You are not logged in.

#1 13-03-06 16:20:13

SammyJ

First Solo Drive on the Motorway! Arrrggghhh!

I have got to go to Portsmouth this evening and it will mean going on the Motorway ON MY OWN!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH! yikes :cry:   
Anyone got any advice or tips for me? I've only ever driven on the Motorway with someone in the car beside me.
Also, it'll be dark!!! *SammyJ starts to shake*

13-03-06 16:20:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Solo Drive on the Motorway! Arrrggghhh!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-03-06 16:40:25

Moominhater

oooohhhhhh i don't envy you.  Why don't they put lights on all motorways - it's a right pain when you get one that hasn't got lights - does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Anyway the only tips I can give you is to stay hot on the old observation.  If you have got a motorway with no lights on it, try to stay behind someone else cause it's right horrible when you can't see the road, oh and make sure you've planned your route in advance. And if it's a long journey stop at a services for a break cause driving at night can be strenuous on the old eyes.

Enjoy your journey.

Liz

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#3 13-03-06 16:50:32

SammyJ

Thanks for that Liz. I have printed off my route from RAC Route Planner so I know where I'm going (roughly!) but I'll still be nervous! :cry:

#4 13-03-06 16:53:44

Moominhater

I'm sure you'll be fine.  Depending on what time you're going you might find the motorway nice and quiet.

Liz

event.png
[/url]

#5 13-03-06 17:06:25

SammyJ

I'll be going about 7pm so hopefully it will be quiet then  smile

#6 13-03-06 17:14:02

Jewels

Awww I hate going on motorways when its pitch black. I just sit there hoping it won't break down. *Oops maybe not such a great thing to say*. Nah you will be ok smile

#7 13-03-06 17:24:03

Moominhater

Just incase you do, take a packet of crisps. 

I got stuck on the M6 the other Sunday when that bloke was trying to kill himself.  Three hours I was there for.  Luckily I was on my way back from a weekend away so I had loads of crisps and chocolate in the boot of the car.  My poor doggy wasn't amused though - he was bursting for a piddle.  I got him out on the motorway (everyone was stationery with engines turned off - before anyone starts to panic), but he was too interested in what all the people walking about were up to, so he wouldn't go.  I also had games on my phone and a newspaper to pass the time so wasn't too bad.

So my advice is, whenever you have to travel on a motorway make sure you take a packet of crisps with you.

Liz

event.png
[/url]

#8 13-03-06 17:45:42

SammyJ

That's a good tip Moominhater!

#9 13-03-06 18:34:51

la.monikita
Verified Member

keep good distance from a car in front, if you all alone, no other cars, stay in the middle, so you don't kill any wildlife, and damage your car smile

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#10 14-03-06 09:24:51

Jewels

How did it go then smile

#11 14-03-06 10:13:05

Moominhater

Thats a bit harsh, she was only asking for some advice which in my opinion is a good thing.

event.png
[/url]

#12 14-03-06 10:23:27

msdarcy721

I see your point Graham, though it's a little harsh (even as you said so yourself). Don't think it's going to inspire much confidence.

#13 14-03-06 10:53:26

New Girl
Verified Member

Well, he's planned his route and now is seeking advice from instuctors and other more experienced drivers.....To me that is all good and does not deserve your negative comments Graham.

Surley a newly qualified driver is allowed to be a bit nervous and ask for advice without getting that sort of negative feedback??

Good for you Sammy - I hope it went well and you enjoyed your 1st motorway venture
wink

#14 14-03-06 11:00:03

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya the other thing to remember when driving on a road without lights (or with lights ) is Never focus on the car headlights coming towards you, you will find you start to vier towards them wink

Anymore questions feel free to ask, not everyone is harsh with the replies wink

#15 14-03-06 11:10:59

Jewels

Maybe she was having a joke, you know taking the p*** out of herself as to how she may feel when on the motorway. I'm sure she planned well ahead and did fine. I've never been on a motorway yet & will be going on it soon but on a pass plus lesson & will probably feel the same when I do the first solo one too. I will probably on here posting more or less the same thing when I do, probably making light of the situation as well. Does that mean you are gonna be harsh with everyone as soon as they say they feel nervous. Ppl should be giving her support not posts that intend to drag her self confidence down.

Hope it went well SammyJ.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 14-03-06 11:21:01

Graham

If the reality of life is harsh, then so be it.

My replies are not negative. They are hopefully there to stop anyone else going out on the road when they are not ready for it.

I repeat, sammyj asked for advice 3 hours before the journey. How on earth is that good preparation?

Well, he's planned his route and now is seeking advice from instuctors and other more experienced drivers.....To me that is all good and does not deserve your negative comments Graham.

Surley a newly qualified driver is allowed to be a bit nervous and ask for advice without getting that sort of negative feedback??

Good for you Sammy - I hope it went well and you enjoyed your 1st motorway venture
wink

It may well have been good for sammyj, but how much danger/stress has been caused in this person's ridiculous quest to 'prove' their ability.......

#17 14-03-06 11:24:29

Moominhater

I agree with Jewels, there are a lot of idiots out there on the road who don't give a toss about there actions, the fact the SammyJ asked for advice whether it be two days or two hours before his/her journey to me says sammy is thinking ahead and not leaving it to chance.  As for you locking up your family because sammy is on the motorway - well what about all the idiots who use mobiles, put on there makeup, drink and drive, speed, just to be on the safe side you should never let your family out on the road.

Liz

event.png
[/url]

#18 14-03-06 11:32:38

Graham

Jewels.

Let's get one thing straight. My job is all about giving people confidence and I'm certainly not harsh with people who feel nervous.

But that's a whole world away from taking foolish risks when you are not confident, prepared and well trained. Sammyj was none of these.

Fact, you are more likely to have an accident early in your driving career. Why not accept that fact and do your best to safeguard yourself and others.

My whole point is that sammyj put their life at risk and others, through not taking the journey seriously.

Got themselves a print out of the journey. What good is that on a motorway at night?

Some people are in dire need of a reality check.

#19 14-03-06 11:35:46

Jewels

Graham,

And all I was saying was don't you think she maybe making light of the situation & she probably DID make preparations before the journey.
Let's not turn this into a argument as I'm sure she did the right thing before hand.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 14-03-06 11:39:15

Graham

the fact the SammyJ asked for advice whether it be two days or two hours before his/her journey to me says sammy is thinking ahead and not leaving it to chance. 

Liz

And pray tell me what advice were they expecting to get that would improve their chances with 3 hours to go?

The whole point is that sammyj was leaving everything to chance.

No training, no help from an experienced driver sitting in on a 'dry run'.

#21 14-03-06 11:42:49

Gizmotime
Administrator

Can we tone it down a little please, it's getting a little hairy now wink

The whole point now is at least SammyJ will know what to do next time, and yes give herself a little more time to prepare, but at least she asked wink

#22 14-03-06 11:43:24

markA.d.I

PASS PLUS ?????

Did Sammy do the above ???

It should be mandatory to complete it within 12 months of passing the test!

Take no chances on the motorway.

#23 14-03-06 11:47:06

Graham

Graham,

she probably DID make preparations before the journey.
......... I'm sure she did the right thing before hand.

If that's the case, where's the evidence of that preparation?

Sammyj is quite clearly saying the opposite...

If you think she did the right thing, I respect your opinion.

Though I have to say I think you are misplacing your trust.

I'm certainly not up for an argument. Just giving my opinion on what I feel is hopelessly misguided young driver.

#24 14-03-06 11:50:23

Gizmotime
Administrator

I don't think she has, and YES I agree that it should be made mandatory, after all you don't just stop learning when you pass you do you wink I have been driving for 35 years and am still learning wink

Graham, I respect your opinion don't think I don't.

Giz

#25 14-03-06 11:51:33

Jewels

Whats the title on her post, "First solo drive on the motorway". Shes probably taken that route loads of times as a passenger & prob know it like the back of the hand. And it is after all common sense to plan out a journey either on a motorway or a long drive. Christ ppl plan out which way they are going if just nipping out to the shops. I aint up for an argument either, just stating my opinion wink

Board footer