You are not logged in.

#1 03-06-04 10:20:38

Natalie

The AA/Franchises & Trainee Licences

Are there are any instructors out there that have or have had a franchise with the AA.  I am currently studying for my part 2 but thought I would do some research for when I finally get to the franchise stage.  Hope its not wishful thinking.

Anyway I have been looking into the AA and it sounds a good deal with new car every 6 months and insurance paid for etc.  Are there are downfalls I need to look at.

Also they don't take on trainee licences and I am currently stook in a job I hate and was thinking of doing this.  Does anyone know of anywhere that takes on trainee licences with a good franchise deal at the end of it.

Am I asking too much????

Thanks Nats

03-06-04 10:20:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The AA/Franchises & Trainee Licences

#2 03-06-04 18:25:38

Liesa

Hi Nats

Well done on passing part one big_smile

The best thing you can do is ring around several of the local driving schools and ask if they take on trainees. If they do, arrange an appointment so that you can go in and have a chat, and find out exactly what they will be able to offer you.

Ask if you can see a copy of the contract, and if you can take a copy away with you, to look over at your leisure.

Make sure you read every last detail in the small print, that way you won't get caught out at a later date.

All of the national schools except the AA do take on trainees, but be warned it's probably not a good idea to go full time untill you qualify. The most important thing at this stage, is to get that green badge, working full time as an instructor can be very demanding.

Hope this helps wink  and let us know how things go!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 04-06-04 05:39:11

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

LDC take on trainee licences and they have a very good franchise fee. At present i pay £94.25 a month YES month!!!

I currently lease my own car £79.00 week + insurance £11/week, thats it for my fixed costs, although i have just ordered a new car, which will cost me £61/week loan.

The only other costs we incur are pupil generation fees, if LDC get us work we pay! 

We also control our own diary and get our own work, so its more of a self employed basis!

#4 04-06-04 06:11:02

Ozzie

How much are pupil generation fees?

If you supply the car and you pay for the pupils, what is the £95 a month for? Nearer the point, you pay for the car and the pupils, why pay a franchise anyway?

Ozzie

#5 04-06-04 07:02:11

Badger

I dont understand why anyone who leases/buys  their own car AND finds their own pupils needs to pay any sort of franchise fee.

Most people join a franchise for a car and customers.

What Robbie is doing is paying £23 a week for a pupil finding service which is probably cheaper than advertising.   I dont know  -   I dont advertise.

Thing is - do you still pay when you are running a waiting list ?

Badger

#6 04-06-04 07:06:16

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I am still working towards part 3 but the glossies I have been given indicate that the pupil generation fee varies according to the number of lessons pre-booked. 1 lesson booked, fee=1 lesson, 10 lessons booked, fee=25%. So LDC work on a low franchise fee but higher generation fees - it encourages you to get your own pupils by referal or local advertising but you do not have to.

The £95 per month covers use of the LDC logos and ability to use/buy LDC produced training materials. (Books, CDs. Videos etc.). It gives new pupils greater confidence to start with you because they are 'dealing' with a national company.

As for why pay it instead of setting up on your own? Well that is each person's individual choice and it's nice to have that choice. It depends on how confident or able you are in running a business from scratch, it depends on your ability to self-generate enough pupils at the start, it depends on how fast you need a full diary, it depends on lots of things.

I have yet to make that decision and I will make it nearer the time - I like the fact that I do not have to make it yet.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#7 04-06-04 08:11:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi Robbie,
I have seen you around Shrewsbury. Reading your post would it not be better to put the 94.00 towards an advert in the yellow pages promoting 'your own' school? The only reason i say this is because when your pupils pass you may find that they will always say 'i passed with ldc' rather than with Robbie. Many of the future leads may end up with another ldc instructor rather than coming to you. I found this was happening when i first started out and i was with the AA. My pupils were recommending me as an  AA instructor, but people were then contacting the AA and not me, thinking they may automatically be allocated to me! I then went alone and haven't looked back since. I can understand the benefits of franchises especially when it comes to the support and back up for when things go wrong, but if you supply your own car and insurance and run your own diary you are 95% self sufficient anyway so why not go the whole way. This year the Shrewsbury/Herefordshire yellow pages is being divided to cover smaller areas so advertising should now come alot cheaper.

#8 04-06-04 15:54:41

Natalie

Thanks for all this guys.  I have been looking into LDC and the AA but on paper I can't work out which would be best for me.  I would prefer to not to go on to a trainee licence but was curious.

Do you think it is worth speaking to the AA and LDC and going to see them or should I wait until I pass my part 3?

Thanks Nats

#9 04-06-04 17:06:42

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Like Robbie and Mr BassMan I'm with LDC you have nothing to lose by having a chat with which ever francise provider you are looking at joining and ask lots of questions and see what they have to offer you.
Go on give them a call and see what they have to say 01977 792000 is the number for the training dept.
Good luck

#10 05-06-04 06:24:26

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

adi, i know what you are saying, but i do get a fair bit of business where people see me about, like you! and as you may have noticed i am the only LDC instructor in shrewsbury at the moment, so if they do contact the call centre all the work comes direct to me anyway!  Then its up to me if i want to take the job.  Also when pupils pass with me and they tell their mates, they usually give them my number anyway, and i give them a £10 virgin voucher in return once friend  has taken or paid for 10 lessons!

Now the £94.25/ month covers things like use of logo, website entry (www.learnerdriving.com) yellow pages, and yell.com entry, plus we get books to SELL to our pupils each year, and also the stickers on our car are included in that!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 05-06-04 06:47:26

Ozzie

Robbie wrote:

adi, i know what you are saying, but i do get a fair bit of business where people see me about, like you! and as you may have noticed i am the only LDC instructor in shrewsbury at the moment, so if they do contact the call centre all the work comes direct to me anyway!  Then its up to me if i want to take the job.  Also when pupils pass with me and they tell their mates, they usually give them my number anyway, and i give them a £10 virgin voucher in return once friend  has taken or paid for 10 lessons!!

The above would be true of "Robbies Driving School" too. You do get noticed especially if you have a distinctive car, or well designed graphics on the car. However YOU will benefit rather than LDC. You will be the only Robbie in Shrewsbury, and there will be no LDC, so you already have more instructors than them. Personally I think you are wasting £95 a month, £1200 a year, that buys a nice ad in the yellow pages for "Robbies".

At the end of the day its your money, its your choice.

Ozzie

#12 06-06-04 06:38:22

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I know what you are saying ozzie, but as i only recently qualified in april 04, and havent quite done 12 months (july 14th), i still feel i need the support from above, and as i only just scraped through with a 4/4 i know i will be up for a check test quite quickly, so i will get all the help i need from training dept, with training at no cost.

I think once i have got 2/3 years under my belt, it is an option i have been considering since before even applying to be a driving instructor, and i think it is something that i will consider to help save money, especially if fuel costs keep rising!!!

#13 06-06-04 19:26:20

Ozzie

At the end of the day Robbie its your choice but that £95 a month, £1200 a year, becomes £3000 in 2.5 years time which buys you a lot of ads and some left over for check test training.

Its your choice, but are you looking for a reason to leave or an excuse to stay? I charge my instructors less than that AND supply all the pupils that they can handle.

Nothing personal, just food for thought.

Oz

#14 07-06-04 10:37:12

Natalie

Thanks for all this guys.  Just one other thing I am currently training with the Instructor college.  Do company's like LDC and BSM etc look at it that you should have trained with them etc and do they charge you whilst training because you are getting the experience from them.

Am I making sense?  :!:

#15 07-06-04 13:53:22

Ozzie

I trained with BSM, and I was told that BSM only take BSM trained instructors, however that was 10 years ago, and I assume that as long as you are reasonably competent BSM will be willing to take you on their books.

Oz

#16 07-06-04 15:32:17

Liesa

The big schools will take on instructors that weren't trained by themselves, you may find that they 1st want to run some kind of assesment on your teacing 1st.

On top of this most of them will jump at the chance to take on a female instructor, I remember when I went to talk to the manager at BSM he said female instructors are like gold dust. wink

#17 07-06-04 16:01:09

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

"Women: Like gold dust"

I know what you mean:
  Expensive to obtain
  Attractive, but not very practical
  Can slip through your fingers
  Easily lost

lol  lol  lol

Only joking!

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#18 08-06-04 06:06:46

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

LDC will take on instructors who have trained with another company or on their own !

When i was on my Franchise induction (jun03)  there was a guy there who was from another company!  his car even stil had marks of where the old decals had been..

The best thing is give Pat or Val a call on 01977 792000, they are the best people to advise you on LDC info!

#19 08-06-04 07:55:06

Natalie

Thanks I will give them a call.

Nats

#20 26-07-04 20:10:10

yellowandblack

I have a spreadsheet that can be available that works out for you income, expenditure, tax, Class 4 NI ,AA/ (or any other driving school)  variable franchise fee, fixed fee etc etc..and yes I am an AA instructor of 12 mths, so any advice you want...

cheers

Mark,.,.

#21 26-07-04 23:51:26

Lynne
Verified Member

I trained with BSM and went on a pink with them.  I know they take trainees from other schools, but this may depend on how much work they have in the area.  However BSM are VERY expensive and you'll be lucky to earn very much.

I left at Christmas and am now with the AA.  I'm very happy with them (now just got my second Focus).

PM me Natalie if you want any info.

Regards

Lynne

Board footer