You are not logged in.

#1 21-05-04 16:05:30

catlip

What should I ask the training providers????

I am soon going to interviews with various ADI training providers and have a list of questions to ask them, but I have that feeling that there's at least one obvious question I have not thought of.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions of what I really should ask before I commit myself.

Many thanks in advance, Catlip.

21-05-04 16:05:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What should I ask the training providers????

#2 21-05-04 16:50:01

Accord

Hi Catlip

I have an interview on Monday, lets put our heads together.  Write down what Q's you have so far.  I may be able to help.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 21-05-04 18:44:18

adi
Verified Member
Website

One useful question is to ask how many other potential ADI's there will be in the car. When i trained there was three of us all taking turns and of course the trainer so it can all get a little crowded! If the trainers just teach one to one  your onto a winner, if there are just two trainees in the car that isn't so bad but if there are three of you then only a third of your precious time will be in the hot seat. smile

#4 22-05-04 09:11:31

catlip

Ok, here's my list of questions so far, in no particular order.

What qualifications do the trainers have?
Will I have the same trainer all the time?
Is the in car training 121, 221, other or a mixture?
Where is the training?
What car will the training be in? (I have big feet and long legs so I can't fit in all cars!)
Can I contact current or previous trainees?
What support is available? (phone, E-mail etc)
What training materials are provided?
Is there an extra charge for additional training if I take the trainee instructor option?
What are the payment arrangements? (I don't want to pay in full before training, or pay high interest rates)
When can I do the training? (outside office hours would be more convenient for me)
Who conducts mock tests, and what are their qualifications?
Are there additional fees for further training if I fail any exams?
Can I swap trainers if I necessary?
What is their pass rate, first time and overall?
What is their drop out rate?
Does the training for the 3 parts overlap?
Do they have a complaints procedure? (the best companies don't need one, but have one anyway).
Do they decline anyone for training or do they take anyone who's willing to pay?
Can I see a franchise contract, preferably to take away?
How many instructors do they have in my area, and can I contact them?
If I have to stop training for any reason can I get a refund of any fees paid in advance?

I intend to put the list of questions on a Word document ready to print off and take with me. With some companies some questions have already been answered by their literature or website, so I'll just fill in the answers before I go.

Hope these are useful, any more to add to the list would be appreciated.

Accord, who is your interview with?
ADI, thanks for that, I personally feel that for part 3 having 2 trainees would be useful for some of the training, but not all, and I can imagine that 3 would be too many, especially if it's hot!!!

Catlip. 8)

#5 22-05-04 13:50:00

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Catlip,

That's a good set of questions you have prepared. If all trainees did such a thorough job it would help to get rid of some of the cowboy outfits.

As I've said on other posts there are 2 distinct issues. The most important one is your training, please don't get this muddled up with the 2nd issue concerning who you will work for once you are qualified.

All that should matter for now is passing each exam 1st time. You should be better off using an ORDIT registered training school, but you will still need to apply yourself very carefully to what is taught.

Once you have your 'green badge' you are a valuable commodity and can work for pretty much who you like, again do your research, shop around and get some proper legal advice before signing any contracts.

Please let us know which way you choose, how these companies answer your questions and how good the training is.

Good luck with it all.

Regards,

#6 23-05-04 18:35:24

catlip

Thanks bigred,
You've reminded me to ask why companies aren't ORDIT registered (I'm considering non ORDIT due to location).
This is an important investment in my future so I want to make the right decision, which is why I've got so much to ask.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

Catlip.

#7 23-05-04 18:56:33

Badger

What does the syllabus cover ?

Is there a copy available ?

Do they explain how the test booking procedure works and how the routine at TCs works.

What about the conduct of tests

What input do they have with regard to Learners taking the Theory test.

I  have suggested these questions because I note on another forum that a newly qualified ADI is asking what should be taught on the Safety Questions. 

She should never have been put in that position by her trainers.

What would she have done if the forum was not available I wonder ?

Badger

#8 25-05-04 10:09:41

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I am learning with LDC and although I have found them very good - I have become very aware that they are teaching me to pass the Part 3 test rather than teaching me to become an instructor. For example they have no part 3 session on Roundabouts because there is no PST for it. (Also - no mention of the Show & Tell questions). At the end of the course, I should be fully prepared to take the Part3 test. I will NOT be fully prepared to teach a pupil from beginner to test standard.

From a financial point of view I can understand this as it keeps the course costs down but to be perfectly honest I thought I signed on to become a driving instructor, not just to pass the tests.  This is probably also a fault with the way the DSA have set up the testing system by using role-play PSTs rather than some form of check test with a real pupil.

Despite their faults, if you do go for a driving school, I would recommend LDC. Just don't beleive all the marketing literature you get at the start. They are not dishonest like some, but they are designed to sell you a product rather than give you all the facts.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#9 25-05-04 22:06:03

Josie

Hi MrBassMan

I suppose thats how most of these company's get you to take up the Franchise contact with them.......Practical experience....What do you reckon? I will certainly be asking more questions ref; once I have qualified because if it doesnt prepare you enough  for the actual teaching, then I want to make sure I am happy with my franchise deal.

roll

#10 30-05-04 09:11:16

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

Hi MrBassMan,

Just for the record a crossroads, which has a PST, can be controlled by a roundabout.

(As I found out when the SE debriefed me after a part 3 test)

Regards, John  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#11 30-05-04 11:47:16

Badger

It is for the same reason that the word "roundabout" doesn't appear on the DL25.

They are treated as junctions for approaches and exits and all the other sections of the DL 25, such as observation, use of mirrors, lane discipline, anticipation etc come into play as the area is traversed.

Badger

#12 31-05-04 10:01:42

Liesa

Badger and John

Good point about the Crossroads/roundabouts, but I think the point that being made is, that nobody seems to actually teach PDIs, how to teach roundabouts as a subject.

You can argue all you like that, a roundabout is a crossroad with an island in the middle, but do you actually teach them the same?

I always deal with roundabouts as a completly seperate subject, and think that they should be taught to PDIs in the same way!

Another subject that seems to go amiss is changing gear, how many of you were actually taught by your trainers, how to teach this particular part of driving?

Show me tell me questions are now part of the part 2 exam, and along with a copy of the show me tell me questions, should be enough to enable PDIs to teach this part of the driving sylabus. (available to print off the DSA web site)

#13 01-06-04 15:37:44

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Show me tell me are NOT part of the part2 exam, for some reason the DSA feel it's not necessary for us to have this knowledge  :?

There are some questions in Part 1 which touch on this area though.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#14 01-06-04 16:17:11

Badger

The Part three exam for ADIs  is a basic exam with a limited syllabus.

The syllabus could be broadened to take in  roundabouts, dual carriageways, multistory car parks and a whole host of other topics of normal driving, and certainly there is no restriction on including these in the check test, but the syllabus would become huge and the training for the exam prohibitively expensive.

For the same reason the Test Report Form would become unwieldy so they have simplified it down to the core skills and applied those to everything else. Seems logical to me.

An ADI should be able to take any subject, break it down into its component parts, and teach it following the principles of MSMPSL.

All the information you need is in the Driving Manual (Known by the rather stupid title of Driving the Essential Skills).

Badger

#15 12-06-04 18:42:46

Gustafa

Took the words right out of my mouth Badger. As you said a good instructor should be able to use there teaching skills to teach any thing.  I did the 7307 City & Guilds Adult teaching certificate 2 years ago and the skills that you need to teach in a class room are very much the same as we use every day.  So as far as i am concerned I teach my PDI's to teach, so they can to teach roundabouts. Mr Bassman.

lol  lol :twisted:  lol

Board footer