You are not logged in.

#1 09-06-04 14:25:54

Flip-flop

Just Failed!

I feel horrible lol ive had about 50 lessons and this is my first test! ive been ready for months but i was on a long waiting list and now i feel awful cos i failed sad my instructor was so shocked because he said i had nothing to worry about. The examiner said i went to fast, i didnt go past the speed limit bt he said i just was going to fast up to junctions but i didnt feel like i was driving any differently to usual!!!! its made me worry about what maybe different examiners expect, what shud i take from this?

Xx

09-06-04 14:25:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Just Failed!

#2 09-06-04 15:43:23

KARLF

My wife as failed 3 times the last with instructor in the car, and everybody apart from these three have said that she can drive

The really annoying apart is that the examinors have all said " you have proven that you can drive but......." not right if they say she can drive she should pass

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-06-04 16:38:17

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

'Can do it' and 'Can do it consistantly' are two different things.

To pass the test you need to drive consistantly well for the whole test. Saying you did the first 3 corners very well but mounted the kerb on the fourth will not cut it I'm afraid.

It sounds like she just needs more practice and learn to have better concentration.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#4 09-06-04 19:56:55

Liesa

Hi Flip-flop

Welcome to the site!

All examiners mark the driving test report in exactly the same way. When you're out on your test, due to the pressure that you're under, it can be easy to make mistakes that you wouldn't normally make.

I've sat in on driving tests myself, and just couldn't believe what my pupils were doing. In one case, the driver never checked their blind spot once, during the whole of the test, but swore blind that they'd checked it every time they needed to. The driver in question had always been very good at all obsrevations, and had never before missed a blind spot check! Another of my pupils who had always been able to bay park perfectly, everytime, failed their test on the bay parking manouver after ending up in 2 bays!  roll

I could go on but I'd be here all night, the point is don't feel too bad about the result, it's just that whilst under the immense presure of your driving test, you'll sometimes do things that you wouldn't normally do.

My advise to you is to ask your instructor if you can spend your next lesson going over speed on approach to junction etc. if nothing else it'll put your mind at ease.

Good luck with your next test and keep us informed.

KARLF

W hat was it your that your wife failed for?

The things that a driver will fail a driving test for, is anything that involves actual danger to themselves or anybody else, or a fault that is potentially dangerous to themselves or others!

Good luck to her on her next test, keep us informed.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-06-04 20:29:43

adi
Verified Member
Website

Liesa said

The things that a driver will fail a driving test for, is anything that involves actual danger to themselves or anybody else, or a fault that is potentially dangerous to themselves or others

I agree with this, but when a pupil fails because their wheel is slightly on the line when reversing into a bay and yet the rest of the drive was 'good' makes me wonder.

#6 09-06-04 20:58:57

Bob_FOADS

Fair point 'adi' but would you want to be parked in sainsburys when they park next to you just scraping a 'thin' layer of paint off your car? But that's a little off topic.

To take from the test...
Flip Flop, learn from the experiance. You now know exactly how a test is conducted, you know the sort of pressure you feel, the wya they give directions etc. etc.

A reson you may have not passed...
It sounds to me (I wasn't there so can only guess) that your driving may have been a little too confident for the examiner. The examiner has never seen you drive so is nervous themselves. If you keep coming up to junctions and slowing down just a little later then the examiner would like you'll be scaring the willies out of him each time.

Training and other options for improvment...
If you are at a good confident level then imagine the examiner is carrying a glass of water in his / her hand and you musn't spill it. It's not a race, just poodle around safely. Another one I sometimes do with extra confident / good pupils is get them to drive a circuit (junctions of all types but farily simple) without using the brakes. This encourages earlier slowing down (just gas off +  gear changes) and observation (so you don't have to stop). Obviously for the no brakes thing, do use them if you need them!

And finaly...
Don't panic, it's not the end of the world. Go for the test again, once passed you'll have 'till your 70 years old (licence is valid till then when you need a medical)  to drive so if it takes a while to pass it's no big deal in the long term.

#7 09-06-04 21:30:43

Midge
Website

Just one thing, Bob, you don't need a medical at 70, you just state that you are fit, unless someone informs the DVLA that you are not.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 10-06-04 07:51:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

Bob wrote

Fair point 'adi' but would you want to be parked in sainsburys when they park next to you just scraping a 'thin' layer of paint off your car? But that's a little off topic.

I knew someone would bite back! I totally agree with you Bob, i believe a pupils driving should be perfect with hardly any errors in order to pass, if the examiners were as harsh at marking as i am with mock tests then the pass rate would be about 5%! The point i am making is that i feel sometimes that test has about as much consistency as the British weather, and at times you can have a pupil go out and come back with 2 minors and be told they have failed over something pathetic like being 2mm on a line in a totally empty car park. At the end of the day it's a fail. But a frrustration non the less when you have to then wait 3 months for another test when the pupil can actually drive very well and totally safe.

#9 10-06-04 09:13:15

KARLF

the wive's instructor said that he could not see what she failed on,  reserves parking between cars, then minor errors were there he agreed 3 I think but not the big one.

To quote him " he was out to fail you "

He was in the back of the car due to the prevoius fails

if 3 have examinors have said it " you can drive " that sounds constant maybe it is the examinors who are not.

We did consider appealing but were informed that no appeal had be upheld at that test centre and that once you failed the result can not be changed.

Do I sound bitter   you bet I are seeing the stand of other driver who are on the road

#10 10-06-04 11:30:14

Gizmotime
Administrator

Midge wrote:

Just one thing, Bob, you don't need a medical at 70, you just state that you are fit, unless someone informs the DVLA that you are not.
Midge

I think what Bob meant was that when at the Age of 70,you have to get your Doctor to sign the form, to say you are FIT to drive,I only know because my Mum has had to do this.

sorry for butting in :oops:

Giz

#11 10-06-04 12:03:50

Midge
Website

Sorry Gizmo, my husband has reapplied for his licence at 70, and again at 73, and he most certainly didn't have to have a medical ar a doctors letter, he just stated that he was still fit, and signed.  If you have certain illnesses, such as diabetes,  you may need a doctors signature, and maybe if you are over eighty, but certainly not at 70, if you are fit.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#12 10-06-04 12:34:04

awaddington

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same position as Flip-Flop: I was GUTTED when I failed last month, for approaching 2 junctions too fast (I was going straight ahead at a crossroads both times).  Both my instructor & my husband (the only 2 who knew about the test) were very confident I'd pass.

It's very true that you do things on test you wouldn't normally, eg my back wheel went over the kerb as I turned left at one of the junctions - I'd NEVER done that before ...  (It was a very tight junction, though.)  The instructor went over junctions with me on the next lesson and said there's nothing wrong with my approach to junctions normally.

I also messed up the bay park at the end, as I couldn't see past the examiner, but at least I was still within the bay.  (BTW, for other learners, don't be afraid to ask the examiner to move if s/he's blocking your view - wish I had, now!)

It's so annoying paying £48 for the test, and have these things happen!!!  :evil: (I can only take the test on a Saturday, because of work.)

Besides, it's really frustrating that I now have to wait till SEPTEMBER ( :shock: ) to take it again!!!

Alison.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

#13 10-06-04 16:29:54

Flip-flop

I dont know weather to feel better or worse LOL i liked the reply about the examiners being nervous too, i never thought about it like that, the dont know how mnay lessons you've had or how 'good' you are so there bound to be weary. Its frustrating to say the least thou cos at least if something had happened it wud have been ennoying but i cuda said Oh well bad luck on the day but it was my normal driving lol. I think it was just because my instructor said ive been ready for months so we've been doing harder roads, busier junctions etc where speed is more important.

It is scary knowing how many tests one can have before they pass, i dont wanna get my hopes up cos ill be let down but at the same time im gunna want to pass so bad the 2nd time. The worse thing is once you have failed once you feel like you could fail forever,  whats to say u will ever pass? AHHHHH its a horrid thought lol

For the instructors out there: What does it feel like when one of ur students fail? for the first time or even the 4th time!?

xxxx

Oh and yeah the cost is the worst 40 pound plus a 2 hour bookin with ur instructor! Jeeezzz

Board footer