You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-04 13:39:52

sallyb

Overtaking bus at bus stop

A bus is stopped at its stop and I am approaching from behind on a busy road. There is a side road to the right almost opposite the bus stop. I stop well behind the bus as I am prevented from overtaking by oncoming traffic. Do I signal my intention to overtake the bus as early as possible or do I wait and only signal right when there is a gap in the oncoming traffic? 

Generally when overtaking when should I cancel the right indicator

07-06-04 13:39:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Overtaking bus at bus stop

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-06-04 14:20:18

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

If you position correctly, there is no need to signal at all as your road position will indicate to others what you plan to do. In fact, with a side road like that, a signal could be confusing as people may think you are going to turn right,

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#3 07-06-04 14:29:17

sallyb

Hmmm...what if there was no side road? Surely I must indicate to show my intention of overtaking???

#4 07-06-04 15:06:50

Midge
Website

Just remember, the signal is to say you intend to move out, there is no signal that means you are going to overtake something.  Signal, if neccessary, to move out, so that you can see when the road is clear to overtake, but cancel it as soon as you are in position.  Everyone should then know what you intend to do  when it is safe.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 07-06-04 15:10:40

Liesa

Hi Sallyb

If you position correctly, there is no need to signal at all as your road position will indicate to others what you plan to do. In fact, with a side road like that, a signal could be confusing as people may think you are going to turn right,

This is very good advise, however there are times when you will need to signal to pass a staitionary vehicle.  The 1st thing you should ask yourself is, will my signal help anyone?  Then ask yourself will the signal be misleading to anybody? i.e. could they think I'm about to turn into a side road or pull in?

It's hard to give advise on this subject, without actually being in situ with you at the time, this is because you need to see the whole picture, before making a decision on whether to signal or not!

Sorry if it's a bit vague but as long as you follow the above, you should be able to work out whether or not a sginal is nessesary. wink

If there wasn't a side road the situations slightly different, again a correctly positioned vehicle would indicate to all around what you intend to do. Make sure you sit out wide, this will mean that the driver of the bus is more likely to be able to see you, when you are passing them, which in turn means they are far less likely to move off with you at the side of them.

As far as signals are concerned use the common sense which I'm sure you have, and signal if you think it's nessesary wink

Let us know how it's goes next time you find yourself in this situation, and if there's anything else I can help with just ask :!:

#6 07-06-04 17:08:54

Badger

A lot depends upon how long the bus is going to be there.  Look down the aisle of the bus and at the bus stop and see how many people are getting on or off the bus.

If its one person getting off then just relax and wait for the bus to move off shortly.  One person getting on possibly a little longer becase they have to pay.

Remember the signal is as much for the benefit of the bus driver as anyone else. So watch out for the bus's right indicator.

Otherwise a correct overtaking position is a signal in itself in many cases by virtue of the cars 'body language'.

To summarise  -    if a signal will help, and clarify,  and not confuse,  then use it.

Badger

Board footer