You are not logged in.

#1 26-05-04 09:22:22

MikeDrive

Indicate left whilst Reverse Parking?

My wife who is a learner is adamant that she should not indicate whilst reverse parking, because "her instructors never told her to".
My view is that the only time I would not indicate, is if there are no other road users near enough to need to be advised of my intentions and that there are unlikely to be any for the time it takes me to complete the manoeuvre.
When I asked her instructor about this he said it is not necessary to indicate, as approaching cars can tell from the reverse light what you are doing and that to do so could be too "robotic".
There are several points about this.
Firstly it takes my wife quite a while after stopping alongside the parked car behind which she'll park (after cancelling the left indicator!) to compose herself, look all around etc before engaging reverse. During all that time her intentions are unclear to all other road users, other than that we are stationary in the road and potentially holding up traffic flow. Even when reverse is engaged, all road users approaching us from the front remain unaware of our intentions. It is only after our manoeuvre has started, that the intention becomes clear.
My wife failed her first test simply for not reapplying the left indicator quickly enough after it auto cancelled on exiting from the first of two very close and small roundabouts. There were no other road users in sight and the view into all roads joining the junction was unobstructed. It seems robotics are required in order to pass now.
The male examiner also made small talk to her during the test. Is this permitted, as I know she still feels uncomfortable about it? At the very least it was distracting when she wanted to focus purely on something she finds very difficult.

26-05-04 09:22:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Indicate left whilst Reverse Parking?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-05-04 11:38:12

Midge
Website

Just two points, I'll leave others to go into more depth.  I don't know why she would be checking all round if she hasn't yet selected reverse gear, she's already checking the mirror (hopefully)when about to stop.  Sometimes a signal would be helpful for oncoming traffic, but if anyone is fairly close behind, when she is about to stop, she would be advised not to stop anyway, just abort the reverse park.
The examiners do their best to make the candidates feel at  ease.   Mostly, the candidate feels better if the examiner does make small talk.  In 20 years I've only ever had one pupil who didn't like this, and she just told the examiner to shut up because she couldn't concentrate.  She still passed.  So if your wife doesn't want the small talk, just tell the examiner so, hopefully a little more politely than mine did.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#3 26-05-04 12:02:40

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I agree with Midge about getting it in reverse as soon as possible - certainly before taking full observations. This is the most obvious and clear signal to any following driver that you are going to reverse park.

As for using a left indicator as a signal - consider this. If a driver in front of you starts to signal left what would you expect his/her next manoeuvre to be?  A left turn perhaps? Maybe pull in to park in front of the cars on the left? Or could it be a reverse park?

Hopefully you can see that a left indication at this point could be confusing as there are a number of potential meanings. Do you pull up behind the indicating car, or hold back? 

Reversing lights will make it very clear to following vehicles that they should hold back.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#4 26-05-04 12:37:45

MikeDrive

Point taken about politely asking for minimal small talk during the test, and I agree entirely about getting into reverse gear asap.
I still think oncoming traffic benefits from the clear indication that I am not about to cross their path e.g. by turning right without indicating, which we all see often. Whether I'll be going forward or back seems less important to oncoming traffic than the certainty they have that I intend to turn away rather than towards their path. If the subsequent manoeuvre does turn out to be a reverse, on coming traffic is already alert to the possibility of the front of my car moving out slightly at the beginning of the turn.

#5 26-05-04 16:22:25

Serpico
Verified Member

I had to have a little chortle to myself at the suggestion that one shouldn't attempt to parallel park if there is someone behind you as you approach. If you apply this mantra everytime you drive you'll spend half the day looking for a parking space that coincides with you not being followed.

All you need to do is apply a left signal as you approach the space, making it evident to the following car that you intend to park in the gap by slowing right down as you go alongside the space. If the following driver can't work out your intentions from that then they shouldn't be on the road. Which means by my reckoning you've got a 80:20 chance of not being blocked from behind smile

If the pupil leaves a left signal on as they reverse park on test then they shouldn't get marked down as the signal should be misleading at all.

Common sense conquers all.

#6 26-05-04 17:46:38

adi
Verified Member
Website

This is one of those subjects that can be thrown backwards and forwards all day long. I can see the point in not having to signal but if you are on a road with cars on both sides and only room for one car at a time, quite often  you see the oncoming driver pull in to let the learner past. If you signal, the oncoming driver knows that whether you are parking, turning into a side road, pulling in etc you are going to be getting out of the way and they can carry on through. If i am driving i do it to let oncoming traffic know they can come through or is this something that we as qualified drivers do but learners should be taught different? Once you start to reverse you can simply cancel it as it becomes more obvious what you are intending to do.

#7 26-05-04 18:27:47

Badger

If you pull up for a Parallel park in a meeting situation and a car appears at the other end of the meeting situation then a signal applied quickly will tell the other vehicle that you have stopped and it can come through. 

Read the road.

Use a signal if it will clarify the situation and help others otherwise dont.

Badger

#8 26-05-04 19:51:06

arib
Verified Member
Website

I'm not saying I don't get into this situation with my pupils but they are under instructions to give themselves a clear road before they move off if the potential to block the road is high. If a car comes as they are stopping then just pop the left indicator on to inform. Handbrake on and immediately into reverse. If there's room to reverse then continue, still looking for any danger.
I know of two occassions when it's been done on test and there's never been a problem with the examiners.

ariB

#9 30-05-04 08:46:53

Mike Geary

Midge & all

"Midge says the pupil should be checking mirror just before stopping"

I'd say that this is too late. It should checked well B4 stopping. Then you'd know whats behind, how close it is.
Based on info' you'd be better able to deside ........do I need a signal, ...maybe an earlier one,

It's all down to "TELLING" other road users what you intend to do, ( U can't SHOUT...i'm about to do.......)
So, the signals are  >>>>>>>..... Brake lights........Speed of vehicle...... signals .......By indicator and or by arm,

Think about what you want to do & how best to give "INFO' to any other road user.

Get the POINT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    Mike G<><><><>  ><><><><  .......

#10 30-05-04 12:59:58

Midge
Website

Serpico,
I have checked with our examiners locally, and they agree that it is correct to abandon the reverse park exercise if the following vehicle is too close before you have stopped or selected reverse gear.  I suppose different examiners may have different ideas, but here we have never had a problem doing it this way.  What I was saying was, as long as it was safe to stop, there was no point in looking all round before selecting reverse gear.

Mike Geary,
I didn't say that I  teach my pupils to check the mirror only just before they were ready to stop, I wouldn't have been able to keep going in this career for the years I have if I didn't know how to teach the correct use of mirrors.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Board footer