You are not logged in.

#26 14-03-06 11:53:15

msdarcy721

Re: First Solo Drive on the Motorway! Arrrggghhh!

I think you've made a very good point there, Graham. Driving isn't something that should be taken lightly. I just think that sammyj's lack of experience does not necessarily suggest that she cannot use them, safely. May be with some more practise with an experienced driver or doing pass plus might help her improve her confidence and ability to drive on motorways.

I just think that Sammyj's orginal post might have just been a little call out for a few tips/boost of confidence before she tackled the motorway alone.

I did pass plus with my adi last august, and as a young driver, i won't be driving on these types of roads alone until i feel confident about my own ability to do so and after some practise on them with an experienced driver, but not everyone's the same. My adi taught me a lot of things about how to ensure safe driving on the motorway - keeping safe distances, dealing with hgvs, making effective observation, lane changing, positioning, exiting a motorway, what to do incase of an emergency brakedown and other topics.. I felt this training and extra tuition i had was invaluable, although i still feel as though i need more experience before i really feel confident enough to tackle them alone.

14-03-06 11:53:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 14-03-06 11:57:13

Jewels

I'm currently doing pass plus at the minute and have only the motorway to do. Not been on one yet, thought it would be better to do it with someone who knows what there doing. I probably will be taking a couple of motorway lessons after too coz I'm soft ;D. But I am nervous just thinking about it to be honest & I will be probably even more nervous when it's the first time alone and in the dark as SammyJ said in the original post. I think that was what she was nost nervous about, driving at night on the motorway.

#28 14-03-06 12:03:41

Graham

Gizmo, me old mate.......

My comment about opinion was in response to Jewel's comment, I would hope everyone here respects other views, I know YOU do.

Which makes me wonder about you request to 'ease off the gas'.

Surely the forum exists to have an exchange of views. The posts may get emotive at times but that's no reason to stifle our views.

I hope I haven't been rude to anyone and surely that would be the only reason to 'back off'.

Until then I will respond appropriately.

And I'll still buy anyone a pint to accompany this discussion.......  wink

#29 14-03-06 12:07:21

markA.d.I

Do i smell a free beer !!!!!!!!

ha haha ha ..... does that include pork scratchings ?

I think its just the light hearted approach which has caused concern.
I would urge Sammy to look into pass plus, or at least a couple of hours motorway tuition.

#30 14-03-06 12:10:08

Jewels

I was not been rude Graham, just stating my opinion. No hard feelings wink smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#31 14-03-06 12:12:35

Graham

Jewels

Shes probably taken that route loads of times as a passenger & prob know it like the back of the hand. And it is after all common sense to plan out a journey either on a motorway or a long drive.

I seem to be repeating myself..

Again, what is the point of having a print out at night when driving alone on the motorway? I don't get it! There are no services between Southampton and Portsmouth.

If sammyj does know the route, what's the point of the print out? Again, tell me, I don't understand.

The whole point of my reply is that the journey is properly planned. Sammj's wasn't

#32 14-03-06 12:16:01

Jewels

Graham, I wrote that post half an hour ago. Whats the point of quoting everyone of my posts.
At the end of the day lets just hope SammyJ made the journey safely.

#33 14-03-06 12:23:31

SammyJ

Well welll well! I certainly wasn't expecting the sort of replies I got from Graham! yikes yikes
I'm sorry if you think I'm a stupid, careless, ignorant, naive and young driver. I may be a little naive I grant you as I only passed my test last August so what's that about six months ago. But take offence to you saying that I'm ignorant and careless. Yes, I know I only posted about three hours before I went out because I didn't have the chance to do so earlier. However, I had printed the map and route planner off the DAY BEFORE and I discussed the journey with my Husband who has been driving for 17 years and gave me advice and SUPPORT which is what I was hoping for from other members of this forum and not derogatory comments! :x I have as a matter of fact driven on motorways before many times with my Husband beside me and have been fine so me and my Husband thought I would be OK to tackle one on my own now.
Anyway, I was fine on the motorway and I was very careful. I stayed in the left hand lane and drove at a speed of about 60-70 mph all the time I checked my rear view and wing mirrors to keep an eye on the other motorists and NOT ONCE did I look at my directions or map because I had read them through several times before I left. I cannot believe that you suggested I would do something as stupid as to read them whilst driving along!!! :x   
I cannot tell you how upset I am by your comments - I am really shocked.
Thank you Moominhater, Gizmotime, Jewels, and LaMonikita (have I forgotten anyone?) for your kind words or advice and support - I really appreciate it. smile

P.S Graham - I am 33 and not 17.

#34 14-03-06 12:24:40

Graham

What's the point of posting, then ignoring any questions that arise as a result?

The point of quoting a previous post is to prevent people having to scroll back to find out what has been said earlier. It might only be half an hour to you, but to anyone reading this thread next week, the timescale is meaningless.

Please, if you are going to take the trouble to partake, don't ignore the bits that don't fit into your opinion.

And I'll still buy you a drink to help the discussion.... wink

#35 14-03-06 12:25:33

Jewels

Well Done Sammy, glad you had a safe journey big_smile.

#36 14-03-06 12:27:32

Jewels

Offf arnt we getting a bit hot under the collar. Sammy just wanted support from here thats all. And to end it all shes here, made it safely & well done to you Sammy.

Cheers for the drink Graham big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#37 14-03-06 12:30:16

Jewels

I was not been rude Graham, just stating my opinion. No hard feelings wink smile

Erm, just quoted this as you seem to of missed it. As I said I was not been rude.

#38 14-03-06 12:39:43

Moominhater

Sammy, I just hope that you haven't been put off asking for advice in the future.  Well done with your first solo trip.

Liz

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#39 14-03-06 12:42:56

DampDog
Verified Member

Way da go Sammy, glad you had a safe trip hope you enjoyed it too.

Don't know if I'll dare ask another question in this forum...... neutral neutral

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#40 14-03-06 12:44:25

Jewels

Jewels

Jewels wrote:

Shes probably taken that route loads of times as a passenger & prob know it like the back of the hand. And it is after all common sense to plan out a journey either on a motorway or a long drive.

I seem to be repeating myself..

Again, what is the point of having a print out at night when driving alone on the motorway? I don't get it! There are no services between Southampton and Portsmouth.

If sammyj does know the route, what's the point of the print out? Again, tell me, I don't understand.

The whole point of my reply is that the journey is properly planned. Sammj's wasn't

Where did I say she had a print out, I said planned. She probably remembered it. Please don't suggest things which I didn't say in the first place.

#41 14-03-06 12:58:12

SammyJ

Well Graham I printed off the map and route on Sunday, the day beore my intended journey so I could read it through and familiarise myelf with the route. The main reason fro printing it and taking it with with me was for when I came off the motorway and if I had needed to have a look at it i would have pulled over in a safe place to take a look at it - I am not stupid. Where I was going entailed going on some A roads (A27 and A2030) and negoiating several roundabouts and interchanges so I took them with me to check them if I needed to.   

#42 14-03-06 12:59:14

Graham

Good to hear your response sammyj.

And I'm genuinely sorry that you have been hurt by the response you got.

And also by the fact that the truth sometimes hurts.

However, you should not take too much comfort in the response given by some replies.

Please quote my post that said you were stupid, careless, ignorant etc.

I cannot find it.

By 'young driver', it's a common term for people who are new to driving. I had no idea of your age or sex when I replied.

The fact that you had to print off directions to aid this specific journey was a response to another reply. It clearly implied you would use it during the trip or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

I have asked several times for someone to explain the reasoning behind this, but I'm still waiting. That's one of the reasons why I caution you before taking comfort in some replies given.

I don't hold with the view that you did all you could to make this journey safe. You clearly didn't or you wouldn't have made such last ditch attempt to get advice. You didn't have chance to ask before? Then the journey wasn't planned properly was it?

If you were so nervous about the journey (now I'm using your words here, not something I've made up) why do it? Why not wait until you have the appropriate experience?

It's all very well pushing yourself to gain experience, that's something to be commended. I would encourage anyone to do that. But you have to balance those times with the experience already gained. In this instance you clearly didn't feel you had that.

The point I've been trying to make all along is that you were effectively trying to run before you could walk. Why didn't you take instruction or have someone sit in whilst you drove on the motorway at night? If you are nervous beforehand, then trust your own feelings. They're telling you that you're not ready. Please read that in conjunction with my comments above.

As I said in my first reply, if you think my comments are harsh, that's nothing to the pain you could have brought to many people last night.

#43 14-03-06 13:07:12

SammyJ

Good to hear your response sammyj.

And I'm genuinely sorry that you have been hurt by the response you got.
Are you? That's not the impression I'm getting......
The fact that you had to print off directions to aid this specific journey was a response to another reply. It clearly implied you would use it during the trip or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

I have asked several times for someone to explain the reasoning behind this, but I'm still waiting. That's one of the reasons why I caution you before taking comfort in some replies given.
I have replied to this question - see my earlier post^If you were so nervous about the journey (now I'm using your words here, not something I've made up) why do it? Why not wait until you have the appropriate experience?

Because I had no choice. I had a meeting to go to and there was no other way of getting there. If there had of been I wouldn't have driven.

As I said in my first reply, if you think my comments are harsh, that's nothing to the pain you could have brought to many people last night.
Thank you very much.

#44 14-03-06 13:07:47

Django

But that's a whole world away from taking foolish risks when you are not confident, prepared and well trained. Sammyj was none of these.

Confident I'll grant you Graham.

Prepared? By printing off a route she would then know what motorway exit she needed. What other info does she need?

Well trained? She passed her test so she must have been well trained.

I print off routes sometimes when going somwhere different. Not always just sometimes. It doesn't mean that I read it while driving. If it envolves going on a motorway all I need to remember is a number. This I put to memory before I leave the house.

You seem to be reading stuff in SammyJ's post that wasn't there. Everyone I guess is at least a little apprehensive of their first Motorway experience I see Sammy's no different than anybody elses.

Just my opinion of how I read it.   smile

#45 14-03-06 13:14:52

Moominhater

I am the same as Django.  I used to print off maps of where I was going, main purpose incase I got lost.  I too memorised exits etc and did not read it whilst driving.  I now have a sat nav, a wonderful invention, so I no longer have to worry cause she'll direct me to where I want to go. (most times, she can go a bit do lally occasionally)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#46 14-03-06 13:22:48

DampDog
Verified Member

Pretty much how read it too.

Lots of sweeping assumptions, and pointless criticism of things which hadn't happened.

You've printed off the route and so everything will be fine. You'll be able to pop the interior light on every now and then to take a look at the route whilst you hold it on the steering wheel. Or maybe it will be on the front passenger seat.

Either way, you will be able to refocus your eyes for a few seconds to take a look to read your next instruction. How far will you travel whilst you get your eyes back on the road? At 70mph. it will be enough to almost pass your exit.

But I forget, you're extremely nervous so you might be travelling at 40mph. That will ensure you have enough cars immediately behind to provide protection for you and your car when the rear end shunt arrives 100 yard behind you.

Most journeys I'll print off a route so I have it fresh in my mind, then perhaps refresh my memory if I stop for a cuppa. 

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#47 14-03-06 13:34:13

Jewels

I never go on a journey no matter how small or large it is without planning first. I work it out, then remember it in my head. I also take a map or print out that thingy from the AA before I go just incase I forget something. Although I never look at it when driving, I always pull up first. Jeezzzz as I've said before I can't even wind a window down without wobbling a bit lol lol.

#48 14-03-06 13:38:01

Graham

Sammyj

Yes I am genuinely sorry you've been hurt, but I also take comfort in the fact that it has hopefully made you more aware of your responsibilities in the future.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the map/night/alone/motorway question that appeared to be the accepted thing. I understand your reply.

No choice in the journey? Not wanting to I think. You knew it was coming a few days before, yet you did little to quell your fears. I say again, trust your own feelings.

The fact remains you stood a higher than average (by a long way) chance of having an accident by your own admissision of being so ill prepared.   

Django
You don't need a print out to remember which junction you need.

As you well know, passing the L test doesn't mean you are ready for m/w driving at night alone.

People seem to be missing the point here.

Sammyj was clearly not ready for her trip. By doing it regardless, especially after realising her shortcomings was dangerous. Nothing can disguise that fact.

It's all very well saying 'there, there' after the event. The journey was made in spite of the feelings she had, not because of them.

#49 14-03-06 13:40:46

Graham

Dampdog

Where are the sweeping assumptions?
Where is the pointless criticism of things that haven't happened?

The only thing that hasn't happened is an accident and that's more by luck than judgement.

#50 14-03-06 13:41:30

Graham

Does this win an award for the fastest growing thread... big_smile

Board footer