.
Mike

#10 07-05-06 18:10:52

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I use a Tom Tom 500, i have found that is will connect to my mobile with bluetooth and enable me to use it as a hands free, with text messages flashing up on the screen, you can even reply to the message on screen.

It will update you on traffic routes that are busy, if your mobile is set up for internet connection.

It tells me where all the speed cameras are, including mobile, Ghats's, fixed and radar. (not that i need that  8) )

The full postcode search is good, its never taken me any where other than i want to be.

It has the fastest route option, and the shortest, if you may be running out of fuel. With very many points of interest IE: pubs,hotel,petrol station,theme parks, the list goes on.

I The thing i also like is, it tells you the name of the road you are on even if you don't set a route, how long it will take to get to your destination, how many miles you have driven and how many you have to go.
Oh and you can see on the screen if you are about to drive up a dead end road.

And yes you can plan routes to A B C and walking routes  smile

#11 07-05-06 18:46:08

DampDog
Verified Member

Thx Approved,

That's pretty much made my mind up for me to go for a TomTom. TomTom One looks really good value at the moment at around £220 but I just happened to noticed they've introduced a new range that are slightly wider and updated features so I may go for a 510.

Thanks anyway that's answered the questions on features and stuff

DD

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#12 09-05-06 17:37:42

Morgan
Verified Member

If you can afford it go for the 510, it has been improved over the 500. Probably one of the best upgrades is to the picking up a signal once you turn it on. the older models often took a few minutes plus depending on where you currently are in relation to when you last turned it off.

The problem PJ mentioned about them taking you the long way is often down to how you select your route option ie fastest or shortest etc. So always best to consider time when selecting as shortest could take you down all the cpountry lanes whilst fastest will kepp you on Mways or A roads as much as possible.

Having used several different models can say imho the TomTom is the best around, never leave home without it

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 09-05-06 20:29:46

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Morgan
The instance I mentioned above

I know of at least one place where the described route to the final destination is down a road that requires a 4x4.

actually involves setting fastest or shortest.
It is a little lane off a bypass directly to the college where I do some work, but no one in their right mind would ever use it.

#14 10-05-06 06:38:32

ExAdiNigel

I find Sat Nav fantastic.  No more worrying about glancing down to a printed sheet!  When I went down to meet a pupil in POrtsmouth, it took me to the prison rather than the hospital I was meeting the pupil at!  but then they were almost next door to each other! 

Wouldn't be without it for long journeys.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#15 10-05-06 07:10:35

Django

Don't even get me started about Sat Nav  :banghead: :banghead: wink

lol lol lol lol lol

#16 10-05-06 08:27:40

msdarcy721

I'm tempted. defo

have been shown how to make out a map >>>> just know i'm not very good at reading the little things. although the printed maps off the RAC site seem good. yet to follow their directions all the way to my destination yet lol lol  roll

would just feel happier and safer knowing there's 'somebody'  roll in the car actually knowing the route it's taking me, and that i'd more likely get there especially if i'm alone lol lol :banghead:

#17 10-05-06 08:39:22

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

It's good - not infallible, but good.

Maybe i should get online and update the maps on mine (convert my ipaq into a sat nav with bluetooth gprs receiver)... when driving recently through nottingham it tried to send me down a bus and taxi lane only.. and when driving through leeds the other week - a similar situation.

But, if you keep your wits about you and use common sense too it's great. Absolutely love it.

#18 10-05-06 13:46:58

Morgan
Verified Member

Hi Morgan
The instance I mentioned above

actually involves setting fastest or shortest.
It is a little lane off a bypass directly to the college where I do some work, but no one in their right mind would ever use it.

I know you do get the odd issue, mostly from new road layouts, bypassess or some other new feature..have had a few odd ones involving unsuitable roads.
Tom Tom have a feedback section to let them know of issues. I have done so several times now and in all instances they were corrected in the next update.

#19 10-05-06 14:57:06

Gizmotime
Administrator

I wouldn't have sat nav given to me let alone buy one :banghead:

#20 14-05-06 23:56:33

Andi

I love mine! purely, simply....luv it!!

Had to arrange for Navman to have mine back thouh cos it broke....but hey'....no worries i got a new one!

Couldnt live without it now, got used to that little voice stuttering in the car...T,T,Turn Left.... lol lol

1.gif

#21 15-05-06 13:35:32

sparkle

Don't even get me started about Sat Nav  :banghead: :banghead: wink

lol lol lol lol lol

me too

maps maps & more maps..ohh and local knowledge and good map reading skillls and that  big_smile ;D

i had a sat nav last year and hated it..took me around all the !!!!!!!! busy roads here...well it TRIED to until i diverted off and went the PROPER way!!! load of old tosh!

#22 15-05-06 15:17:06

Morgan
Verified Member

Why would you use Sat Nav or even maps when driving around an area you know well  :?

Surely the idea is to use them when trying to go places you don't know.

#23 15-05-06 17:29:11

sparkle

Why would you use Sat Nav or even maps when driving around an area you know well  :?

.......but...........why not use maps? I like to see the bigger picture before hand..

#24 15-05-06 17:44:07

Django

Had a guy trying to find us today with a sat nav. Couldn't find us lol lol lol He had to phone me for directions. A damn fine investment methinks. :evil: lol lol lol lol

#25 15-05-06 17:45:16

BRAKE OR U WILL CRASH!

Morgan wrote:

.......but...........why not use maps? I like to see the bigger picture before hand..

cos sparkle as i've said before - i am hopeless with a map, pmsl
i take 10mins to find the start point, then get totally confused as to what way is what so another 5 - 10mins. then finally after mapping out the route which takes longer than the actual route is by road. I get there, and forget where to turn so have to keep pulling over etc. Causes me a lot of stress - for me when i am going somewhere i am unsure of, i plug it in and off i go lol leaves me less stressed. When doing little local stuff that i know the routes for i leave it at home. Sometimes wish i ahd it with me for an extra shortcut or two etc. especially now that i ahve a gazillion roadworks to get through just to get home lol

but maps and me are not good friends. Many people have tried to teach me how, parents, friends have. My ADI tried to help me on pass plus and agreed that map reading just isn't for me, takes me sooo long and i get so confused, then forget where to go, pmsl, take wrong turns and end up lost. Sat nav just continually redirects me when i go wrong, hahaha

Gemma
1st practical - 29/07/2005 4s 9m   2nd practical - 17/08/2005 1s 10m
3rd Practical - 8/09/2005 3s 6m  4th Practical - 12/10/2005 4 minor!!!
Pass Plus - Completed 4th Dec  Drives R reg Fiesta Chicane 2005-2009
Had an 09 Mazda2 Sport.
Now got my ZoomZoom 60 Mazda2 Sport.

Board footer