You are not logged in.

#1 22-04-06 16:03:09

madison

Tail-gaters

Hi, i was just wondering how everyone feels about/deals with tail-gaters??
They really drive me mad!!!  :x :x :x

22-04-06 16:03:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Tail-gaters

#2 22-04-06 16:08:52

msdarcy721

drivers that p1$$ me off the most i'm afraid. try my best to forget they're so love in with my behind that they're almost touching it :evil: tongue big_smile big_smile :banghead:

#3 22-04-06 16:13:44

madison

Part of me just wants to slam my brakes on so they go straight into the back of me and it would be all their fault, but they're not worth damaging my beautiful car over  sad :x sad

#4 22-04-06 16:23:34

msdarcy721

hate that sort of intimidation on roads :x tail gaters

i do usually try and increase the gap between myself and the car in front, but still see 'em in rear view mirror :x

think they need to take a few chill pills before they get behind the wheel and out on roads, peeving off other drivers :x

found, as a learner that this sort of behaviour was quite off putting. yip would put them in my worse type of driver category sad

#5 22-04-06 16:33:38

madison

In a recent poll tail gaters were voted as the most hated drivers

#6 22-04-06 20:28:05

ExAdiNigel

One company I used to do NDIS work for used to suggest the idea of washing your windscreen with the idea that as the wiper blade passes through the jet the water splashes over the roof onto the tailgator - can work very effectively.  It is VERY important to make sure you don't do this more than once, maybe twice at the very most.  Heard of a chap who tried this method and I would suggest he tried it a few too many times because the driver behind pulled in front, stopped and got out with a baseball bat, said "you like games do you" and proceded to do 3 grands worth of damage to the chaps merc!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#7 22-04-06 20:40:03

posh
Verified Member

the trouble is the tailgators just dont know if you are going to have to brake suddenly for anything at all and should  know better, but still some numptys do it, it annoys me when i see people do it behind a learner, what if the learner stalls? which can happen as some learners get nervous when they see someone so close behind in their rear view mirrors.

#8 22-04-06 20:42:57

msdarcy721

yikes yikes gosh made me giggle a little tho :oops: :oops:

my dad described the same sorta thing to me the other week i was a little bit shocked when i first heard of it (he mentioned something about fooling the car behind :?) didn't really follow. can't say i've given it a go yet, but judging by guy in your example dont think it'll be doing it too often lol lol

think he picked the technique up from an advanced driving training course he did some years ago. if it serves its purpose tho can't be a bad thing.

would like to see tail gaters just really make a conscious effort to change their attitudes before they get in the car. calm down a bit too, i think if they did, their journeys wouldn't be as stressful neutral

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 22-04-06 21:21:23

madison

One company I used to do NDIS work for used to suggest the idea of washing your windscreen with the idea that as the wiper blade passes through the jet the water splashes over the roof onto the tailgator - can work very effectively.

I've actually done that on a few occassions and it did work. I must admit though one night, i was fed up with this prat who was so close behind me i couldn't see his headlights!! that i gave him the finger, he soon backed off after that!! But it just shows how close he was, it was a dark night and he still saw me do that!!

#10 22-04-06 21:34:55

DrivenMad
Website

My hubby was tailgated by one of those buses that take you on coach hols, on a country road...it was ridiculous as to why he was doing it with a bus full of passengers. roll

Tailgators actually look so silly..IMO..  a vehicle right up the back of another looks like they are playing a game of 'chasey' roll big_smile

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5972/iconexclaimhm6.gif[/img][/URL] www.sleepinggirls.co.uk - for girls AND boys!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 22-04-06 21:40:38

msdarcy721

Tailgators actually look so silly..IMO..  a vehicle right up the back of another looks like they are playing a game of 'chasey' roll big_smile

silly and dangerous. especially when they don't take into account traffic/weather conditions, only thinking of themselves (well not really since they're really not looking after themselves on the roads) acting in the way that they do.

moan over :x just really peeve me off these peeps. encountered it quite a lot lately :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :monkey: :x :x :x

#12 22-04-06 21:44:15

madison

I wish we could get big illuminated signs in the rear window that flash 'BACK OFF' at the press of a button!!

#13 22-04-06 21:53:31

Myboysmum

I had a woman do it to me when I was on my way home from work (7.30am, me very tired and not the happiest of bunnies). She was so close all i could see was the inside of her car!!! I touched (only touched) the brakes, she started to give me a load of mouth so I gave her the finger and a few more signals and she did drop back.

I hate people who feel they need to ride on my bumper. :x :x

A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A, M.D or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a J.O.B.         
Fats Domino.

Passed theory 35/35 & 52/75
Test passed 3 minors!!!    I'm free

#14 22-04-06 21:55:01

msdarcy721

yip. good thinking lol lol if they'd actually spot them :evil:  roll

check this site out, describes some of the bad habits that emerge on our roads today (mainly on motorways) all a bit of a p1$$ take out of 'em. but makes for a bit of light hearted reading.

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk

#15 22-04-06 21:55:25

Myboysmum

I wish we could get big illuminated signs in the rear window that flash 'BACK OFF' at the press of a button!!

I agree. The police have them that say 'SLOW DOWN'. I think we should all have them, it would be even better if they were on sensors so we wouldn't need to think about it.

A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A, M.D or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a J.O.B.         
Fats Domino.

Passed theory 35/35 & 52/75
Test passed 3 minors!!!    I'm free

#16 22-04-06 21:58:47

DrivenMad
Website

yip. good thinking lol lol if they'd actually spot them :evil:  roll

check this site out, describes some of the bad habits that emerge on our roads today (mainly on motorways) all a bit of a p1$$ take out of 'em. but makes for a bit of light hearted reading.

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk

looks interesting, have put that in my favourites to read later wink

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5972/iconexclaimhm6.gif[/img][/URL] www.sleepinggirls.co.uk - for girls AND boys!!

#17 22-04-06 22:08:32

madison

msdarcy721 wrote:

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk[/url]

Thanks, that's a funny site!!  ;D

#18 23-04-06 08:27:29

Moominhater

I know it' hard guys, but just try to ignore them - I know they are a pain in the bumper, but try to concentrate on what your doing.  Leave a bigger gap from you and the car in front, so if you do have to stop in an emergency the car tailgating you won't push you into the car in front.

I had a guy the other day, I'm sure he was trying to check out my interior, usually they get bored with you sticking to the rules and overtake. If they are getting on your nerves, find a safe place to pull over and let them go past. 

Liz

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#19 23-04-06 11:00:52

ExAdiNigel

My hubby was tailgated by one of those buses that take you on coach hols, on a country road...it was ridiculous as to why he was doing it with a bus full of passengers. roll....

I hope he reported the driver to his company!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#20 23-04-06 16:28:51

irene1946

I am really sick of being tailgated, they probably do it because I am a learner. Found a nice little trick though, just flick my lights on and off, they are never sure whether you are braking or not, it usually makes them back off.

#21 23-04-06 16:34:06

Gizmotime
Administrator

It's something that you have to get used to unfortunatley, but you do get used to it. Makes you wonder how some of them passed there L test  roll

#22 23-04-06 16:35:10

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

You can - I picked up a moving message sign on e-bay for about £40 and have it fitted. Some drivers take notice, others ignore it or, more likely are not aware enough to realise.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#23 23-04-06 16:46:19

madison

madison wrote:

You can - I picked up a moving message sign on e-bay for about £40 and have it fitted. Some drivers take notice, others ignore it or, more likely are not aware enough to realise.

Thanks for that, are they easy to fit?

#24 23-04-06 16:49:28

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

MrBassMan wrote:
madison wrote:

Thanks for that, are they easy to fit?

The one I had has a cigarette lighter power connector. On my car I had to wire a 12v socket from the front (via a switch) to the boot.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#25 23-04-06 16:50:36

madison

How do you operate it??

Board footer