You are not logged in.

#1 15-03-06 22:42:36

adam
Verified Member

new diesel car

hi all
picked up my new c3 yesterday and found it a joy to drive. i went for a diesel this time, thought i would give it a try see if it made much difference in fuel cost. learners seemed to like it today, took them a little time to get used to it mind! what i did find very different was before when i had a 1.1 petrol picanto, i would approach a closed junction in 3rd, as i got towards the give way lines and the vision improved slipped it into 1st and if it was clear go and if not stop. tried to do it in the diesel and it didn't like it!! the car really started rumbling and chugging in 3rd, put the clutch down and the car quickened up quite alot. is this normal with diesels? can you not get away with slow speeds in 3rd as much?? if so will have to start teaching approach slightly differently! using 2nd more perhaps!
adam

15-03-06 22:42:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: new diesel car

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-03-06 23:16:49

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Hi Adam, What colour car did you get, is it Pompey Blue.  big_smile
As for putting the clutch down earlier I have got a diesel Clio and yes have to get the clutch down earlier compared to a petrol version otherwise like you say it starts chugging. I have no problem on emerges getting speed down to walking pace a couple of car lengths from give way lines and then selecting first.  On approaching junctions I get the pupil to bring the speed right down especially if going to use second as the car can run away a bit. A diesel engine revs much lower than a petrol one as it has a lot of torque at low revs.

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#3 15-03-06 23:21:19

Russ
Verified Member
Website

I use C3 Diesel great car in my oponion, if approaching in 3rd if you judge 3 car lengths clutch down no probs, 2nd 2 car lengths  clutch downetc.

modern diesels have computer program in injection management to help stop stalling.

car will pul from 10 in 2nd, no gas 14 min in 3rd no gas, but gets better when run in.
if you want any info pm me.

russ

#4 17-03-06 18:38:03

kev146g
Website

Russ how many miles to a gallon do you get

kev
w w w.drivingschool.me.uk

#5 17-03-06 20:37:46

Russ
Verified Member